Help for Hearing Impairment

Options

Comments

• Discogod
    Discogod Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    (How do i search for my own posts within a thread?)

I went back to the Audiology dept today for my replacement appointment to the one i had before xmas where i turned up & the staff didn't know what to do (as the trained people were off). Only to turn up again today, and guess what, the staff didn't know what to do (as the trained people were off). Talk about incompetent.

They will email/call me when they know what's going on....
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Discogod wrote: »
    (How do i search for my own posts within a thread?)
    Click on your username, and you'll see an option for listing all your posts. or you can use the search function too, at the top of the thread there is a 'search this thread' button, click on that and then 'advanced search' and you can put your username in.
    Discogod wrote: »
    I went back to the Audiology dept today for my replacement appointment to the one i had before xmas where i turned up & the staff didn't know what to do (as the trained people were off). Only to turn up again today, and guess what, the staff didn't know what to do (as the trained people were off). Talk about incompetent.

They will email/call me when they know what's going on....
    While you're waiting, search the hospital website for PALS or 'contact us' and find the Patient Liaison office - some are called 'talk to us' or similar. Phone or email them explaining that you have now made two abortive trips to Audiology because the staff you need to see have not been available, and you would prefer this not to happen a 3rd time. Meanwhile you are unable to ...

Hopefully they will then put a rocket under Audiology to ensure it doesn't happen again, and that they do actually get back to you in a timely fashion!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Hear-Hear
    Hear-Hear Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    Discogod wrote: I went back to the Audiology dept today for my replacement appointment ............the trained people were off........again today...........the trained people were off.

That is absolutely shocking Discogod. Whilst it is common enough to have NHS appointments cancelled /postponed for various reasons, I really can't imagine "the trained people were off" being an excuse offered by any other Hospital Dept.

It really is about time that Hearing Aid provision was moved out of the NHS, just like general optical services were moved many years ago. Just imagine if we still had to go to hospital for an eye-test and were given glasses there without any choice as to style etc.

Just as the Ophthamics Dept in a Hospital only deal with medical aspects of vision impairment, so it should be the only "trained" Audiologiy people needed in the NHS would be the Consultants, who deal with medical aspects of ear disorders, balance issues, etc.

With the disbanding of the NHS, that time cannot be too far away, and can never be soon enough.
  • Guardsman
    Guardsman Posts: 991 Forumite
    Options
    Had my hearing aids fitted today I now realise how bad my hearing was. When I had my ears tested the audiologist said I would be getting a pair of Siemens Impact but was informed today that the staff were not trained in programming them so ended up having the Oticon Spirit Zest.
    I have been wearing them a couple of hours and they seem fine TV has gone down from being full blast to just under halfway.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
  • sandraanne
    Options
    I have beeen on the RNID site aswell but also go on a company called connevans web site they are located in Reigate Surrey and are quite often cheaper than the RNID I have bought loops to use with my mobile phone and mp3 player from them
  • Guardsman
    Options
    As I mentioned before I was issued with a pair of Oticon Spirit Zest.The audiologist only activated two channels 1 being General 2 Loop System, General seems fine in quiet situations but if there is anybody else in the house the noise behind me seems excessively loud,If I'm watching TV in the lounge the noise from the kitchen can be very annoying and the loop does not work at all when using the phone.
    I gave up asking the young lady who did the fitting any basic technical questions when she would reply with she did not have a clue or she was not that good should they not familiarise themselves with the equipment they issue especially when it's been available for ages..
    Don't get me wrong I'm not a whinger but I have looked forward to getting these hearing aids for months and had expected a bit more effort from the audiologist/fitter especially when she was wearing hearing aids herself.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
  • Hear-Hear
    Hear-Hear Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    Such a shame that the service did not meet your expectations, but the fact is that if you want a superior quality product, or better personal service, or no-wait appointments, discreet cosmetics, or whatever.... you will only get that by going private. Having said that, there is intense competition in the private sector now with a number of well-known brands having entered the market in the last few years. This has meant costs of hearing aids have fallen by over 50%, while the technology available and the service provided, has gone up and up. The NHS is doing the best it can, but training has been one the first areas to suffer from the cutbacks. It is not likely to improve until the GP consortia get the funds (instead of the PCT's) and start being able to choose where to send their patients.

Your Telecoil will only work with a telephone if your phone is "hearing aid compatible". This will be shown in your User Manual. You can see in something like the Argos catalogue which phones are compatible and which are not.

Don't lay too much store by the fact that your audiologist has hearing aids herself. It is quite likely that she has bought them privately, and they may well be vastly superior to what the NHS can provide.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    when are you due to go back for checking to see how you are getting on? I'd suggest asking for directional to be activated, it's the one I use most!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Guardsman
    Options
    Hear-Hear wrote: »

Your Telecoil will only work with a telephone if your phone is "hearing aid compatible". This will be shown in your User Manual. You can see in something like the Argos catalogue which phones are compatible and which are not.

Don't lay too much store by the fact that your audiologist has hearing aids herself. It is quite likely that she has bought them privately, and they may well be vastly superior to what the NHS can provide.

I got the phone from Argos because it did say on it that it was hearing aid compatible.
    I was not questioning the quality of her hearing aids I just expected a bit more effort from a person who should know by her own experience how important hearing aids can be to a persons quality of life.
  • Guardsman
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    when are you due to go back for checking to see how you are getting on? I'd suggest asking for directional to be activated, it's the one I use most!

March 30th but hopefully I can get a appointment a bit sooner than that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure