Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Don't buy charity Christmas Cards

Options
P__G
P__G Posts: 228 Forumite
I was appalled the other certain companies donate less than 10% of the profit (not sale cost) to the charity in question. Please buy directly from the charity store instead - OXfam sell their own on line at http://www.oxfam.co.uk/shop and I know that The Red Cross in my nearby and also Marie Curie Cancer Shop also sell their own.

This was 100% of the profit goes to the charity :T

Comments

• I agree, don't buy the ones you see in high street shops as some pathetically small amount will actually go to the charity. Two sites I have found useful that give much higher percentages are:

www.charitycards.co.uk
    This site sells a range of charity Christmas cards on behalf of the charities themselves, and 66% of the price is paid to the relevant charity. They have a nice selection and you can browse by charity or look at all the charity cards. The site gives details of how they calcuate royalites and which charities participate.

www.cardaid.co.uk
    Cardaid are more expensive, but the cards are very nice indeed. They say that 100% of the profits go to the charity (again, they sell for a range of charities) and that that means that between 40-60% of the price of the cards goes to charity. They guarantee that a minimum of 25% is donated, which is, as they say, far more than with the high street packs.

Both these companies will also print personalised cards if you want those. I have bought from both in recent years and been happy.
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agreed, only very small percentages go to charities.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    Buy direct from the charity. You can then target your donation to the charity of your choice and they get all the profit as a donation. If the charity doesn't have a shop, check out thier website.
  • glitter123
    Options
    I normally buy mine from a stall set up in our local library which I believe is run by volunteers. Is that ok?
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just check on the back, more often than not these will be a local charity.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • papadoc
    papadoc Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    You may however buy our Christmas Cards where all profit is for the special babies at our baby hospice.
    You may order from here:-
    http://www.zoesplaceliverpool.org/christmas-cards-now-on-sale
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try local art galleries. Sometimes local artists will produce cards and calenders for local charities with as much as 80% going to the charity.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alternatively, print off your own cheap paper cards with a happy photo on the front and make a donation to charity.
  • sarah1980
    sarah1980 Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't buy any cards at all. The people I want to wish Merry Christmas to I will make the effort to see at Christmas time. Those who are abroad get a phonecall. The money I save gets donated to our LOCAL hospice, I have to say I don't agree with donating to large charities such as Oxfam etc. as I used to run corporate golf days etc. and these charities used to get £10,000's in one day from these. Also, is they can afford to advertise on TV they must be doing OK.
  • ahai1
    ahai1 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is also Smiles 4 all though it is an American site. http://smiles4all.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure