PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What is the Waltham Cross area like?

Options
Have been looking at possible 'London fringe' areas with good access to the countryside, North London and London Liverpool Street station, and was wondering if anyone had any feedback / opinion about the Waltham Cross / Waltham Abbey areas?

Thanks!

Comments

• ray123
    ray123 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Not too sure, but here is a link with some useful facts...

http://www.findaproperty.com/areadetails.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&areaid=1256

For example,
    Waltham Cross Average asking pricesbullet_simplemenu.gif1 Bed Flats£133,605 bullet_simplemenu.gif2 Bed Flats £169,478bullet_simplemenu.gif3 Bed Flatsbullet_simplemenu.gif 2 Bed Houses £234,785bullet_simplemenu.gif3 Bed Houses£254,486 bullet_simplemenu.gif4 Bed Houses £395,533

It also has crime statistics...

Please let me know what the area is like if you do buy (I am looking to buy at end of next year!!!)
  • taffam
    taffam Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I live in EN7 (very close to Waltham X) and hand on heart I could not recommend it. There is a fair bit of crime and gangs of youths hanging around everywhere. All of the shops in the town centre are closed down and boarded up and the train service is quite infrequent from there.

I would recommend Cheshunt as a better option, it is right next door but a much nicer area and the train service is better here as it's a main station on the line.

Waltham Abbey is a bit of a historical town, with plenty of pubs! It is nicer that Waltham Cross but trains again are not so good here.

Hope this helps!
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd try to avoid if I were you. It's a bit "rough".
    Also they're about to start building a big estate on the other side of the A10, which can't help things.

I'd say try to come north of Cheshunt, personally. Turnford / Wormley are nice. Broxbourne of probably out of your price range if you are looking at Waltham Cross. Hoddesdon's nice. Or go east a bit and look at Harlow?
  • taffam
    taffam Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Broxbourne is nice, but you can get some bargains there, I lived there for 3 years in a 2 bed flat in a really nice estate for only 625 per month, there is a flat there now in fact for rent at 680 per month - if you can afford it, Broxbourne is a good choice.

Not so keen on Wormley myself, not much better than Waltham Cross and there's not much there.

Harlow isn't my cup of tea either, but it is up and coming with plenty to do I guess so may be worth a look - property is reasonable there too, but never seems to increase in value
  • lowis
    lowis Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thank you! no wonder the houses seem so 'cheap' then...! i can buy a 2/3 bed house for the same as my central london 1-bed flat. i'll look at waltham abbey and cheshunt - thanks for the hints.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Waltham Abbey I know well. It is a bit of a depressing dump with large council estates, and really cheap and nasty town centre and VERY poor schools. Depends on your outlook on life, but for me a not somewhere I would want to live.

Turnford and North are ok, Ware is better still. If you have the money, Hertford and Bishops Stortford have some excellent schools and overall pleasant middle class feel (with rough bits of course). Cheshunt has gone down hill and could soon be like Waltham Cross, although West Cheshunt is not bad.
    Harlow has tons of repossessions and bad schools again.
  • Amino
    Amino Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    From the pick of the train line, I would have Ware/Hertford/Broxbourne/St Margarets in that order, I live in Hertford atm but I think Ware pips it as its a larger town center with nice pubs and restaurants. But either is pleasant. I would not go anywhere near Waltham Cross, Rye House etc

I commute from there to Canary Wharf daily. leave house at 7:30, train is at 7:39 get to Stratford at 08:40 and at work for 9.

If you work in the City then its even quicker with a fast train service stopping at Broxbourne
  • monkeyman1974
    Options
    I've lived in Hertford, Ware, and now Broxbourne (superb train line in). I think the best of the bunch for smaller terraces/flats is Ware. Hertford has gone downhill fast and is now suffering from being just a drinking venue for some.

Waltham Cross is ok, but like Cheshunt can get a bit punchy (plus it's full of Spurs fans (which is good or bad of course)). Go out there one night though to check.

Try Harlow and Roydon too. Esp Harlow, which gets a bad press but offers serious value, and quite a lot of green areas, a new pool on the way, cycle lanes, town centre park. It is cheap for a reason and has a few problems with drugs etc, but where does n't.
  • chiefgoobster
    chiefgoobster Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    Options
    Waltham Cross is similar to Beirut.Even the Macdonalds gave up hope some time ago and closed down.I only go to Waltham Cross for the Wickes DIY store !
    If your lucky numbers come up on the lottery, check out Cuffley.Some places up there have garages bigger than my house.
    Am the proud holder of an Honours Degree
    in tea-making.

Do people who keep giraffes have high overheads ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure