Induction Hob - Halogen Hob

Options
Anyone tell me what the differece is between the 2 please?
Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional

Comments

• totalsolutions
    Options
    One lights up and gets hot to touch and the other doesnt
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've recently bought a Siemens induction hob and I wouldn't go back to halogen or ceramic now.

The induction ring only works if a pan is on it so if it's left on by accident, it wont work iyswim.

It's massively faster than my previous halogen....it has a pan of potatoes at the boil in no time and it has instant response to heat reduction...so once you're boiling, you can go to a low simmer immediately.

Once you've stopped cooking, the ring itself is only hand hot for a minute or so (which is really only residual heat transferring back from the pan base and not the ring itself) then is cool again, unlike my halogen which stayed hot for ages afterwards.

Most pans will work with halogen....only pans suitable for induction will work on induction. I had to go to the expense of replacing mine but as they were on their last legs anyway, I didn't mind.

I'm told it is cheaper to run as it's faster and more responsive but I cant really comment on that as it's not something I've been overly concerned about tbh. :confused:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I also have an induction hob, and its awesome. If you can afford it, get one.
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    ...only pans suitable for induction will work on induction. :confused:
    Ah ha, so can I use an aluminium pressure cooker on a halogen? :confused:
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    10past6 wrote: »

I had a demonstration of an induction hob recently and if I remember correctly the base of the pan has to be magnetic, not sure about halogen though.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    10past6 wrote: »

Yes. I had an aluminium pressure cooker when I had my halogen but cant now use it on my induction hob. As it happens I also had a steel based one too which I can still use. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Options
    That's me sorted then, thanks :T

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure