Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > free speed camera software for sat nav. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
free speed camera software for sat nav.
Closed Thread
Views: 23,773
# 1
alositha
Old 27-11-2005, 11:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default free speed camera software for sat nav.

download and install speed camera database on your sat nav system for free.
it is compatible with tomtom, navman, garmin, alk copilot etc. use following link for more information and free download.no catches no personal information need to give.
simply download and install in your system. follow the instruction for the appropriate file types in the READ ME file!!!

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php
The Following User Says Thank You to alositha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mike_paterson
Old 19-01-2009, 5:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is now a chargeable service !
To infinity and beyond!
# 3
photome
Old 19-01-2009, 5:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_paterson View Post
This is now a chargeable service !

But the OP is over 3 years old and the site still only charge 19 for a year and I dont know of a more comprehensive and continually updated speedcamera database than them.
# 4
UKoap
Old 31-03-2009, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by photome View Post
But the OP is over 3 years old and the site still only charge 19 for a year and I dont know of a more comprehensive and continually updated speedcamera database than them.
Fair enough but it used to offer one month for 2..what happened to that? A backward step surely.. I used to contribute to the database and never asked for a fee..why should I pay for what is in effect voluntary contributions?
I don't mind 2 now and then but 19 is greed.
# 5
Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
Old 31-03-2009, 5:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I don't pay anything for it, because I submitted camera positions to them before they began charging
# 6
park_gate
Old 29-10-2009, 6:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You can get free speed cameras from any of the following:

gpsinform.com
gps-data-team.com
poigenie.co.uk/speed_cameras

pocketgpsworld.com are a bit of a rip off as they got their users to collect the data then they started charging.

I think gpsinform.com is the best as it covers the whole of Europe.
# 7
bigman1
Old 30-10-2009, 9:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
I don't pay anything for it, because I submitted camera positions to them before they began charging
Quote:
pocketgpsworld.com are a bit of a rip off as they got their users to collect the data then they started charging.
Well i used the above for some time, years in fact, while subscribed i provided information of a camera location, was the first to provide it aswell, but "Their" Team / volunteers, never got around to verifying this, that involves someone that is a member or provides the info to them actually going to the point (longtitude latitude etc) and seeing the camera (in my case a mobile camera) in action, this never happened, but i was advised that there wouldn't be much argument over me providing a Photo with certain buildings etc in the background to identify the area, after a long time i managed to get the pics and submitted them, i was then bombarded with excuses such as the length of time since the original post did not count and therefore wouldn't qualify for free lifetime subscription,
Thats how "They" get their camera submissions, by getting others to do the work and not keeping their end of the bargain, not good, But i have recognised there is more than this site providing cameras, 19.99 is expensive for young family's on a budget, Tom Tom themselves were doing an offer recently cheaper than the described, and there are plenty of other databases that are very acurate and up to date, i have even had the old "what is the problem? when you split this up over 12 months, at the cost of saving you a fine or points on your licence" this makes you feel the guilty one, and can push you in the direction of subscription, but as above shown there are other sites free / and subscriptions, a bit more realistic.
bigman1
# 8
nomoneytoday
Old 30-10-2009, 10:04 AM

TomTom now charge 15.99 as a special offer for their camera database
# 9
Premier
Old 30-10-2009, 10:23 AM

This thread is almost 4 years old

hence unsurprising the OP's post may not now be valid.
# 10
terryya
Old 30-10-2009, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman1 View Post
Well i used the above for some time, years in fact, while subscribed i provided information of a camera location, was the first to provide it aswell, but "Their" Team / volunteers, never got around to verifying this, that involves someone that is a member or provides the info to them actually going to the point (longtitude latitude etc) and seeing the camera (in my case a mobile camera) in action, this never happened, but i was advised that there wouldn't be much argument over me providing a Photo with certain buildings etc in the background to identify the area, after a long time i managed to get the pics and submitted them, i was then bombarded with excuses such as the length of time since the original post did not count and therefore wouldn't qualify for free lifetime subscription,
Thats how "They" get their camera submissions, by getting others to do the work and not keeping their end of the bargain, not good, But i have recognised there is more than this site providing cameras, 19.99 is expensive for young family's on a budget, Tom Tom themselves were doing an offer recently cheaper than the described, and there are plenty of other databases that are very acurate and up to date, i have even had the old "what is the problem? when you split this up over 12 months, at the cost of saving you a fine or points on your licence" this makes you feel the guilty one, and can push you in the direction of subscription, but as above shown there are other sites free / and subscriptions, a bit more realistic.
bigman1

You don't get free lifetime membership for mobile cameras, only fixed ones.

I know the thread is old but the point is still valid
# 11
bigman1
Old 30-10-2009, 1:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

terrya
i'm not going to get into a dispute about it, but at the time i was using it, it was any submissions, mobiles, fixed, specs, or other, and it was for anything not only newly erected but also taken down / removed or area no longer used by police to reduce speeding, if your a member, you should now this, if you don't, have a read, the information was there, unless they have removed it, this post is old, and my point is valid too, i checked back on the site recently to put my own mind at rest, I'd like to add, as i'm not ashamed to say it, i aired my views after being "knocked back" for free lifetime subscription for that very reason, and i don't think i will be using it again, regardless of whether i got banned from there or not, they contridicted their original requests, when i came up with the goods i was declined free lifetime subscription, as i said they didn't keep to their end of the bargain!
Because they are greedy and want 19.99.
# 12
harveybobbles
Old 30-10-2009, 7:46 PM

Why not just stick to the speed limits...?
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
# 13
park_gate
Old 29-11-2009, 2:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default avoid rip of merchants and go for free speed camera databases

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybobbles View Post
Why not just stick to the speed limits...?
Good point and I'm sure there are people who think speed camera alerts will help them break the law and that is why they are prepared to pay for them but that’s not the point of the alerts.

The cameras are clearly sign posted and the fix ones are painted bright yellow and they are marked on road maps. The authorities want people to drive carefully where they are located because of previous accidents.

You don’t need the alerts provided you are not driving around with your eyes closed (and some people do seem to do this) but the alerts do help the driver and so reduce the driver work load and improve safety.

As this is a money saving web site can I suggest people avoid the rip of merchants and go for free speed camera databases from someone like the following:

gpsinform.com
gps-data-team.com
poigenie.co.uk/speed_cameras

I can personally recommend gpsinform.com both for the UK and if you are planning a trip to France.

Last edited by park_gate; 29-11-2009 at 2:31 PM.
# 14
molerat
Old 29-11-2009, 9:19 PM

The gpsinform premium which is the equivalent to pocketgpsworld is 30, 50% dearer. The free version is, IMO, a waste of time. Just gives a "speed camera of some description" warning whereas the premium, as in pgpsw, will give type of camera, speed limit and direction.
# 15
park_gate
Old 30-11-2009, 7:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
The gpsinform premium which is the equivalent to pocketgpsworld is 30, 50% dearer. The free version is, IMO, a waste of time. Just gives a "speed camera of some description" warning whereas the premium, as in pgpsw, will give type of camera, speed limit and direction.
gpsinform.com is not equivalent to pocketgpsworld IMO it is much better as it covers the whole of Europe.

I want speed camera alerts when Im driving in France as Im driving on unfamiliar roads and the speed cameras are not painted bright yellow.

The free version of gpsinform gives two types of warnings fixed or mobile cameras which is more than enough for me.

If you want free speed limit alerts then use gps-data-team.com but I prefer the two POI database files for the whole of Europe from gpsinform.com.

I not sure what you mean about direction. If you are driving on a dual carriageway and you select warn if on route than gpsinform.com will only alert if the speed camera is on your carriageway. This is to do with the way TomTom works and nothing to do with the database (unless TomTom have some new feature I dont know about).

The thing about pocketgpsworld is they started off free which encouraged their users to submit speed cameras and then when the database got to a reasonable size they started changing. This left many of their users feeling ripped off. Do you really want to deal with a company like that?
# 16
bigman1
Old 03-12-2009, 2:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by park_gate View Post
gpsinform.com is not equivalent to pocketgpsworld IMO it is much better as it covers the whole of Europe.

I want speed camera alerts when Im driving in France as Im driving on unfamiliar roads and the speed cameras are not painted bright yellow.

The free version of gpsinform gives two types of warnings fixed or mobile cameras which is more than enough for me.

If you want free speed limit alerts then use gps-data-team.com but I prefer the two POI database files for the whole of Europe from gpsinform.com.

I not sure what you mean about direction. If you are driving on a dual carriageway and you select warn if on route than gpsinform.com will only alert if the speed camera is on your carriageway. This is to do with the way TomTom works and nothing to do with the database (unless TomTom have some new feature I dont know about).

The thing about pocketgpsworld is they started off free which encouraged their users to submit speed cameras and then when the database got to a reasonable size they started changing. This left many of their users feeling ripped off. Do you really want to deal with a company like that?
I'll second that, i was with them for some time and to be fair they were real accurate, which puts them up near the top of providers for speed cameras, and to be Frank, i don't mind paying a little to keep the site going, and the hard work individuals put in, but some people are out of work, some people are on budgets, some people already lay out enough for their monthly / weekly outgoings etc, this place got greedy and people recognised it, and when questioned mods or other on the site got all defensive, its not the end of the world, there are plenty of other good sites, some you pay less some you will be paying as much, tom tom were even sending discount codes out via e-mail to have their speed camera updates, for me, i was annoyed at the fact that i provided everything requested and even provided photo's (under instruction) and they still didn't want to give free lifetime membership, so they contridicted what they originally said and went back on their word, SO, thats not a site i wish to use any more, i'll look around for a realistic site.
Regards
# 17
hagarthor
Old 05-05-2010, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default speed cameras

Try scdb for much better value 36 countries for app 9 for 12 month
# 18
nomoneytoday
Old 07-05-2010, 11:53 AM

poiplaza comes recommended on other forums