Hubby setting up new plastering business; how much should he charge?

Options
Hi folks (hope I've posted in correct place?)
My hubby is a qualified plasterer (& a very good one), but he's not done it since he was 19 (he's now 35) & as he's just been made redundant again he's wanting to set up his own plastering business.
The work is coming in so far from word of mouth but the prob is he doesn't know what to charge!
He recently plastered a neighbours loft conversion fully (with all its pointy roof) for £100 & I thought that this was way too cheap esp as it inc materials (which cost £74 & took him 2 weekends-he was working at time during wk).
He's also just plastered around someone's doorframe (door frame was missing) & only charged them £20, but as he ended up replacing door frame he worked at a loss!
But how do you know what to charge people?
He ob doesn't want to over charge & he may be bit slower than your average plasterer as he's been a welder for 16yrs, but I'm sure the practise will help him get faster & he's a really good plasterer (bit of a perfectionist though, which may hinder him as he'll redo whole job if he's not happy!)
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mel.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i would have thought £15. £20 an hour if he is self employed. He has tax to pay, vehicle to run, insurances etc,

Whydont you ring another local plasterer up and just ask what they charge an hour
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    I think it depends on what area, as london and south rates are more expensive.
    Also, as he is a bit slow being out of touch, he might have to charge a little less for a day rate, or a job rate till he gets his speed up, which shouldnt take long.:D

I am a decorator,and know what I can do in a day, so I can look at a job, and in 10 mins know how long its going to take, as I know I want X amount per day, I just multiply it by how many days.
    Admittidly I have got it wrong, even now lol, as when I give a price for 'the job' I stick to it, so If its taken me a half day, or even a day longer that I anticipated (and its still does happen):rolleyes: I would not dream of charging the client extra, as its my fault, as I worked it out wrong.
    But on the otherhand, if I stripped a wall, and half the wall came away (hasnt happened yet, I hasten to add) :D then of course its not my fault.

Have a look at some of the previous threads on 'Is this quote fair', you should find loads of posters being quoted prices, also 'Jason S' he's a plasterer that posts on here should be along, and he might be able to give you more info.
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Melly31 wrote: »
    Hi folks (hope I've posted in correct place?)
    My hubby is a qualified plasterer (& a very good one), but he's not done it since he was 19 (he's now 35) & as he's just been made redundant again he's wanting to set up his own plastering business.
    The work is coming in so far from word of mouth but the prob is he doesn't know what to charge!
    He recently plastered a neighbours loft conversion fully (with all its pointy roof) for £100 & I thought that this was way too cheap esp as it inc materials (which cost £74 & took him 2 weekends-he was working at time during wk).
    He's also just plastered around someone's doorframe (door frame was missing) & only charged them £20, but as he ended up replacing door frame he worked at a loss!
    But how do you know what to charge people?
    He ob doesn't want to over charge & he may be bit slower than your average plasterer as he's been a welder for 16yrs, but I'm sure the practise will help him get faster & he's a really good plasterer (bit of a perfectionist though, which may hinder him as he'll redo whole job if he's not happy!)
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mel.

Sounds like your neighbour got a bargain! I can find him loads of work at my house at that price - not in the South East are you? :D
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    a minimum of 100 per day plus materials.
    i had a large room (inc the ceiling) done a few yrs ago. (with a few other bits) total was 650 quid.
    Get some gorm.
  • jason_s_2
    Options
    Your hubby has been taken for a mug im afraid, i agree with ormus tho, as he is still a bit slow and needs the experience then £100 + mats is about right. When he gets to know the job better he will start to know what to charge on pricework.
  • oilit
    oilit Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    I have just paid a guy 160 cash inc materials for plastering a new ceiling which is about 25' x 18' approx and thats dun soth. He was a known quantity and does a good job - had tons of people tell me id paid quite a lot - but frankly I wanted the job done and done well. He had it done in about 5 hours all in.
  • sodamnfunky
    sodamnfunky Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    Options
    £100? I can get him loads of work at £100 for that kind of area.

He needs to be charging at least £15 per hour(£120 for an 8 hour day). A lot of plasterers I know do it by the square footage a bit like tilers.
  • sparky883
    Options
    Theres more to his costs to add if hes seriously going self-employed
    Regiseter with Inland revenue
    Public Liability insurance
    Commersial driving insurance policy
    Waste transfer licience
    Accountant
    It all adds up-You cannot just go around taking Money off the public for work done and then pocket it.
    Its silly little things you dont think about like your Car insurance will not cover you if you are using your car/van for work.
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • fatnbald
    Options
    I paid around £180 for a days work inc material to skim a new ceiling 3m x 3m plus skimming a new partition wall 3m x 2.4m along with a fair bit of patching around the ceiling edge.

The guy I used did it over 2 half days at a weekend, he has a very good reputation and the work was really top quality, I am in North Wales.
    Signature No Longer acceptable -
    Please key in PIN ****
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, for everyday accounts (to give to your accountant at year end)
    buy a Simplex D accounts book from W H Smith. You can tell at a glance
    where you are with accounts, money in the bank etc. They are just so easy to use.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport