Main site > Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > earliest you can tax a car so don't lose a month?... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
earliest you can tax a car so don't lose a month???
Closed Thread
Views: 54,839
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 23-09-2008, 7:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Default earliest you can tax a car so don't lose a month???

Hi All,
Just bought a car, now need to tax it, at the moment my friend who bought it for me has it at his lock up, so off road, I don't want to tax it and lose a months tax (we are on a budget here!!!!) so does anyone know the earliest I can tax it and not lose out? :confused: or will I have to wait till next Tuesday????

thanks all
chelleyb is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 23-09-2008, 7:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Outside my Right Mind
Posts: 20,592

If it currently has no tax it will be the first of the month (Wednesday 1st October) I'm afraid.
2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
Rikki is offline
Report Post
# 3
Old 23-09-2008, 8:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,814

You can buy a tax disc to start on October 1st from today. HOWEVER you cannot drive it on the road as the tax disc isn't valid until October 1st and if you were caught driving it before then, you would have the car seized and be liable for a fine. The only way you could drive it now would be to tax it from 1st September thus losing 3 weeks.
Conor is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 23-09-2008, 8:55 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pontypridd
Posts: 13,132

What you should do is

1. SORN it today online

2. Obtain nsurance from the 1st Oct and get certificate

3. Tax it to be valid from the 1st Oct on or after the 25th September but the post office probably don't know there is a restriction of 5 days prior only (where there has been a break in Tax) and they would probably allow it to be paid for from 15 days prior. But they shouldn't really.
Wig is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Old 24-09-2008, 3:00 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,208

It's worth checking the official website

The paying early is only available for a car already taxed, and apparently it's now from the 5th.

I think that in the past I was told that in those circumstances ( I bought from a dealer), the disc could only be bought one day beforehand. Now it appears to be two days:

If your vehicle has been untaxed, because you’ve just bought it, the tax disc has run out or a SORN is in force, you can tax from the first day of the month in which you apply.

If you want the tax disc to start on the first day of the next calendar month, you cannot tax your vehicle more than two days in advance.

I'd get an insurance certificate organised, borrow the MOT, and arrange to officially change the ownership on the last day of this month. Take the transfer part of the registration document to the Post Office, and let them send it off to Swansea.
redux is offline
Report Post
# 6
Old 24-09-2008, 7:29 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,974

I don't know what kind of car it is but I'll take a stab at the tax working out at about 15 a month. If you tax it now you'll lose out on the equivalent of 23 days tax....11.50.

BUT....if you have already insured it (it's unclear if you have or not), then you should consider that you are, relatively speaking, losing money whilst the car is off the road. If your insurance worked out at 1.50 a day then the days up to the end of the month with the car not in use could easily add up to more than the 11.50 you are saving.

ALSO...the car started depreciating the moment that you bought it (1 a day?...2 a day?.....4 a day?...more?). So if you bought the car for the purpose of using it then I would say that you should tax it now and start receiving the benefits of having a car straight away.

Good luck whatever you decide.
reduceditem is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:24 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 15 April 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

  • To those asking about the EE power bars "18mth hire" term. This is covered in theMSE guide (
  • RT @s_johnson29: @MartinSLewis so it was your fault there were que's out side EE shop when I went to pick my new phone up ?
  • My timeline is full of people on about EE powerbar. Many gleeful they got one. Others frowning they're out of stock

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed