Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Cavity Wall Insulation (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cavity Wall Insulation
Closed Thread
Views: 9,818
# 1
jasmin10
Old 23-09-2008, 6:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Cavity Wall Insulation

Sorry if this is in the wrong place - so feel free to move it.

I would like some advice on Cavity Wall Insulation. I have researched on various websites, including this one, to see what the overall review is on having this done.

I live in a 1980's house and to be honest after reading some of the reviews on it feel a bit apprensive about having it done. A lot of people seem to experience problems after having it done with regards damp etc. I know you get guarenteed work but then you would have a fight on your hands trying to prove it. I don't want hassle, just a god job.

I was going to go through E'on who I know contract it out and say they have it at a special rate at present. I happen to phone the company that they would contract it out to and they quoted me the same price, so obviously there is no 'special rate' anyway - not that I'm bothered although it would be good to have a bit of a discount.

So verdicts please, do the risks outway the pro's. and is it worth it.
# 2
miken
Old 24-09-2008, 10:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Me too

I also am interested in getting this done but am worried that I will possibly be up to my neck in condensation.
Just had an email from Tesco who are quoting 199 to get the job done. I guess this is also sub contracted out.
Is there any other company offing this service at a cheaper rate?/
# 3
lizardbouy
Old 24-09-2008, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Me too

I have the same issue. I really want to get this done to save money on bills and keep everywhere warm but wherever I look I get half the people saying it's fantastic and half saying it's a nightmare that leads to damp and condensation.

I can see the arguments from both sides and whilst there is a 25 year guarantee it might not be worth the paper its written on.

Perhaps only the people with bad experiences bother to tell people, in which case it could just be a handful of cases that go wrong whilst the rest are fine. Thing is it's quite a big risk and a lot to correct if it goes wrong...

I have a price of £220 from EON and the installer came today and said "no problem" and said damp wasn't an issue. He would say that though wouldn't he? I can't help thinking that if something looks too good to be true then it probably is.

If only it was an easy decision.

As this is the first year in our new house I'm tempted to try and get through the winter without it and see how we fare, then maybe revisit next year.

Last edited by lizardbouy; 26-09-2008 at 10:21 AM.
# 4
foreversummer
Old 24-09-2008, 4:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Had it done in a previous house - no problems.

Friends and family have had it done many years ago, all without problems.

Just had it done via Powergen in our current house.

Foreversummer
# 5
JoanWitness
Old 25-09-2008, 5:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I rang British Gas a few weeks ago about Cavity Wall insulation for people over 70 and was told it was free.

They gave me a phone number for a supplier who appeared a few days later.

After looking round the Stone Bungalow I live in he said his firm did not do cavity wall insulation for Stone house etc ,only brick etc.

When I checked the firm they told me they had, had too many problems with damp in Stone bungalows and would not do any work for myself.
On checking I find that quite a few Stone house in my area have had to have the insulation ripped out because of damp at a cost of 3000,comments ?
# 6
jessmist
Old 25-09-2008, 7:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had cavity wall insulation installed last december in my house, I went through british gas.
I have found my house a lot warmer and no problems yet.
# 7
jasmin10
Old 26-09-2008, 1:50 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I too have only been in my house a year (well in Dec it will be). I'm still a bit apprehensive. The Tesco one sounds good. I bet you could get points on that too.
# 8
lizardbouy
Old 26-09-2008, 8:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Follow up

I thought I'd let you know my decision, in case it helps anyone else.

We've decided to wait until the spring and take a proper look at this. Whilst it is SO tempting to spend a bit of cash to save money and get really warm I really can't be doing with and potential damp/condensation and the subsequent need to make loads of corrections to a just decorated house.

We'll put the 200 it would cost towards our heating bills and in the spring I'll get an independent chap to look at our house and tell me if its suitable and then find an offer it is.

It's a close call but as its a old detached house (1925) on a hill with the original bricks and mortar in place I think we'll pay it safe.
# 9
JoanWitness
Old 26-09-2008, 9:39 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I notice that apart from Lizardbuoy non of you stated if you had a Stone house & have anyone of you had a stone house cavity wall insulated.
# 10
AEKI
Old 26-09-2008, 10:04 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardbouy View Post
I can see the arguments from both sides and whilst there is a 2year guarantee it might not be worth the paper its written on.
2 years? I've had mine done with Hillserve working on behalf of British Gas and been given a 25 year guarentee
# 11
lizardbouy
Old 26-09-2008, 10:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default 25years!

You're right, it's a typo...25year guarantee
# 12
JoanWitness
Old 26-09-2008, 10:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Two streets from where I live a Bungalow had Cavity wall insulation done and it was a Stone Bungalow,it was done in 2003.

They sold the house and the new owner in June 2008 noticed damp.
He had to have the insulation removed at a cost to himself of 3000 so what about that.
# 13
James123
Old 26-09-2008, 7:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi ..
Firstly, had this done recently and it's made a huge difference. There are inevitably quick-fit sharks out there who are looking to make a few quid on the back of government subsidies. I went with BG and, or so I was told, the biggest supplier in the UK who were great. You can contact these direct anyway. (Don't know if I can refer to them here)
I'm not a builder, but I think that a lot of the problems can stem from unsound seals around window frames which can leak water into the cavity. As this is empty, the water merely evaportes in time. However, with the cavity full then this would not happen and, I guess, lead to potential water ingress. So, if your windows & walls are sound I'd certainly suggest you run with the cavity insulation option - but choose your contractor well. Many sub-contract! The other option is to go with polysterene beads which, I believe, don't have the same water retention qaulities of mineral wool. (Much more cash though & no subsidy!)
I think that there will be horror stories as CWI is such a huge industry - I guess the silent majority are happy.
# 14
melbury
Old 28-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I was thinking about having cavity wall insulation and a "surveyor" (well at least that is what he called himself!) came out and spent all of 5 mins measuring up and drilled a hole through to supposedly "check" the cavity.

His attitude was that he wanted me to sign up there and then. When I told him I just wanted to get an idea of the cost and also some further information on it, he basically said that if he had known I wouldn't sign up he wouldn't have bothered to come because he is far too busy to be wasting time in giving quotes

I was never happy about it from the beginning but OH thought it might be good. Having spoken to a local builder and researching this further on the internet I am now totally against it and would not have it done even it was free.

There are just so many cowboys cashing in on the grants and as for the 25 year guarantee, well when it all goes belly up and there are thousands of houses that need the stuff removed it will be interesting to see how that guarantee stands up.

Why risk damaging your most valuable asset just to save £150 a year - madness!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...3/pjeff123.xml
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

The Following User Says Thank You to melbury For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
jasmin10
Old 18-10-2008, 9:48 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for that link Melbury, I have certainly made up my mind and will be persuading hubby to rethink.
# 16
Mazio
Old 18-10-2008, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had half the house done last autumn as I did an extension a few years ago and put rock wool sheets (75mm I think) in and have had no problems as yet with either but remember as you seal the house up the condensation from inside has to go some were and my double glazed windows started to have more condensation but this has not caused me any problems.

FYI the company I used was Mark Insulation and I got them through the council scheme in my area Rutland and they used an off white material similar to rock wool.

In fact there were several places inside I use to get damp patches because when they built the house (1980's) they threw inside the cavity allot of mortar and debris which bridged the air gap and wicked the water through. I actually seem to get less now (but this was never a big problem any way).

I am glad I have had it done as it does seem to be making a difference in keeping the heat in but I cannot do a direct comparason as to exact costs as I never kept readings then (I do now).
Look after the pennies and the pounds will spend themselves

Last edited by Mazio; 18-10-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Closed Thread