Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Over 50s Money Saving > Free electrical rewiring for over 70's? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free electrical rewiring for over 70's?
Closed Thread
Views: 8,202
# 1
November2
Old 17-09-2008, 9:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Free electrical rewiring for over 70's?

My parents have been told their house needs rewiring and the electrician said there was a scheme to have it done for free. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also how dangerous is old wiring? My Father is currently refusing to even tak about it as it means ruining his decorating! The electrician said something about the type of wiring they have being illegal. My Father however insists it was rewired in the early 70's when the house was bought. Any help appreciated.
# 2
The Teaahloic
Old 17-09-2008, 9:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

My Mum had this done I think it was Warm front that arranged it(not sure)
They did not make a mess they put the wiring behind plastic white casing and took all of her sockets up higher so that she does not have to bend down to use them. Tell your Dad not to worry and go ahead and get it done safety comes first.
# 3
seven-day-weekend
Old 17-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If it was rewired in the early 70s it is 35 years old and probably due for renewal. I have a feeling this is about the lifespan of electrical wiring.

Tell your dad not to worry about the decorating, he'd like it even less if they burnt in their beds.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
# 4
Farway
Old 17-09-2008, 2:45 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Who was it that said it needed rewiring?

Not a "free survey" by an electrical supplier was it?

If if was, forget it, it was a salesman trying to get work & commision

All wiring unless installed last week is likely to be "out of date" regarding current regs, earth points, gas bonding etc. The regs are not retrospective

If it was rewired in the 70s it will be fine, there are thousand & thousands of houses around dating from the 1960s onwards, the danger of older wiring was it was rubber sheathed, which gradually perished over time, which was fine until it was disturbed in someway

1960s onwards saw the introduction of plastic based materials, like you see today, these do not rot or perish but may become brittle with heat

If you feel up to it, switch the electric off at the mains, unscrew a wall socket, and a light swithch, see what type of cable is used, if it plastic forget it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farway For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
seven-day-weekend
Old 17-09-2008, 2:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanks Farway, that's good for me to know too, because it was when we had our house re-wired in 1976 that we were told it lasted about 35 years by the electrician.

However, we do have plastic coated wiring and my husband actually had occasion to look at it last year, and said it was fine (I'm afraid I didn't believe him, but kept my mouth shut and went round surreptitiously feeling sockets to see if they were getting hot - they weren't!).

OP, just ignore what I said, Farway appears to have given sensible advice!
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
# 6
November2
Old 17-09-2008, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, thanks for the replies. It was a man from the Electricity Board, he fitted a new elec meter recently and said the wiring was now illegal and needed replacing. I'll have to check if it's rubber or plastic, thanks for the advice. I've noticed the bathroom light keeps buzzing which made me worried after what he said about the danger of old wiring!!
# 7
Farway
Old 18-09-2008, 2:55 PM

You could do quick check at the meter, if it is plastic wiring there it is fairly safe bet the whole lot is

Regarding the illegal wiring, it may now be illegal to do it that way now, but it was not then, and as I said, the regs are not retrospective

Buzzing bathroom light, is it a normal bulb or fluorescent?

Fluorescents can buzz, nothing to worry about, oftern sign tube is on it's way out
Normal bulbs should not buzz, could just be a terminal has worked loose over time & heat from the lamp, or possibly moisture in a damp bathroom

Is the buzz from the light fitting or the switch?
# 8
November2
Old 18-09-2008, 9:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, thanks for your reply, sorry for the delay in replying. The bathroom light is a bulb and it buzzes now and again and the light dims, not sure if it comes from the light or the pull string fitting. Not had any other problems in any other rooms. The electricity meter was first replaced in the 80's which would be about 8 years after my Dad said the house was rewired, if it wasn't rewired in the 70's as he thinks it was wouldn't they have said something then about old wires as the house was built in the 30's. I'm guessing the recent 'meter fitter' was going on the basis that it was over 30 years since the rewiring.
# 9
margaretclare
Old 19-09-2008, 10:43 AM

I live in a bungalow which was built in 1932, I think it may have been rewired in the 1970s and I had it rewired in the mid-1990s. When I bought it in 1990 that was one of the things on the surveyor's list that became my 'to-do' list. Fortunately I get an annuity paid on this very day every year and mostly I have used it for home upgrading/improvements - rewiring was one. (This year it goes to help pay for the holiday we've just come back from, cost a lot but worth every penny!!)

Our worst problem in this bungalow built 1932 was the asbestos-tiled roof, which we had replaced a couple of years ago. 'We' means DH and me, I was widowed in 1992 coincidental with redundancy, and now remarried, thank God!

I have wondered a bit about the title of this thread. Why should it be assumed that someone over 70 should have 'free' rewiring? Shouldn't this be means-tested? Should it be assumed that all of us in this age-group are in dire financial need?
r ic wisdom funde, r wear ic eald.
Before I found wisdom, I became old.
# 10
Farway
Old 19-09-2008, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November2 View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply, sorry for the delay in replying. The bathroom light is a bulb and it buzzes now and again and the light dims, not sure if it comes from the light or the pull string fitting.
It could just be the contacts on the bulb are worn down, or the contact springs in the bayonet fitting holding the bulb have lost some of their "springiness" over time

Try replacing the bulb sometime and see it still happens
# 11
allydowd
Old 12-10-2008, 4:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Call Warm Front on 0800 316 2805 or go to their website:

http://www.warmfront.co.uk/?icid=A069-51865924-107M
Credit Card ...........................................1,650
Original debt.........................................12,000

"
Everything works out well in the end; if all is not well, it's not the end."
The Following User Says Thank You to allydowd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Faith1
Old 15-02-2009, 4:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

The electrical Safety Council has run a scheme for awarding electrical improvement grants to a limited number of people who could not afford them. When available they are worth upto 800 but you have to reside in your own home and be over 60 or on a means tested benefit. grants@esc.org.uk or call 0870 040 0561
Closed Thread