Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs
Views: 281,064
# 1
MSE Lawrence
Old 16-05-2008, 2:42 PM
Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs

24 Sept 2008

What's the deal?

If you've old CDs you want rid of, but you don't want to give them away, and you can't bear the rigmarole of listing them all on eBay or the like, there's a new trading site which makes it easier.

Music Magpie cuts down the time it takes to sell your CDs by recognising the case barcodes. You just grab a pile of CDs (minimum 5 per transaction) you want to sell, type all their barcodes in to the system, and the site recognises them and gives you an instant offer price.

It's not perfect though; the system wouldn't recognise all the barcodes I tried (especially when the CD was from another country), and sometimes it'll tell you 'we aren't currently buying this CD', presumably when it already has a backlog of copies to shift.

How does it compare?

Generally, you can expect to receive less than you might from eBay/Cash Converters/Cex, and if you've got any rare releases to sell on this isn't the place to do it. Yet if you've shelves full of dusty old 'classic' CDs, this is a great way to clear them out and earn quick cash.

Most CDs go for less than a pound (usually 60-70p), though some double albums, and especially compilations (for some curious reason) can run to £2.50.

I've got an offer. Now what?

If you accept an offer, fill in your details and you'll be sent some postage-paid envelopes to send stuff back in. Once they've received them, you'll be paid. Thus the whole process costs you nothing (though it can take a little while).

Anything else?

The site's also worth a look if you're in the market to buy CDs, as it sells those it receives off pretty cheaply.

Music Magpie has a sister company, Game Magpie, which (unsurprisingly) trades computer games. It works in exactly the same way, but so far doesn't seem to have much stock. If you've tried it, do please let us know how it went.

Huge thanks to betterlatethannever for originally posting this below!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Lawrence; 24-09-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MSE Lawrence For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
betterlatethannever
Old 01-09-2008, 8:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but this site offers to buy your old Cds for cash and its free to use.
http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/

Simply enter the details of your CDs, find out what they are worth and they send you all the packaging you need to send them in.

HTH.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to betterlatethannever For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Budweiser_072000
Old 01-09-2008, 8:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hmmm not worth it really good idea tho, i tried 2 cds and they only offered me 60p for em both.
Aiming for £1 a day
The Following User Says Thank You to Budweiser_072000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
soolin
Old 01-09-2008, 9:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Try Amazon as well, sometimes rarer CDs can do very well. I sold a Rick Wakeman one today for £11, after fees and postage I actually got just over £7 in hand for it..every little helps!
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
crapwithcash82
Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlatethannever View Post
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but this site offers to buy your old Cds for cash and its free to use.
http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/

Simply enter the details of your CDs, find out what they are worth and they send you all the packaging you need to send them in.

HTH.
Thanks for this, I have a box full of old CDs I was going to take to a car boot sale on Sunday, but looks like I may get more through this site! There is a similar one for Mobile phones that I use:
www.mazumamobile.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crapwithcash82 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mariagti
Old 06-09-2008, 11:21 AM

thank you OP! I have tones of CD's sitting in shed doing nothing! A couple were worth £1.50 too so far. Ive told the guys on debt board about your post as i think its fab!
Make £5 a day JAN £121/175 FEB £283/175
Weekly Grocery budget of £35! Jan £95.05/175 Feb £37.53/175
The Following User Says Thank You to mariagti For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
bonsibabe
Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks OP, I will certainly be looking out some of mine, although the majority are no longer in cases (i think they will have to be sold elsewhere lol). And thanks to crapwithcash82 as I have a load of old mobiles so will be looking them out to sell on here!
LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 - 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500
Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off
Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
The Following User Says Thank You to bonsibabe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Snowdrop
Old 06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

this is great, quickest £22.77 ever. I possibly could have got more through ebay / amazon but this is a lot quicker and far less hassle.

It seems to be a similar idea to mazuma - so does anybody know of a dvd and/or vhs version (got loads of both to get rid off)???

xxx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowdrop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
betterlatethannever
Old 06-09-2008, 1:02 PM

Over £22 wow.
How many Cds did you sell and were they recent or older stuff?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

# 10
Snowdrop
Old 06-09-2008, 1:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlatethannever View Post
Over £22 wow.
How many Cds did you sell and were they recent or older stuff?
think it was just over 40 sold. mostly dance compliations but got £3 for an electric six cd/dvd!!!

xxx
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowdrop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
elsien
Old 06-09-2008, 1:27 PM

Thanks for posting this betterlatethannever. I saw it in the paper at the weekend then forgot and chucked it in the recycling before I tore out the details.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
# 12
butterfly72
Old 06-09-2008, 1:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Its doesn't want many of my CDs!! I'm selling mine on Amazon and am doing really well. I sold a limited ed Verve CD for £15 and a coldplay one for £19.99!! I only bother selling on amazon, ones that make over £1 profit after fees and p&p costs etc. I took my CDs that would make less than a quid profit to a carboot and sold loads at £1 a CD. I've still got piles of CD to list and sell. With my CDs and a few books I've made over £500 on amazon this year!
Increasing my house deposit
Increasing my pension
Horse fund: 8/8K - horse hunting starts Sept 13
# 13
SoozyJ22
Old 06-09-2008, 3:51 PM

Thanks very much for this. I normally sell my old CDs on Amazon or ebay, but had a few that weren't worth putting on there that I was about to throw out. I'll be making the grand total of £1.95 for 6 CDs, but much better than the big fat nothing I'd get otherwise
# 14
larlie1983
Old 07-09-2008, 2:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for this. They didnt want quite a lot of my CDs but was quite surprised at what they DID want. It seems that greatest hits / best of albums seem to generate a higher price than a normal studio album. I was quite surprised when they offered me £2.22 for S-Club - 'Best - The Greatest Hits of S-Club 7'
Operation House Move £10533.75/£25000 (42% achieved)
Earning more online than in 2013 £290.90/£582.23 Sealed Pot Challenge member #2137
The Following User Says Thank You to larlie1983 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
londongirl
Old 07-09-2008, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to londongirl

Wow larlie1983 - i think they must lower the price the more CD's they get of the same - they only offered by 34p for my S Club 7 greatest hits!! (you know what's worse - i actually declined the offer!)

But i did make £9.44 on 9 CD's. Best one was offer of £3 for a 2 cd album of irish music that i had lurking!! lol

Was quite shocked that they offered 50p for Joey Lawrence album too! (Anyone remember him?!)

Great site though -so easy. Though with these things i always worry something might go wrong and things lost in post so fingers crossed.

Thanks OP!
The Following User Says Thank You to londongirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
lynzpower
Old 07-09-2008, 4:39 PM

this is fantastic!

Ive been toying with sending a lot of mine to the chaity shop, Im sick of carting them from house to house ( we move A LOT) knowing that they are worth next to nothing. We uploaded a lot of it onto the hard drive to run through speakers so we dont need it .. Some of these cds are 10 years old! ( and really not that good lol)

Im up to 25.00 now and Ive still got a couple of shelves downstairs to go through still too, so hoping for a touch more!

Must be catching - Ohs now rooting through his vinyl collection- another thing VERY heavy to move in constant house moves - to my delight - he has found 2x tidy boxes worth already! Good times! I do not want to have to carry those boxes up any more flights of stairs!
Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
This Ive come to know...
So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
The Following User Says Thank You to lynzpower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
MarkR
Old 07-09-2008, 5:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Great Post,
Went through the box of cds had ready for next car boot sale ( when its not raining ha!)

they didnt want ANY S club 7 discs i tried ( they belonged to a friend yer honour/ burglers broke in and left em/ they were an unwanted presents....)
Best one was £1.50 for Max Bygraves. Averaged about 50p a disc and will take about half the ones i tried ) .
Nope.... Still cant think of owt interesting to put here.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkR For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Shimrod
Old 07-09-2008, 5:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynzpower View Post
this is fantastic!

Ive been toying with sending a lot of mine to the chaity shop, Im sick of carting them from house to house ( we move A LOT) knowing that they are worth next to nothing. We uploaded a lot of it onto the hard drive to run through speakers so we dont need it
If you are getting rid of the original CDs, you should also be deleting the tracks from the hard drive, otherwise you are in the realms of piracy, which isn't condoned on these boards.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shimrod For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
lynzpower
Old 07-09-2008, 5:46 PM

Thanks, I had no idea - I thought that if you had paid the artsity you could keep them in any format. thanks for letting me know
Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
This Ive come to know...
So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
# 20
GaryS
Old 07-09-2008, 6:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Why on earth are people selling their cds for such a small amount when they obviously cost a lot more when new.

I used to run a mobile disco years ago and still have all of my cds, and have no plans to sell any of them.

I also keep all of the dvds that I buy and have built up a very good collection of both over the years.

In addition to that I also have my cds imported into Itunes for easier playing - currently approx 18000 tracks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaryS For This Useful Post: Show me >>