Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Cling film double glazing and condensation (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cling film double glazing and condensation
Closed Thread
Views: 25,426
# 1
newbie71
Old 14-09-2008, 11:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Cling film double glazing and condensation

Hi everyone

Wonder if anyone can help. Looking to get some of the 'cling film' type double glazing from Wilkinsons and use it across 3 of the the four panels of our casement bedroom windows (single glazed) and leave the small 4th panel uncovered so that we can open the window to keep the rooms ventilated during the day

I hope this doesn't sound daft but does condensation still appear on windows that have this cling film double glazing on them?

When we rented a few years ago they had 'proper' secondary double glazing fitted but again the outer windows were always covered in condensation in a morning if now window open at night - but of course you just slid open the glass panel and could wipe it all away.

In our current house we also have terrible condensation on colder nights if the window isn't kept open and am worried that with the cling film obviously I wouldn't be able to wipe away the condensation and it would just be running into wooden frames all winter.

Also - does the film double glazing reduce outside noise in anway?

Thank you
# 2
The_Economist
Old 15-09-2008, 12:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie71 View Post
Hi everyone

Wonder if anyone can help. Looking to get some of the 'cling film' type double glazing from Wilkinsons and use it across 3 of the the four panels of our casement bedroom windows (single glazed) and leave the small 4th panel uncovered so that we can open the window to keep the rooms ventilated during the day

I hope this doesn't sound daft but does condensation still appear on windows that have this cling film double glazing on them?

When we rented a few years ago they had 'proper' secondary double glazing fitted but again the outer windows were always covered in condensation in a morning if now window open at night - but of course you just slid open the glass panel and could wipe it all away.

In our current house we also have terrible condensation on colder nights if the window isn't kept open and am worried that with the cling film obviously I wouldn't be able to wipe away the condensation and it would just be running into wooden frames all winter.

Also - does the film double glazing reduce outside noise in anway?

Thank you
Not sure about the cling film idea. Have you thought about whats causing the condensation.
Have a look here http://www.specifypga.com/index/arti...20and%20Facts/
Have you thought about getting a Dehumidifier>
If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Economist For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Vibrant
Old 15-09-2008, 1:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,
I used to use the clingfilm type double glazing years ago. And condensation between the panes can be a slight problem, that you cant do much about. The more draughty a window was, the less condensation it got, as the breeze blew away the moisture laden air.

It is worth doing, as it blocks the draughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vibrant For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
nickshew
Old 06-10-2008, 1:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Condensation

I have seen some advice saying fit the cling film double glazing at the coldest part of the day to help avoid condensation.

Nick
# 5
djheath
Old 06-10-2008, 2:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I am afraid it doesn't work!

I have had cling film on all my windows for the past month and although the first week was condensation free, it soom came back, albeit, not as much as without the cling film, but it still dripped down and just collected at the bottom. This weekend I bit the bullet and bought a dehumidifier. Its helped loads and has already removed loads of water from my flat.
# 6
27col
Old 06-10-2008, 6:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

What is this requirement to have windows open in cold weather. I would certainly not let out any of my expensive heat by opening windows. I suppose it takes all sorts, and we all have our funny little foibles.
I can afford anything that I want.
Just so long as I don't want much.
# 7
dodd007
Old 31-10-2008, 12:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Does anyone know where I can buy this film??

Searched but cant find it!!
# 8
angelavdavis
Old 31-10-2008, 1:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

This company supplies it. I haven't personally used them though.

http://www.window-insulation-film.co.uk/
Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
# 9
djheath
Old 31-10-2008, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodd007 View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy this film??

Searched but cant find it!!
You local wilkinsons sell it.
# 10
kittykat500
Old 31-10-2008, 2:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

On the Old Style Board they talk about using bubble wrap instead as I think it has better insulating properties. You can't see through it tho'.
# 11
maninthestreet
Old 31-10-2008, 2:43 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Condesation on the inside of a bedroom window, even with DG, is normal and expected. 1 or 2 people sleeping in a room for 6 to 8 hours produce a lot of humidity due to their breathing.
# 12
Suzy M
Old 31-10-2008, 5:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Fitting the film at the coldest part of the day does go a long way to reducing condensation. Also slip a couple of silica sachets in to each section before sealing.
# 13
robimitchell
Old 31-10-2008, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I recently installed this in our rented bungalow again after a couple of failed attempts. It can be purchased from B&Q and Homebase. The condensation still forms in the gap, which will probably ultimately kill the windows (landlord cost), but more importantly from my point of view condensation is not forming on the film so the stuff is doing its job well and keeping the majority of our heat in.

From my own experience I would stress the importance of ensuring the frame is clean before applying as I found the first few times the film and double sided tape would slip once stretched. In the end i repainted the frames to give them some extra tack; no problems now!
Closed Thread