Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    newbie71
    Cling film double glazing and condensation
    • 14th Sep 08, 11:54 PM
    Cling film double glazing and condensation 14th Sep 08 at 11:54 PM
    Hi everyone

Wonder if anyone can help. Looking to get some of the 'cling film' type double glazing from Wilkinsons and use it across 3 of the the four panels of our casement bedroom windows (single glazed) and leave the small 4th panel uncovered so that we can open the window to keep the rooms ventilated during the day

I hope this doesn't sound daft but does condensation still appear on windows that have this cling film double glazing on them?

When we rented a few years ago they had 'proper' secondary double glazing fitted but again the outer windows were always covered in condensation in a morning if now window open at night - but of course you just slid open the glass panel and could wipe it all away.

In our current house we also have terrible condensation on colder nights if the window isn't kept open and am worried that with the cling film obviously I wouldn't be able to wipe away the condensation and it would just be running into wooden frames all winter.

Also - does the film double glazing reduce outside noise in anway?

Thank you
Page 1
  • The_Economist
    • 15th Sep 08, 12:31 AM
    • 15th Sep 08, 12:31 AM
    Hi everyone

Wonder if anyone can help. Looking to get some of the 'cling film' type double glazing from Wilkinsons and use it across 3 of the the four panels of our casement bedroom windows (single glazed) and leave the small 4th panel uncovered so that we can open the window to keep the rooms ventilated during the day

I hope this doesn't sound daft but does condensation still appear on windows that have this cling film double glazing on them?

When we rented a few years ago they had 'proper' secondary double glazing fitted but again the outer windows were always covered in condensation in a morning if now window open at night - but of course you just slid open the glass panel and could wipe it all away.

In our current house we also have terrible condensation on colder nights if the window isn't kept open and am worried that with the cling film obviously I wouldn't be able to wipe away the condensation and it would just be running into wooden frames all winter.

Also - does the film double glazing reduce outside noise in anway?

Thank you
    Originally posted by newbie71
    Not sure about the cling film idea. Have you thought about whats causing the condensation.
    Have a look here http://www.specifypga.com/index/articles/articles_section_list/1/Condensation%20Myths%20and%20Facts/
    Have you thought about getting a Dehumidifier>
    If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
    • Vibrant
    • By Vibrant 15th Sep 08, 1:27 AM
    • 308 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    Vibrant
    • 15th Sep 08, 1:27 AM
    • 15th Sep 08, 1:27 AM
    Hi,
    I used to use the clingfilm type double glazing years ago. And condensation between the panes can be a slight problem, that you cant do much about. The more draughty a window was, the less condensation it got, as the breeze blew away the moisture laden air.

It is worth doing, as it blocks the draughts.
  • nickshew
    • 6th Oct 08, 1:48 PM
    Condensation
    • 6th Oct 08, 1:48 PM
    I have seen some advice saying fit the cling film double glazing at the coldest part of the day to help avoid condensation.

Nick
  • djheath
    • 6th Oct 08, 2:25 PM
    • 6th Oct 08, 2:25 PM
    I am afraid it doesn't work!

I have had cling film on all my windows for the past month and although the first week was condensation free, it soom came back, albeit, not as much as without the cling film, but it still dripped down and just collected at the bottom. This weekend I bit the bullet and bought a dehumidifier. Its helped loads and has already removed loads of water from my flat.
    • 27col
    • By 27col 6th Oct 08, 6:33 PM
    • 6,376 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    27col
    • 6th Oct 08, 6:33 PM
    • 6th Oct 08, 6:33 PM
    What is this requirement to have windows open in cold weather. I would certainly not let out any of my expensive heat by opening windows. I suppose it takes all sorts, and we all have our funny little foibles.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • dodd007
    • 31st Oct 08, 12:24 PM
    • 31st Oct 08, 12:24 PM
    Does anyone know where I can buy this film??

Searched but cant find it!!
    • angelavdavis
    • By angelavdavis 31st Oct 08, 1:07 PM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 7,325 Thanks
    angelavdavis
    • 31st Oct 08, 1:07 PM
    • 31st Oct 08, 1:07 PM
    This company supplies it. I haven't personally used them though.

http://www.window-insulation-film.co.uk/
    Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
  • djheath
    • 31st Oct 08, 1:54 PM
    • 31st Oct 08, 1:54 PM
    Does anyone know where I can buy this film??

Searched but cant find it!!
    Originally posted by dodd007
    You local wilkinsons sell it.
  • kittykat500
    On the Old Style Board they talk about using bubble wrap instead as I think it has better insulating properties. You can't see through it tho'.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 31st Oct 08, 2:43 PM
    • 14,324 Posts
    • 12,395 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    Condesation on the inside of a bedroom window, even with DG, is normal and expected. 1 or 2 people sleeping in a room for 6 to 8 hours produce a lot of humidity due to their breathing.
  • Suzy M
    Fitting the film at the coldest part of the day does go a long way to reducing condensation. Also slip a couple of silica sachets in to each section before sealing.
  • robimitchell
    I recently installed this in our rented bungalow again after a couple of failed attempts. It can be purchased from B&Q and Homebase. The condensation still forms in the gap, which will probably ultimately kill the windows (landlord cost), but more importantly from my point of view condensation is not forming on the film so the stuff is doing its job well and keeping the majority of our heat in.

From my own experience I would stress the importance of ensuring the frame is clean before applying as I found the first few times the film and double sided tape would slip once stretched. In the end i repainted the frames to give them some extra tack; no problems now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,698Users online

Martin's Twitter