Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Please help! Peugeot 307 HDi 'Anti Pollution Faul... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Please help! Peugeot 307 HDi 'Anti Pollution Fault'
Views: 122,265
# 1
JDMYOFAN
Old 09-09-2008, 5:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Please help! Peugeot 307 HDi 'Anti Pollution Fault'

Well I've done some research on the net and I'm really worried.

I'm currently using the missus' car as my other French car is being repaired. She drives a 2004 2.0 Peugeot 307 HDi (90hp version)

The car is used 95% on the motorway and always filled up to the brim and run down until the light comes on. Also due a service in the next 2000 miles.

On the way to work today, the engine went lumpy and the car juddered. I pulled over and the engine management light came on, also an error then appeared as 'Anti Pollution Fault'.

So called out RAC who wired it up to the laptop 'no error found'. Great. He drove it to the nearest garage with a good computer, which also returned 'no fault found'.

Now having looked on the net, this is due to the filter which injects some solvent in with the exhaust fumes to clean the air. This needs changing at 50k supposedly, and this car has just hit 60k.

So a new filter from peugeot is around £600 (+vat and labour). plus 5 litres of the fluid (£30 a litre) and supposedly only peugeot can help.

We're up to our head with it now, both cars being garaged, this one for what seems like the MOST ridiculous of reason. The reason the car's running lumpy is because it is in LIMP mode, so there's not actually any damage.

Trying to think of the best way out of this which won't cause us to be paying of credit cards for the next 10 years.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to JDMYOFAN For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
harveybobbles
Old 09-09-2008, 8:00 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Right, bear with me on this one. I'll come back and post later. Sigh...
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
# 3
harveybobbles
Old 09-09-2008, 8:04 PM

Firstly are you sure it's the 90?

anyway, the filter which is blocked is the FAP filter. They reduce the amount of crap that comes out of the exhaust. The fluid you have been told about is an additive which gets injected into the fuel everytime you fill up. Eloy or something. Though that sounds like one of the Dingles...
anyway, you need to find someone who is prepared to remove you cat/fap filter and steam clean it for the best part of 20 minutes to remove all the rubbish.

You then buy a few litres of the fluid - its either green or red. This gets put in underneath the near side rear wheel.

Have the light rerset and hay presto.

Look up Yorkshire_Lady on here...
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
The Following User Says Thank You to harveybobbles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
daveyjp
Old 09-09-2008, 9:38 PM

You need the filter and elosys system servicing - it's not cheap, but cut corners and it will work out more expensive. Worst system ever invented for reducing diesel soot emissions. A typical French solution to a problem - make it really complicated!

Check out any Pug ownership forums for detailed explanation and remedies.
# 5
harveybobbles
Old 09-09-2008, 9:44 PM

Lots of makers are using similar systems now to reduce the amount of crap coming out of the exhaust. but the Pug system is dire...
# 6
johnjmkelly
Old 29-06-2010, 5:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi. I've also had problems recently with my Peugeot 307 1.4 LX 5dr 2001. The engine warning light and the message "Antipollution fault" has been beeping at me when driving and I get a sudden loss of power in the car. It occurs intermittently but seems to be more common and more severe the longer the car journey. I have recently had the car serviced and an MOT but these problems seem to have started after I had those done. I have taken it to a garage, where the mechanic hooked the car up to the diagnostic computer and said he couldn't find a fault. Someone mentioned it might be due to a blocked fuel injector so I added some cleaning fluid into the fuel tank upon recommendation - but this doesn't seemed to have helped. It gets to the point when I stop at traffic lights the car revs itself and sometimes cuts out completely and I have to re-start the engine. Also I've noticed the temperature gauge in the dash seems to be slightly higher than normal and flickering very slightly when these problems arise - not sure if it is related. As I am a student and can't afford the prices being mentioned I'm not sure what to do. I have been on two long trips lately (one from London to Holland and back, and one from London to Somerset and back) and I've been getting these problems more frequently on the return journeys. With all this said the car still managed to get me to and from these places so I'm thinking the problem can't be too serious.

What I'm concerned about is that on all the forums and websites I've researched this problem on, they all seem to give different reasons for the fault. I don't want to pay lots of money for a garage to say they've "fixed" the problem only for it to be something else! This is my 1st car and don't want to be ripped off. Are there any Peugeot specific garages you would recommend taking the car to to be checked? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
# 7
hartski
Old 26-07-2010, 4:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default The fault's there but no symptoms.....

We have a '51 plate 307 LX....

Drove down to Milton Keynes from Hull on Friday with no problems.
We filled up at Asda just as we left Hull. Everything was fine with the journey. A few hours after we arrived, I switched on the battery to listen to some music as we were on a campsite, and the Anti Pollution Fault came up.

However, we don't have any symptons of rev limiting, or juddering... the car is driving perfectly, and we drove back to Hull again with no problems.

Looking around some forums - others are suggesting that petrol could have caused the problem and some high quality petrol may sort it, or that the sensors are just too sensitive....

Without the revs being limited or any other problems we can see, does this appear to be an actual fault, or an ECC fault?
# 8
chrisluck
Old 08-01-2011, 7:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default i have a simular issue please help

i to have a simular issue but my car wont start any ideas of what the problem is and the cost or repair i got e mobile mechanic today and he put it on the diagnostic machine and it came up with unknown error code 0087????any ideas much appreciated
thanks
chris luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMYOFAN View Post
Well I've done some research on the net and I'm really worried.

I'm currently using the missus' car as my other French car is being repaired. She drives a 2004 2.0 Peugeot 307 HDi (90hp version)

The car is used 95% on the motorway and always filled up to the brim and run down until the light comes on. Also due a service in the next 2000 miles.

On the way to work today, the engine went lumpy and the car juddered. I pulled over and the engine management light came on, also an error then appeared as 'Anti Pollution Fault'.

So called out RAC who wired it up to the laptop 'no error found'. Great. He drove it to the nearest garage with a good computer, which also returned 'no fault found'.

Now having looked on the net, this is due to the filter which injects some solvent in with the exhaust fumes to clean the air. This needs changing at 50k supposedly, and this car has just hit 60k.

So a new filter from peugeot is around 600 (+vat and labour). plus 5 litres of the fluid (30 a litre) and supposedly only peugeot can help.

We're up to our head with it now, both cars being garaged, this one for what seems like the MOST ridiculous of reason. The reason the car's running lumpy is because it is in LIMP mode, so there's not actually any damage.

Trying to think of the best way out of this which won't cause us to be paying of credit cards for the next 10 years.
# 9
j69ant
Old 10-01-2011, 10:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Possible Lambda ( Oxygen ) sensor.

There are two fitted to these ( by the manifold and by the cat ).

Ive seen two cars with the same error, ( one was intermittent, the other sluggish ) and neither showed up a proper error on the diagnostic machine. Just Anti Pollution Fault. My local scrappy only charged 10 for a sensor, and its eliminated the issue on both occasions. It was the manifold one on both occassions btw.

Regards

Ant
# 10
Flying-High
Old 10-01-2011, 12:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Since when did the 2.0 90HDI have FAP?... Not come across a 2.0 90 with FAP.
# 11
rca779
Old 10-01-2011, 1:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have a02 plate 307 2.0 petrol and get this warning fairly often. I have found that if I use Shell petrol, I don't get this error, however if I use the supermarket crap of even Esso fuel, I get this error. What i nornally do if I get this is fill-up with the Shell optimax (or whatever their "better" fuel is called). I find that after one or two fill-ups this error cures itself.

Note: I have never had the car go into limp mode.
# 12
phwoggy
Old 10-01-2011, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a 54 plate 1.6 diesel and get the anti-pollution fault when I let the fuel run low, luckily my garage are happy to clear it off at no charge and it is fine again unless I get low on diesel.

I've had limp-home mode once and it had to go into the Peugeot garage for some chemical that mixes in the exhaust (not very technical, I know, sorry!) which cost 170.
# 13
vikingaero
Old 10-01-2011, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveybobbles View Post
Lots of makers are using similar systems now to reduce the amount of crap coming out of the exhaust. but the Pug system is dire...
Even more dire than the Mazda system which dumps diesel into the engine oil if the DPF regeneration fails/does not finish its cycle?
The man without a signature.
# 14
HiTo
Old 10-01-2011, 5:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-High View Post
Since when did the 2.0 90HDI have FAP?... Not come across a 2.0 90 with FAP.
Your right, they don't have them
# 15
tartantotty
Old 17-03-2011, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have an 05 plate 307 hdi that had this error message for the 5th time in 2 years on wednesday. Its in the garage as we speak, and I am waiting for the bad news. HAs gone into limp mode everytime, and as I do a lot of driving I am bitscared to just leave it! Its been (according to them) a sensor, the fluid that needs mixed with the diesel, a hole in a pipe, and I can't remember what else. Its driving me up the wall. I have peugot extended warrenty which has paid for some bits, but not others.

I wish I had paid a bit more attention before I bought the car, and I may not have bothered.

I will admit that I know very little about cars so the garage could be telling me owt and I wouldnt know if it was true or not. Its really frustrating though

For the record, I mainly use Shell diesel, with occasional top ups from Tesco.
# 16
Strider590
Old 17-03-2011, 3:35 PM

FAP Filter? I thought that was something to do with internet censorship
Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strider590 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
atrixblue.-MFR-.
Old 17-03-2011, 3:57 PM

anti pollution in the petrol models can be the crank sensor faulty (had a 1.6 GLX 307) and was that twice over 4 years (pug really (un)realiable electronics) lamda sensor went down braught up unknow code 0084 or something really stupid a live run readout found O2 sensor at fault, coil pack brought up catalitic converter fault, think that pug was built on one of their STRIKE days TBH, had a fuel pump go down, no 307 matched and it took a few days and a good motor factors techy brains to discover it was out of a 407, the 5 disc cd changer is absolutly shockingly prone to jamming up (but thats a blaupunkt fault).

think pug should pack it in and try again with a different outlook.

the deisels DPF's are second from MAZDA's all time most worthless bit of engineering there is regarding how thier DPF systems work in the earlier models, who in their right mind fits something that you know if a cycle is cut short dumps the fuel in the engine?
i know i make spelling mistakes and i prefer to just type and post and get on with life, i know there are people who prefer all the crossed T's and dotted I's but we cant have everything in life pur..fect. i have a condition i hate to spell it but i bet you can guess it.
# 18
TheInsideTrack
Old 17-03-2011, 10:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Right, forget FAP's and additive systems - you haven't got one!! Anti-pollution fault is a generic fault message and the engine management light being on at the same time is par for the course. Here's a quick check you can do to rule out one possibility, pop the fuel filter out and check it's condition. Also check the bowl for any sediment or tiny metal fragments. If you find metal fragments it's a sign that the high pressure pump is breaking up and is blocking the fuel flow regulator.
# 19
harveybobbles
Old 22-03-2011, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInsideTrack View Post
Right, forget FAP's and additive systems - you haven't got one!! Anti-pollution fault is a generic fault message and the engine management light being on at the same time is par for the course. Here's a quick check you can do to rule out one possibility, pop the fuel filter out and check it's condition. Also check the bowl for any sediment or tiny metal fragments. If you find metal fragments it's a sign that the high pressure pump is breaking up and is blocking the fuel flow regulator.
Shut up you spanner...
# 20
TheInsideTrack
Old 22-03-2011, 9:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hey Harveybobbles, all you bull about the FAP is wasted when the car doesn't even have one! The idea of a forum is to pass on experience to the benefit of the person asking the question, if they find something then great, if not well at least that's one less thing to worry about. Spend a little more time concentrating on the person who is asking the question rather than trying to further inflate your overexpanded ego!