cement on tarmac drive

Options
hi

had windows changed to new upvc from hardwood. As well as the windows, we had our porch changed and also widen. However, the windows company, employed a contractor to extend the base of the porch which he filled with concerete. The stupid plonker, mixed this directly on our drive. Now we have been left with a grey messy stain which ain't gonna shift. The windows man has accepted responsilbility and has asked his contractor to clean it. The contractor came by the other day with a wire brush scrubbed it for about 5 mins and then told me that he couldn't shift it but would come by again and paint it!!!!!!

I asked what type of paint he was goin to use. He told me floor paint (Used for garage floors!!!!!!) I told him that it wouldn't be weather proof and that also as he was only planing to paint over his mess, the rest of my drive would be a different shade. His reply was that it would weather in a couple of weeks and look the same.

I am not convinced by this. We haven't paid the balance of what we owe for our windows as we have said we wanted the job completed and mistakes corrected. The windows man agreed.

what do you guys think!!!

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    bindiboo wrote:
    ...I am not convinced by this.
    I wouldn't agree to this too ...
    http://www.pavingexpert.com/stains.htm advise to use acid-based chemical cement stain removers:
    There are two stages to removing cementitious stains from paving...

STAGE 1

Mechanical action - remove as much of the cementitious material as possible by using a hammer and bolster to chisel off the offending spots of material, fondly referred to as 'snots' in the building trade. Take care not to chisel into the paving, just chisel sufficiently to remove any 'snots'.

Scrubbing with a wire brush can remove most of the remaining material without inflicting long-term damage to the paving. The chiselling and scrubbing process may be all that is required to remove the worst of the stain. Natural weathering can eliminate, or render inconspicuous, any remaining slight staining.

STAGE 2

Chemical action - this should only be undertaken if the efforts of Stage 1 have left an undesirable or unsightly stain. Be very careful, chemical cement stain removers sold by builders' merchants contain an acid that reacts with the cementitious material, breaking it down and enabling total removal by repeated chemical treatment and scrubbing with a wire brush. If you are attempting to clean concrete flags or concrete blocks, the acid will also attack the surface of the paver, eating away a thin surface of the unit. The same holds true for natural limestone (as in some tarmac) or marble used for paving. Test the action of the acid on a small, inconspicuous area of the pavement. Some pavers can drastically, and irreversably, change in appearance when treated with acid. If in doubt, leave it! It may be easier to replace the stained paving, assuming it is constructed from small elements, such as blocks, bricks or flags.

You MUST wear protective gloves, clothing and most importantly, eye protection when using these acid based cleaners. Read the manufacturer's instructions thoroughly. We dilute most acid cleaners to a strength not exceeding 5% acid to prevent serious discolouration or 'burning' of the paving. Some cleaners may already be diluted to this concentration - read the packaging. Apply the acid cleaner as directed in the manufacturers instructions, and leave it to work for 5-10 minutes. We use an old paintbrush dipped in the acid cleaner to treat small areas. For larger areas, choose a dull or cloudy day to prevent the area being dried too quickly by the sun and pre-wet the area with water to prevent the acid being absorbed by thirsty paving. Scrub with a wire brush and you should see the cementitious material coming free. Wash down with clean water and allow to dry to inspect the results. Repeat if necessary, but no more than is absolutely essential.
    See also http://www.stoneunique.co.uk/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=93

For a proper paint for tarmac see Best way to remove large oil stain from tarmac drive thread and insist in the whole drive to be painted ...
  • Bigted_3
    Options
    Hi,

B & Q sell tarmac paint for drives and although I was sceptical about it at first, it does do a nice, long lasting job and is easily applied with a deep pile roller. Don't forget to mask off any kerbing edges or adjacent paving slab edges.
  • bindiboo
    bindiboo Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    Options
    thought i would bump this up again

update

the contractor that damaged our drive turned up yesterday wanting to paint the tarmac drive with Johnsons floor paint. I stopped him in his tracks as

1. he was only prepared to paint the area of damage and not all the drive which would of meant that we would have a two tone drive.

2. he was not imo using the correct paint even though he was insisting that it was.

After i refused he was on the phone to the window company. The boss of the window company came and was trying to insist that only the area of damage was to be painted.

I explained that this was unacceptable as we would have a odd coloured drive and that the paint was not proper tarmac paint.

He and his contractor eventually went away and he said that he would look into the suitablity of the paint the contractor was trying to use.##

The only reason the contractor is trying to use floor paint is that it is much cheaper than the proper stuff.

Also, we did have some quotes done after the damage was done and we had 2 prices in the excess of £1000 to re-tarmac as in the their opinon, it was not possible to paint over the concerte damage.

This has left us with concern as we have held back £1000 of the money from when the windows were done due to the damage cause to ensure that the window company fulfilled their responsibility in retifiing their problem.

I am gonna speak to citenzens advice or trading standards on tuesday. In the meantime does anyone have any advise?:confused:
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dunno if it helps you but we have got a block paved drive and when we had our extension built last year inevitably some concrete got spilt onto our drive. We just jet washed it off. No soap or chemicals, it just came right off with the jet wash. Don't know if it will work but worth a try.
  • bindiboo
    bindiboo Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    Options
    jet washing will lift and damage tarmac and is generally not suitable. thanks anyway
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bindiboo wrote:
    jet washing will lift and damage tarmac and is generally not suitable. thanks anyway

Didn't think about that...sorry. :o Its late and I should be in my pit. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport