PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Clootie Dumpling

Options
Got these recipes from Dad yesterday, both recipes are my Mum's, one is traditional, the other is a microwave recipe. Can vouch for the tastiness of both methods, as she now uses vegetarian suet always, so that I can have some. However normal suet is just as fine, so long as you are not feeding vegetarians!

Traditional Clootie Dumpling

You will need large pot with lid, stockpan or the largest kind of saucepan with lid. Good sized tea-towel, large piece of cotton - always used to be a white pillowcase with my Gran & Mum. Whatever you use, this has to be scalded in boiling water and then floured, just prior to putting ingredients in. Also string for tying up cloth (clout - hence the name clootie dumpling). Tongs or other implements for removing cloth.
Plenty of hot boiling water.

Ingreds.
12 oz self raising flour
6 oz shredded suet
4 oz currants
4 oz sultanas
4 oz raisins
1 small cooking apple, peeled, cored and grated
1 rounded tsp cinnamon,
1 rounded tsp ground ginger
1 rounded tsp mixed spice
5 oz soft brown sugar
1 level tsp bicarb of soda
1 level tsp cream of tartar
1 egg
2 tblsp treacle
1/4 pint milk

Mix flour, suet, dried fruit, apple, spices, sugar, bicarb of soda & cream of tartar together. In separate bowl, mix egg and treacle together. Add this to flour mixture, adding just enough milk to make a soft scone-like dough.
Dip cloth/pillowcase into hot pan of water, use tongs to remove. Sprinkle flour over cloth, or inside pillowcase. Turn mixture into scalded cloth/pillowcase, leave a little room for mixture to expand, then tie tightly with string.
Boil in pan of boiling water for 3 hours with lid on. You will need to add extra boiling water periodically, make sure that whole dumpling is covered with water, all the time. Take out of pot, remove cloth - it will be very hot, so be careful. Put dumpling on tray & place on moderate oven 350F for 10 mins. Remove from oven and place on wire rack until cool.

Microwave Version

You will need cling film and microwavable dish

1/2 pint water
3/4 mug white sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 lb plain flour
1 desertspoon mixed spice
1 desertspoon cinnamon
1 tsp bicarb of soda
1/2 lb marg
1/2 lb mixed dried fruit
1/2 lb sultanas
1 tblsp treacle

Method
Put water, sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon, fruit, treacle and marg into a pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 min.
Remove from the heat.
Add the flour, bicarb of soda and eggs - mix well.
Line dish with cling film - allow cling film to go well over the sides of the dish.
Pour mixture into dish.
Do not cover the mixture.
Cook for 9 mins on high.
Allow to stand until cool.

Clootie dumping is a traditional Scottish dish, and not to be confused with other dumpling recipes. It has a "skin", which is meant to be eaten. Personally, can't bear it myself, but find myself alone in that one!
Tradionally made at Christmas time, but we kids always insisted on one at birthdays too - as well as birthday cake. There are a few of us, birthdays spread out over the year, so must have been a lot of hard work for Mum making the dumpling and doing the cake, making special birthday tea, and doing the normal everyday stuff too. In our house, from what I can remember, and at my Gran's - dumpling cooked in white pillowcase - think pillowcase was used only for dumplings, as would probably be stained after first use, so just kept for that purpose.

It can be served in slices as a cake/teabread kind of thing. Heard some people put butter on it, but never found the need.
Heated and served with custard, or with a bit of brandy cream/rum butter or great wallop of cream.
Or, ultimate in high cholesterol, is fried in slices and served with sausage, bacon, egg, black pudding etc. - I think potato scones also served, or fried bread. Never done this myself, but do remember getting it as a treat when I was a child - seriously scrummy. Anyway, would be fine grilled I think, just like those slices of fruit pudding you get for breakfasts.

Never cooked either recipes myself, but was thinking of doing for Christmas.
Anyway, hope this is of some use to someone.

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Oh Anne_Marie, this takes me back. icon7.gif

My Dad was the only one in the house who liked Clootie Dumpling and Mum was always too busy at Christmas making her shortbread and mince pies however a friend always made an extra one for my Dad and he loved it.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    Anne_Marie wrote:
    Clootie dumping is a traditional Scottish dish, and not to be confused with other dumpling recipes. It has a "skin", which is meant to be eaten. Personally, can't bear it myself, but find myself alone in that one!

ah the skin :drool: ... when my granny made us a dumpling, we all used to fight over who got the first slice, the one that had the most skin on

& when my other granny made it, she'd put silver threepennies wrapped in greasproof paper in it for us kids to find. I still have one of them tucked away in a safe place :)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Swan wrote:
    ah the skin :drool: ... when my granny made us a dumpling, we all used to fight over who got the first slice, the one that had the most skin on

& when my other granny made it, she'd put silver threepennies wrapped in greasproof paper in it for us kids to find. I still have one of them tucked away in a safe place :)

ooo the silver threepennies in the Christmas pudding, my Mum used to take them back from us when they went out of circulation and exchange them for first of all a sixpence then a shilling.

The silver threepennies were then put away for next year icon7.gif
  • Swan_2
    Options
    ooo the silver threepennies in the Christmas pudding, my Mum used to take them back from us when they went out of circulation and exchange them for first of all a sixpence then a shilling.

The silver threepennies were then put away for next year icon7.gif

my grandma used to do that too! & keep them in a little blue leatherette box, I used to sneak in & look at them, to my child's eyes they looked like a treasure hoard :)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    carol_a wrote:
    This sounds delicious and very similar to the "Spotted !!!!!!" that we used to have. Mum made that in a muslin cloth and the ingredients look almost the same except that I don't think we had treacle in it. Don't think Gillian Mckeith would approve though!
    Good :) I'd like to see her squirm!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I'd been meaning to look up cloutie dumpling- DD bought some cloutie dumpling flavoured fudge in Scotland this year- so thank you for the recipe. My mother used to make a lovely spotted !!!!!! in a cloth which we ate with butter and brown sugar.

Do you think it could be made in a slow cooker- I always forget to top up the water when steaming a pudding in the traditional way?
  • Swan_2
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote:
    I'd been meaning to look up cloutie dumpling

there are as many different recipes for it as there are cooks, & there are a couple of other versions on this page of the recipe board thread HERE :)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    I love this website for Traditional Scottish Recipes

icon7.gif
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Oh this is fantastic! I've just learnt how to make abernethy biscuits really easily. Now this! I remember my grannie making them. And yes, coins in the mix, definitely.

Thanks very much!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • kabie
    kabie Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    thinking about making clootie dumpling microwave style. Looks like a lot of mixture though: anyone got any idea how big my dish will have to be as I don't think I have one big enough and want to know before I start rather than halfway through!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport