Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Cost of replacing toilet cistern inner workings - how much should I pay?
    • 19th Aug 08, 9:36 PM
    Cost of replacing toilet cistern inner workings - how much should I pay? 19th Aug 08 at 9:36 PM
    Our new toilet cistern inner workings from were faulty. They provided replacements and asked us to get a plumber to do the work, pay for it and send the bill to them for reimbursement. The plumber charged us £95, which we duly paid. then refused to re-imburse us saying it should have cost no more than £30. I can't believe anyone would travel to do any household related job for £30 including 17.5% VAT. Can readers give me an idea of how much it costs for a plumber to visit, drain the toilet, and replace the inner workings in total ie. not just the ballcock but everything. We live in the country about 15 miles from the nearest town if that is relevant.

Thanks Binder
Page 1
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    • 19th Aug 08, 9:43 PM
    • 19th Aug 08, 9:43 PM
    its 30 mins tops for a plumber
  • mineallmine
    • 19th Aug 08, 10:49 PM
    • 19th Aug 08, 10:49 PM
    I bet this happens quite a lot.

If they gave you no upper limit at the start, then to impose an artificial cap afterwards is not transparent. Or fair.

I would focus less on the fact that they find £95.00 to be unreasonable (this is a bit of a red herring) and focus more on that they have seemingly recinded on the deal of covering your costs (whatever they may be) of putting things right.

Find out who the manager is at the local store and try and speak to them face to face.

If still no joy, ask for their name and title and for a contact name at the head office.
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 19th Aug 08, 10:52 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    • 19th Aug 08, 10:52 PM
    • 19th Aug 08, 10:52 PM
    i repair most cisterns within 30mins but do keep plenty of stock in van

prices range but on average i would always estimate around £75

if there did supply parts then this would reduce the cost i would charge

there are plenty of points which could mean the job could take longer

no service valves?

incorrect parts?

concealed cistern with little access?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

297Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • While I oft bemoan Xmas being a retail festival. It's strange today many are bitter that shops are REDUCING prices, usually its the opposite

• And leave people held hostage to high Xmas prices? Our tradition was Xmas discounts spread in Nov/Dec not on one day

• John Lewis website is down - its price matching black friday deals. Maybe its a good day to buy cheap extra servers?

• Follow Martin