IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Milk Tokens (Information)
Closed Thread
Views: 34,464
# 1
Tran
Old 19-11-2004, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Milk Tokens (Information)

The Department of Health has taken over sending milk tokens out from the DWP from 1st November 2004.

I found this out today as i hadn't had any milk tokens since 1st November and I know quite a number of my friends haven't had any for a few weeks too. The number to ring if you have any problems with receiving your milk tokens is 0845 8501032. The number appears to be constantly engaged and when you do get through it rings and rings and rings until someone bothers to answer it.

On enquiring how the system works now i was told that you get milk tokens 4-weekly sent out by first class post. The first lot were sent 1st november, next lot will be sent out 28th Novemeber and then 26th December etc etc on a 4-weekly cycle. If you become eligible for milk tokens (by becoming pregnant or by starting to get Income Support) They told me you need to get a form issued by a GP/midwife/health visitor and get them to sign it to confirm you are pregnant/have children under 5 years of age. The form then has to be sent (freepost) to the distribution centre in Chelmsford.

Hope this info helps someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tran For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Sarahsaver
Old 19-11-2004, 4:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Re: Milk Tokens (Information)

And if they owe you any backdated you should receive a cheque to cover the amount owing, if the tokens would be out of date. Mine took ages initially.
# 3
jellyhead
Old 20-11-2004, 2:01 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
If you become eligible for milk tokens (by becoming pregnant or by starting to get Income Support) They told me you need to get a form issued by a GP/midwife/health visitor and get them to sign it to confirm you are pregnant/have children under 5 years of age.
sorry to sound thick but are these milk tokens available to all pregnant women, or just those on benefits?
# 4
Ted_Hutchinson
Old 20-11-2004, 11:50 AM

Details here Free milk for pregnant women
This is a DOH leaflet which takes a short while to download.
From it you will find
You qualify for free milk tokens if you’re pregnant and you, or your family, receive any of these benefits:
• Income Support;
• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance;
• Pension Credit guarantee credit; or
• Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit), with a family income below £13,480.
# 5
jellyhead
Old 20-11-2004, 9:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

ahhh, i see :-)
# 6
wilf55
Old 19-05-2007, 12:47 AM

Default re sounding thick

my daughter who is single age 20 working on 11500 per annum is pregnant

no partner can she claim milk tokens she doesnt get child tax credits as this is her first child

thanks in advance
Save 12k in 2014 member 101 £168/6000
# 7
azjh77
Old 19-05-2007, 7:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think she is probably earning too much at the moment. To get the tokens you either need to be on income support or claiming CTC but not WTC (this is why I only work 14 hours per week instead of 16)

If she puts in a claim now she will be told she can't have it. Is she going back to work after? I couldn't claim until my Maternity allowance ended and I got my new contract on 14 hours.

She will need to work out whether it is worth getting an extra £5.40 a week, but losing her working tax credit.... works out better for us as we get free school dinners for the kids etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to azjh77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
wilf55
Old 19-05-2007, 10:37 AM

thanks she is planning on carrying on work after maternity leave but i never thought of looking at it like that just doing 14 hours however she has no other children and needs the money it was a happy unplanned suprise but she is still at home my home!! and is saving to move out im on benefits myself

does anyone know of a web site to tell me what she is and isnt entitled to thank you everyone
# 9
rammy007
Old 22-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Is this the healthy start scheme?
# 10
azjh77
Old 22-05-2007, 9:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yea, you get £2.80 tokens (x2 for a baby under one)

Whereas it used to be just for milk, now you can buy fruit & veg with them. If you pick the right till at Asda they accept them for everything! The other day I bought my veg and some nappies (was going to pay the extra) and the lad took 3 vouchers and my shopping cost 1 pence.

# 11
Scarlett1
Old 22-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf55 View Post
thanks she is planning on carrying on work after maternity leave but i never thought of looking at it like that just doing 14 hours however she has no other children and needs the money it was a happy unplanned suprise but she is still at home my home!! and is saving to move out im on benefits myself

does anyone know of a web site to tell me what she is and isnt entitled to thank you everyone
www.entitledto.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlett1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
emsywoo123
Old 24-10-2007, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjh77 View Post
I think she is probably earning too much at the moment. To get the tokens you either need to be on income support or claiming CTC but not WTC (this is why I only work 14 hours per week instead of 16)

If she puts in a claim now she will be told she can't have it. Is she going back to work after? I couldn't claim until my Maternity allowance ended and I got my new contract on 14 hours.

She will need to work out whether it is worth getting an extra £5.40 a week, but losing her working tax credit.... works out better for us as we get free school dinners for the kids etc.
hi I do not know if you can help but you sound very knowledgeable!! I am an SP looking to go back to work (on IS at mo) and cannot work out if I would be better off doing 15 or 17 hours a week?!:confused:
OU modules:
Complete - B120, BU130, U122 & DSE141
Getting ready for - B203
# 13
lynn44
Old 20-02-2008, 1:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Number has changed now to 08456076823 its called healthy start vouchers and for under 4 yrs old
I would love to be a Travel Agent
The Following User Says Thank You to lynn44 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
wilf55
Old 20-02-2008, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsywoo123 View Post
hi I do not know if you can help but you sound very knowledgeable!! I am an SP looking to go back to work (on IS at mo) and cannot work out if I would be better off doing 15 or 17 hours a week?!:confused:
i found my lone parent advisor very helpful for this sort of what if query ring local jobcentre plus and ask to speak to them
# 15
Shez
Old 04-03-2008, 2:06 PM

I have only just seen a leaflet at my job center about healthy start - and see that I qualify for vouchers for my 3yr old - but no one has ever told me about this!!! I have been on benefit for 6 months now - so do they back date it to when you started your benefit claim does anyone know?

I have started to fill the form out online.
# 16
Shez
Old 04-03-2008, 2:17 PM

I'm really annoyed as I have just phoned them and they say it is not backdated!!! I'm just wondering who should have advised me about this scheme - is it the job center or the child tax credit? I think I shall complain.
# 17
india
Old 04-03-2008, 8:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When I claimed Tax credit and Income support no one advised me it was only when I joined new deal at a later date the advisor told me about the scheme.
Closed Thread