PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Miller Homes: YAAAARRRRGH!

Options
Hi,

Does anyone, in this forum, have experience of buying a newbuild "Miller Homes" property? If so, did they manage to get any compensation out of Miller Homes and how?

My son and his partner have just moved into a Miller Homes property in Silverknowes Eastway development, Edinburgh.

The experience has been a nightmare for them made worse by the fact that their baby daughter was a mere few days old when the move had to be made due to postponement, by "Miller Homes". of the entry date. Initially they were to take possession of the keys at the end of August giving them a couple of weeks to settle in before their first baby was due to be born on 10th September. Teh entry date was continually postponed by MH. Eventually they were able to sign for the keys on 23rd September: the day the baby was actually born but tehy couldn't move into their new home until a few days later.

Apparently Miller Homes have a policy of NOT compensatign unhappy clients. They put to rights the problems :rotfl: .

Fair enough, if the "putting to rights" works and doesn't merely cause more disruption and grief. Fair enough, if the problem does not include the loss of ALL of a father's paternity leave because he had to spend it chasing Miller Homes customer services to rectify such basic matters as having hot running water and heatign in their new home.

The list goes on, and on and on and is, as yet, being increased as each day turns up another flaw.

I did suggest to the customer services area/regional representative that Miller Homes might want to offer my son and his partner a two week holiday, to be taken at their leisure, by way of apology for the loss of my son's two week paternity leave. This is when we were advised that it is the company's policy to NOT give compensation.

I would be most grateful to learn of teh experinces of others who purchased newbuild homes form Miller Homes and of their successes, if any, in obtainign compensation from the developers.

Like Einstein (well, maybe not exactly), I'm dyslexic so any spellign discrepancies herein, are to be viewed as a mere mark of distinction, individuality, nonconformity, unconventionalism, artistic creativity, free thinking and, oh go on then, if you must, genius :rolleyes:

Comments

• claire_kirkby
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with the snagging, it's taken almost one year and I'm not much further forward. What's more, three apartments in my block have been burgled as a direct result of Miller staff's incompetence (leaving doors unlocked on occupied properties they've been working in) or even collusion with local crims. One neighbour's front door was 'removed' not long after she moved in - only Miller Homes would have known that hers was the only occupied flat in the block...plus there's a multi-million pound fraud being investigated at the site and a lot of the gift vouchers that were meant to be in customer welcome packs were missing...all it all it suggests that Miller staff are failry dishonest and possibly even stealing from clients/contractors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure