Scar Reduction Pads, do they work?

Options
Hi, i was wondering if anyone has ever used and scar reduction pads, which are usually silicon i think, or any alternatives, as i have 2 small round scars (about 5cm in diameter), due to mole removasl on my chest which are quite a bit redder than the rest of my chest and now i get really embarressed when i take my top off.

Does anything work?

Comments

• skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I believe those pads do work if you have red, raised, scarring that's quite new. They won't work on old scars apparently. But I have no personal experience of them.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • barginboyrob
    Options
    i got it in june
  • plotholder
    Options
    please bear in mind that scars fade in time anyway - i have a lot on my leg and they really dont show that much anymore. do you mean 5cm as thats quite large for mole removal?

as for being embarrassed to take off your top - dont ever be ashamed just go for it. you have had the sense to deal with potentially problematic moles and more people should do this and be proud.
  • skintchick
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Four months is a while, but I'd say give them a go, because of they don;t work oyu've not lost much, and of they do you'll feel more confident.

I know what plotholder is saying, but sadly sometimes we don;t feel confident and people telling us not to feel ashamed doesn;t help.

I have a big birthmark all over my hand and arm, and I get embarrassed about that sometimes - sadly, I can;t cover it up and laser treatment has made it look even worse :( so I know whereof I speak.
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • plotholder
    Options
    skintchick wrote:
    Four months is a while, but I'd say give them a go, because of they don;t work oyu've not lost much, and of they do you'll feel more confident.

I know what plotholder is saying, but sadly sometimes we don;t feel confident and people telling us not to feel ashamed doesn;t help.

I have a big birthmark all over my hand and arm, and I get embarrassed about that sometimes - sadly, I can;t cover it up and laser treatment has made it look even worse :( so I know whereof I speak.

dont get me wrong skint chick my confidence took years of wearing long skirts etc, then after i went out in a shorter one (that showed my knee - no kneecap now so an odd shape too) a bloke on the bus told me it was disgusting and i should cover it up - i yelled at him on the crowded bus and got a round of applause from the other passengers.

i was just so angry i couldn't help myself but it really boosted my confidence now no-one even stares and certainly never comments. I think i was just too sensitive and really people dont only see the things about us that are defective - they see the real person instead.

good luck with this and i hope you can find a way to come to terms with this - it can be done
  • skintchick
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ah. Well, I get stares. And comments, although I prefer comments. Poeple who just stare and look away quickly when they realised you've seen them are the worst.

Weirdly, I now work with someone else who has a birthmark all over their hand too (although the right one, not left like me)! We call ourselves the Red Hand Gang!!
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I tried the Elastoplast Scar Reduction Plasters on a large scar that was about a year/year and a half old. In just 6 weeks they'd faded it from purple to creamy white, and it's so less noticable now!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• summerday
    summerday Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Options
    Do you think these pads would work on acne scarring? I have some scarring on my chin from where I picked at spots when I was younger.

Thanks, Sarah.
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams :)
  • Cath_S
    Cath_S Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    I have a friend who used bio-oil on an old scar, it faded quite a bit.

bio-oil

Maybe worth a try if the patches don't work?
  • Mr_Pink_3
    Options
    barginboyrob,

Silcone sheets for scar reduction do work. However the results you get will be directly proportional to how regimented you are in applying the sheets.

The 'gold standard' is a product called Cica Care (https://www.cicacare.com)

The Elastoplast and Boots stuff is based on the same principle but are not worth bothering with. Cica care is very expensive (about £40 a sheet) but can be cut, washed and re-used. They will be especially useful to you as they can speed up the process of a scar fading.

Another product is Dermatix (https://www.dermatix.co.uk) which is the same silcone covering principle but is an easy to apply gel and so, by definition, is inferior to a sheet of the material.

Both Cica Care and Dermatix are available on the NHS should the powers that be consider it likely that you will benefit from their use.

If you go for Cica Care try to use it 24/7 or as much as possible and stick with it.

All the best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport