Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 25th Oct 05, 1:19 PM
    • 4,457 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 25th Oct 05, 1:19 PM
    • 25th Oct 05, 1:19 PM
    When I go I buy about £100 of baht before i go then I just take english notes with me to change anywhere.You can get money from cashpoints over there I think there is a thread here somewhere about best credit card to use
    travelover
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 25th Oct 05, 1:20 PM
    • 50,949 Posts
    • 21,494 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 25th Oct 05, 1:20 PM
    • 25th Oct 05, 1:20 PM
    The cheapest way to spend overseas: save 6% Martin'a article.

ATM and Nationwide debit/cash card are always the best option. What debit card do you have? It could be better too than buying cheques or currency here in UK.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • sukey13
    • By sukey13 25th Oct 05, 1:32 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    sukey13
    • 25th Oct 05, 1:32 PM
    • 25th Oct 05, 1:32 PM
    Definitely open up a Nationwide Flex Account then you can withdraw cash out the atms over there with no charge.

Open at least a month before you go - tried to open ours with a fortnight to go before our holiday and they took ages to set it up and didn't do it in time. At least it's ready for next time.
  • lima
    • 25th Oct 05, 1:51 PM
    • 25th Oct 05, 1:51 PM
    Thanks for yor replies. I already have a Nationwide flex so looks like I'm already one step ahead! As suggested will probably take £100 in Thai baht and withdraw the rest. Does debit card give a better exchange rate than taking money and putting surplus in hotel safe or is security the main issue?
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 25th Oct 05, 2:20 PM
    • 50,949 Posts
    • 21,494 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 25th Oct 05, 2:20 PM
    • 25th Oct 05, 2:20 PM
    Thanks for yor replies. I already have a Nationwide flex so looks like I'm already one step ahead! As suggested will probably take £100 in Thai baht and withdraw the rest. Does debit card give a better exchange rate than taking money and putting surplus in hotel safe or is security the main issue?
    by lima
    The exchange rate is the main issue. The rate you get when withdrawing currency with Nationwide card is the best and cannot be beaten. I even wouldn't take £100 in local currency. You can withdraw money right at the Thailand airport. In unlikely case of emergency (ATM is out of order) you can always exchange some ££s to local currecy at Thailand airport.

• Donnie
    • 25th Oct 05, 2:32 PM
    • 25th Oct 05, 2:32 PM
    by lima
    NO! (where are my smileys?)

Don't change ANY money in the UK, it's COMPLETELY pointless. Just take your Nationwide card with you, there are cashpoints at the airport.
    You can take the £100 in UK cash with you if you like, for emergencies.
    ie. If you need to withdraw cash more than twice a day(Nationwide may limit you to two withdrawals daily for security purposes) or you misplace your card and need something to tide you over.
    Did you explore the links given to you? The Nationwide DC gives the best exchange rate anywhere.

In addition to this, I would take the Nationwide CC for purchases. I wouldn't dream of handing my debit card over to someone. Debit card for cash withdrawal, Credit card for purchases.
    Last edited by Donnie; 25-10-2005 at 2:38 PM.
  • pin
    • 25th Oct 05, 3:19 PM
    • 25th Oct 05, 3:19 PM
    There are plenty of ATM machines at the airport. Change your money when you get there, no need to take any spare sterling with you for money exchanging.

However I always take some spare currency (I carry some £, $ and €) whenever I go away now.
  • Donnie
    • 25th Oct 05, 3:24 PM
    • 25th Oct 05, 3:24 PM
    There are plenty of ATM machines at the airport. Change your money when you get there, no need to take any spare sterling with you for money exchanging.

However I always take some spare currency (I carry some £, $ and €) whenever I go away now.
    by pin
    Your post is contradictory.

"Change your money when you get there, no need to take any spare sterling with you for money exchanging."

"However I always take some spare currency (I carry some £, $ and €) whenever I go away now."
  • pin
    Your post is contradictory.

"Change your money when you get there, no need to take any spare sterling with you for money exchanging."

"However I always take some spare currency (I carry some £, $ and €) whenever I go away now."
    by Donnie
    Not wanting to get into an argument here.

The spare currency is for emergeny purposes only, I never take it with the view to converting it, just for emergencies.
  • Donnie
    Only teasing...I can't seem to find my 'smileys'.

It's just that I wrote, "You can take the £100 in UK cash with you if you like, for emergencies."
    and then you wrote,
    "no need to take any spare sterling with you for money exchanging." and ""However I always take some spare currency (I carry some £, $ and €) whenever I go away now."

Of course, you were just agreeing with me, just the way you wrote it was completely contradictory.

Can you help me find my 'smileys'?
  • Donnie
    Wahey! I think I've found them.
  • pin
    Sorry, my bad. Didn't read your post properly, I thought you meant take the £100 to change at the airport. Got it wrong.
  • edwardandtubs
    I'm off to Thailand in a weeks time and dont have a Nationwide account, I'm with Barclays (Connect Debit Card).

I'm trying to figure out whether or not to take travellers cheques (in sterling) or my debit card??.

Can anyone advise whats the best option??
  • Donnie
    American Express Sterling Travellers Cheques will be slightly better value, though the debit card will be convenient.
  • edwardandtubs
    Thought as much, just wanted to confirm. Barclays slap quite a bit of a charge on it dont they...
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 28th Oct 05, 3:14 PM
    • 50,949 Posts
    • 21,494 Thanks
    grumbler
    ... Barclays slap quite a bit of a charge on it dont they...
    by edwardandtubs
    http://www.personal.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccontrol?task=articleFWgroup&value=6295&target=_ self&site=pfs :
    Charge for Barclays handling costs and any VISA processing fees (included in the sterling conversion on your statement) 2.75%

Additional charge for all foreign transactions via a cash machine
    or in a bank over the counter .... 1.5% (min £1.50, max £4.50)
    I think with cheques you will lose about the same - but will have less flexibility. Do your maths before buying cheques. For current interbank rate see http://www.oanda.com/.
    Last edited by grumbler; 28-10-2005 at 3:17 PM.

• pin
    Remember in Thailand there is a 50 baht fee per TC you cash in.
  • edwardandtubs
    Remember in Thailand there is a 50 baht fee per TC you cash in.
    by pin
    Grumbler, Pin.

If I take a £50 Sterling Travellers cheque with me (for example) and cash it and get 72.78261 Bahts to the £1 (according to oanda.com) and pay the 50 baht charge which is about 68p, isnt this better than withdrawing £50 and getting charged 2.75% (£1.38) and 1.5% (min £1.50) in total £3.88?

I'm confused...
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 28th Oct 05, 5:57 PM
    • 50,949 Posts
    • 21,494 Thanks
    grumbler
    If I take a £50 Sterling Travellers cheque with me (for example) and cash it and get 72.78261 Bahts to the £1 (according to oanda.com) and pay the 50 baht charge which is about 68p, isnt this better than withdrawing £50 and getting charged 2.75% (£1.38) and 1.5% (min £1.50) in total £3.88?...
    by edwardandtubs
    1. I've never used travel cheques. I could be wrong, but I always was under impression that you never get interbank rate when selling them - the same as with currency exchange. The only advantage is extra protection.
    2. Yes, with £1.50 fixed charge it is not a good idea to withdraw such small amonts as £50. If, for example. you withdraw £250 it will be just extra 0.6%, as compared to 3% for £50.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,544Posts Today

8,018Users online

Martin's Twitter