Removing oil from carpet

Options
Has anyone any advice on removing oil stains from carpet. Some buffoon (DH) trekked through our hall with oil on his shoes late last night, only I didn't realise it was oil until I tried to remove it with Mr Muscle Multi-Task this morning :rolleyes: I now have very grubby oily stains on a cream carpet :mad: :mad: and DH has a sore head (No, I didn't hit him, just shouted very loudly)
MFW 2021 No: 33 £45000/£45000 Mortgage free @ 11/6/21 🥳

Comments

• economiser
    Options
    I am sure there are proprietary cleaners which would do this ("thawpit" springs to mind) but it might be worth trying white spirit or even petrol? Try it on a bit that doesn't show first of course.

Caution: One should of course be very careful using flammable liquids in a confined space. Use small quantities on a cloth, keep the room well ventilated and no naked lights.
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I often use Vanish and I find it cleans amazingly well. When I used to have a stoned coloured carpet, I used a Vanish bar to clean all sorts of stains. Just follow the instructions. It's a handy little cleaner, good also for upholstery. I know, not very OS but sometimes "modern" stuff does the job and saves time.

Good luck, Roxie, and make sure DH knows he'll get another sore head if he repeats the offence!!
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Roxie
    Roxie Posts: 635 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll try the Vanish before the white spirit, hope I can find the solid bar, haven't seen this in the shops for months, I found it far more effective than the liquids. Unfortunately all the stains are highly visible - as will be the bumps on his head if he dares do it again!
    MFW 2021 No: 33 £45000/£45000 Mortgage free @ 11/6/21 🥳
  • barjam_2
    barjam_2 Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    Options
    try fairy washing up liquid i always try that first before i try anything else usually works on anticlimb paint when my kids get it on their clothes no they are not rogues its just the garages beside ours have the paint all over the bl**dy walls and usually goes on the football without the kids noticing:mad: :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure