letter from rhf productions

Options
hope ive posted this in correct thread.
can anyone please help.
i received the following letter

when you registered with us you indicated that you would make payment by direct debit. we recently approached your bank to set up a direct debit instruction. unfortunately this transaction was unsuccessful and the latest reason given was instruction cancelled.
we now require details of how this and future payments will be met. please call ********* alternatively please complete the enclosed direct debit instruction or credit card mandate and return to us.
i had no idea who these people were so i phoned them and they say they are an adult content movie channel called red hot movies, they say that i registered in 2001 and that a movie was watched on 12th june 2008, firstly i have never registered with this company and have certainly never watched any such movie.
they told me that i could pay by cheque if i wanted to and to make it out to digibill as they recently took over the company and to also put my sky viewing card number on the back of cheque.
a member of my family think this is a scam because to view these movies you have to put a pin number in before watching (only i know the number)
can anyone please advise what i should do next.
thanx in advance

Comments

• GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    Options
    I would amend the "prove it" letter stating that you do not know who this company is and are not aware of the transaction they refer to.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=11570893#post11570893

Definately do not phone them or give out any personal details to them if they phone you. If you are concerned about this, contact sky. It may jbe a company that have bought a mailing list and are sending this out to everyone.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • StephLaceDan
    Options
    I've just received a letter from this company too, actually, a MR VIEWER, has received this at my address! :(
  • GeorgeUK
    Options
    Steph - i'd send the "prove it" letter to them and if they try to force the issue, contact sky to see what they have to say about it. I'd do this in writing so that you have a papertrail if required.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

• StephLaceDan
    Options
    Thanks George,
    I phoned them yesterday to see just what information they required (no intention of giving it to them mind), they asked for name (be handy as there isn't one on the account!), home phone number, address and sky viewing card number.

When I queried why there was no name on the letter, I was told it was because the nature of the service meant they had to be discreet LOL surely that's the opposite of discreet?

I also queried the ethics of sending intimidating letters requesting credit card/direct debit details without giving information of service provided or indeed the amount they wanted to collect and was told "There's no con going on here".

Filled me with confidence! Off to write to the them now, thanks again for advice.
    Steph
  • GeorgeUK
    Options
    I'd contact Sky in the first instance to see if they are aware of the company and if they have details of what movies were viewed on your sky box on the date in question.

If i were to write to the company evens stating that they were to prove the debt was mine, i would want some ammunition to throw back at them showing they are talking carp. Might be worth a quick phone call to sky just to cover the bases.

• Dithering_Dad
    Dithering_Dad Posts: 4,554 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    When I queried why there was no name on the letter, I was told it was because the nature of the service meant they had to be discreet LOL surely that's the opposite of discreet?

Lol, I just had a mental image of the letter being addressed to "Mr !!!!!! Watcher" or "Mrs Dirty Cow". :rotfl:

If I were you, I'd throw it into the bin and forget about it. It's obviously a scam - they don't even know your name, so how can they prove that you owe them for subscription services? I'm also betting that they didn;t mention your bank details (or even bank name) when they informed you that the direct debit had failed. A legitimate company would have supplied the details so that you could check the sort code & account number for errors.

Don't waste your time with these people, you'll just end up giving them more personal information for them to 'firm up' (ooer - might not be the best phrase in the circumstances) their scam.

p.s. I have just noticed your username. Perhaps in light of your !!!!!! bill, you should consider changing it to xxxjulyxxx? ;)
    Mortgage Free in 3 Years (Apr 2007 / Currently / Δ Difference)
    [strike]● Interest Only Pt: £36,924.12 / £ - - - - 1.00 / Δ £36,923.12[/strike] - Paid off! Yay!! :)
    ● Home Extension: £48,468.07 / £44,435.42 / Δ £4032.65
    ● Repayment Part: £64,331.11 / £59,877.15 / Δ £4453.96
    Total Mortgage Debt: £149,723.30 / £104,313.57 / Δ £45,409.73
  • dollydaydream07
    Options
    xxjulyxx wrote: »
    hope ive posted this in correct thread.
    can anyone please help.
    i received the following letter

when you registered with us you indicated that you would make payment by direct debit. we recently approached your bank to set up a direct debit instruction. unfortunately this transaction was unsuccessful and the latest reason given was instruction cancelled.
    we now require details of how this and future payments will be met. please call ********* alternatively please complete the enclosed direct debit instruction or credit card mandate and return to us.
    i had no idea who these people were so i phoned them and they say they are an adult content movie channel called red hot movies, they say that i registered in 2001 and that a movie was watched on 12th june 2008, firstly i have never registered with this company and have certainly never watched any such movie.
    they told me that i could pay by cheque if i wanted to and to make it out to digibill as they recently took over the company and to also put my sky viewing card number on the back of cheque.
    a member of my family think this is a scam because to view these movies you have to put a pin number in before watching (only i know the number)
    can anyone please advise what i should do next.
    thanx in advance

Hi

my husband recieved this same letter this morning and from what i googled its for some !!!!!! channels - we have never watched !!!!!!, just not our thing and theres only us 2 here - but we do recall every so often a certain amount of money(£15 or there abouts) coming out of our account and always wondered what it was for! we have watched sky box office but thats all and i cant find any info regarding box office films
    DH says he is going to ring them when he gets home later to find out more info but it just seems really dodgy as theres no mention of any bank account details or when he apparently registered or films suposed to have watched etc and we have had numourous veiwing cards over the last 6 years due to moving house and upgrading to sky+ etc, so we have moved house etc how have they managed to get our current address!!
  • GeorgeUK
    Options
    I would also contact your bank to see what this £15 is being payed to.
    Make sure you don't give that company any information over the phone.

Might be worth checking with sky too - they may be able to itemise a bill for you or say what has been watched on your system.

• darrenbrad
    Options
    I have recieved a couple of letters from RHF productions this is a compnay that i had never heard of. I did some investigating and found that they are a company that deal in !!!!!! channels on sky under the name red hot.

i have never had any dealings with this company. They are saying that i have canceeled a DD with them and that i owe £29 .95 ( Small amount i know but it is the principle.) i asked them for proof of what i am supposed to have watched.

I called there centre at 10p a minute to ask them what this was about and the customer service were quite blunt in saying that if i do not pay ten they will get debt collectors involved. within a day or so a got a call from Westcot credit service saying they are looking for the amount of £23.96 ( Even smaller amount) .
    I have since recieved a second letter from RHF productions with a note of what i am supposed to have watched there is no sky card number account number telephone number adress or name on this sheet that relates to anything i have.

I have also recieved a letter dated 24/12/2010 from westcott services saying they have suspended all collection activity while the matter is under investigation. but on the same day i recieved a letter from RHF productions saying that i owe £29.95 and they have proof that it is from my sky box and they have my SUBS ID ( Whatever that is ).

They do not seem willing to share this with me all i want is proof that these programmes were watched from here.

can some one please let me know what to do about this as i do feel that it is a scam from both RHF productions and Westcot whi incidentally do not seem to be a member of any financial service

Is ther any body else out there with the same problem

Darrenbrad:(
  • matteo25
    Options
    I also recieved a letter from RHF Productions, stating that "when i registered i indicated that i would make payment by credit card. Unfortunately this transaction was unsuccessful"

I've never heard of this company before and they've given no details on what i supposedly owe, why or detailed which bank account has declined payment?

Like others on here, I'd be grateful for some advice. Do I simply ignore the letter and see what happens or should i write to them asking them to send the above details to me? I do order Sky Box Office events regularly, however these are all sports based.

This is the first letter i've recieved from RHF.

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport