Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Top-up fees for care home?
    • #1
    • 1st Jul 08, 6:24 PM
    Top-up fees for care home? 1st Jul 08 at 6:24 PM
    I am posting this on behalf on my partner. His mother has been in a care home for the last 18 months as she has dementia - my partner and his brother had to go to the court of protection to get access to her financial affairs to pay the care home, and this has only just been resolved. Last month, their father was also placed in a (different) care home as his dementia means that he is unable to live alone. His care home has now sent my partner and his brother agreements to sign for a "third party top-up" of £200 per month. Obviously this is a different scenario to that they faced with their mother and they are reluctant to sign this. None of us has ever heard of children being expected to contribute towards the cost of their parents' care. :confused: Does anyone have any experience of this? Could the home refuse to accommodate their father if they do not pay? He is able to pay for his care himself, probably for a number of years, but his dementia means that his sons will have to go through the frustrating and lengthy process of applying to the court of protection and experience tells us that the home is likely to get impatient and start threatening legal action for unpaid fees (as was the case with my partner's mother).
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,507Posts Today

6,570Users online

Martin's Twitter