share perks in ISA Wrapper?

Options
Hi I am considering buying shares in a self select ISA for 2008.

What I am wondering is are any perks still available if the shares are held in an ISA rather than via a traditional share certificate?

As an example (I am not actually considering Barratt, but am just using this as an illustration)

Holders of Barratt shares get £500 discount on every £25,000 (or part thereof) spent with Barratt Homes or KingsOak Homes on new or part-exchange homes in the UK and USA. So if I were about to purchase a Barratt Home, this might be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks in advance
I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Comments

• cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most perks are conditional on the shareholder being on the register. Since shares held in an ISA are in nominee accounts, they will not entitle the ISA investor to perks.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most perks are conditional on the shareholder being on the register. Since shares held in an ISA are in nominee accounts, they will not entitle the ISA investor to perks.
    That said, I have heard that sometimes it is possible to get the share perks through your broker even if they are in nominee accounts. I've never tried to achieve this though, so I have no idea how it works.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems that the playing field is about to be levelled for nominee accounts. This may also have positive implications for perks?

http://www.moneyextra.com/news/news-optin-shareholder-035629.html
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whether any share perks are available to nominee shareholders (including ISA/PEP accounts) is purely at the discretion of the company involved - there is no 'fixed' rule and you would need to check in each case.

zzzLazyDaisy mentions the introduction of new rules covering the right of nominee shareholders to vote and/or get company communications given under the new Companies Act. These new rules do not extend to perks as they are 'optional' at the discretion of the company involved

It is generally not a good idea to buy shares because of any perk they carry.

Regards
    Sunil
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    It is generally not a good idea to buy shares because of any perk they carry.

I'm not investing purely for perks, but AM interested in any benefits that might be available if I invest in shares rather than funds.

Thanks for your comments - I'll make further enquiries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure