Checking electrician is qualified

Options
I live in a new build and I'm not competent with DIY other than putting furniture together and shelves, the usual stuff.

I'm getting 2 new light fittings from the ones that came in the house to a pendant type that I've just bought. I searched on Facebook for electricians and found one that is charging me £30 to change them both.

Should I be checking that he is qualified/registered before allowing him to carry out the work, even with it being a small job? I don't want to invalidate my home insurance or anything from the NHBC. Should I be getting a minor works certirice once he's finished etc.? If there's any more advice you could give it would be very much appreciated!

I'm a finance manager so I'm already at the ready to ask him why he's charging VAT if he's not VAT registered (he doesn't have a website, just a Facebook page with good reviews)

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want a reliable, qualified and experienced sparky, then Facebook is not really the place to start.
    Having said that, it's a very simple job that any handyman could do (or DIY), I doubt if for that price you are getting someone formally qualified.
    Yes, you should get a minor works cert.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Macman - I just asked the person carrying this out if they can provide a minor works certificate and they replied yes, it will get posted to me after the work is completed and will cost me an extra £25. Is this normal?
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    no, you should get the certificate in your hand. Look for electrical trade websites NICEIC etc and find a qualified sparky.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,887 Forumite
    Options
    There is no requirement to provide a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate for replacement of an accessory/luminaire as the circuit has not been altered. This does not, however, negate the need for appropriate inspection and testing.

For £30 the so-called "Electrician" is not qualified nor competent, however. (Certainly not competent in business practice.)
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Thank you everyone. I cancelled the one we booked and searched in the NICEIC website and there was one who lives 15 doors down from me and has already done the job well
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Good Right approach great result!
    Perhaps you would also post how long the job took and what it cost?

I am normally in agreement with Risteard's sensible and accurate postings but disagree that a competent electrician could not do the job for £30 (ex vat).

Provided the job was straight forward, two fittings changed and testing can be done in an hour. Another half for admin, perhaps at most. There are competent and qualified electricians in my area that work for under 30 an hour!

A major trade organisation I know that does M&E work averaged 20 minutes to install each new socket excluding running in wiring, so how long to change a fitting?

Might be useful Risteard if you would justify your comment and give costs?
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not just look on the internet and find a bona fide electrician instead of hanging around facebook? Would you look for a dentist on facebook?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know any sparky who would do that job for £30. Depends on area obviously but certainly not in the South East. Add in travelling time and overheads and that is not a feasible hourly rate for a professional.
    Any competent handyman would have done it, but I'd expect to pay maybe £40, and that would be cash.
    How do you know if it's a 'great result' for the OP without knowing what the genuine sparky charged?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,887 Forumite
    Options
    There are competent and qualified electricians in my area that work for under 30 an hour!
    Not for the first hour though as this involves travel etc. - you will find a call-out type scenario where the first hour will always be substantially dearer than subsequent hours (notwithstanding day rates etc. for larger jobs).
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    I understand what macman and risteard are saying but....

I am not in the SE and many others aren't too. You will likely pay a lot more in the SE and London but they are not representative of the whole of the UK!

I live in a small town we have two very good electrical businesses that cost less than the discussed figure and the furthest away would be here in five minutes! They do not charge travelling time though they probably would if they were travelling to the SE :rotfl:

But yes risteard, despite what you write they do charge under 30 for the first and subsequent hours! That is actual fact, not opinion or a generalisation!

I readily accept that charges are often much more than that especially in cities and towards the SE and in remoter rural areas.....but not everywhere. The OP has not mentioned his location as far as I can see.

Great result? Yes! I mean in terms of the OP sensibly seeking advice on here, getting good advice.....and then following it. Success!
    Obviously no idea if the job has been done well, economically except what the OP has written. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure