Housing Benefit and Full Time Wage

Options
nat1970
nat1970 Posts: 9 Forumite
edited 2 September 2015 at 9:28PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi I current work Part Time 25 hrs per week and earn approx £19K the Housing Benefit peeps have told me that I have been over paid HB and have cut my entitlement by atleast £300 per month, and I am paying back to overpayment I now am struggling with rent etc and I am looking at going back full time,

My co have offered a salary of approx £30K and I will have to pay £200 per month in child care I wont get any tax credits help.

I am a single mum and trying to work out if it is worth the extra hours or not.

Any advise please :j

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You're asking if earning an extra £11k is worth it or not with an extra £2,400 of annual expenses? Really...it's a no brainer take the full time job spend the £200 a month on child care don't claim any more benefits and you'll be much better off especially in the long term.

The overpayments are now a debt and you can pay them back in manageable instalments. If £50 a month is all you can manage then that's what they'll have to accept.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • nat1970
    Options
    Hey sorry maybe I did not explain it properly so today with the benefits and my wage I get £2058. going full time and taking off £200 per month child care I would bring home £2083 - £50 to HB = £2033 so more hours and less money does that make better sense ?
  • merlin68
    merlin68 Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    Options
    Its a no brain er, with all the changes to welfare coming in. You wont be paying childcare for ever. I'd grab it while you can 30k is a huge salary.
  • nat1970
    Options
    Hey it will be school aftercare but I just presume that the salary is too high to get help taxs credits has always been a sticky point for me as they always get it wrong! I know I will be better off full time but will miss being there before and after school for my little one ;-(
  • nat1970
    Options
    Also my rent is £1300 per month for a 2 bed property so salary whist is huge by the time the bills and car finance are cleared there really is not a huge amount left over.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nat1970 wrote: »
    Also my rent is £1300 per month for a 2 bed property so salary whist is huge by the time the bills and car finance are cleared there really is not a huge amount left over.

You might still get a bit of housing benefit. What's the 2 bed LHA rate for your area?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 September 2015 at 6:25PM
    Options
    nat1970 wrote: »
    Hey it will be school aftercare but I just presume that the salary is too high to get help taxs credits has always been a sticky point for me as they always get it wrong! I know I will be better off full time but will miss being there before and after school for my little one ;-(

threshold is higher with childcare and it will be a while before your full £30k would be used for the calculations due to changing part way through a tax year and the disregards
    for simplicity assume change October
    Current salary £19k and (assuming this was the same last year) the award is based on the £19k
    increase this year to £30k in October means new total for tax year = £24.5k, due to the disregard this would mean this years award would be based on £19.5k so a small reduction however you would receive the 30 hour element and childcare contribution so overall a likely increase
    16/17 award would be based on £24.5k initially but you are earning £30k and because of the disregard the revised award would be based on £27.5k (updated due change of disregard as post#12)
    17/18 award now reflects your £30k salary
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you agree £50p/m to repay the overpayment, you will have to find the additional £350p/m from somewhere.
  • nat1970
    Options
    Hi it is £302 per week
  • nat1970
    Options
    LHA is £302 per week
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income