Real-life MMD: Should I secretly switch my husband's Shreddies to save cash?

Options

Comments

• Angela84
    Angela84 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keep up the swapping. Don't feel guilty, you're trying to save your family money, he should be being supportive in that as well. If he can't even 'try' the own brand to see if he likes them for you, then you've done all you can. I do things like this often with my brand snob and food paranoid husband. I've tried to make a joke and do a grand review once or twice, but it's ended in arguments so now I just quietly get on with it, and reap the much needed savings for the bills.
    LBM January 2017 £34k will have paid back finally by my DFD May 2021
    got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i think keep swapping, especially as Mr A sells their own brand 750g boxes 3 for £3 bargain. If saves a few pennies then that is good for me.
  • macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Keep swapping and dont tell. Just buy the occasional new box when on offer. If you tell him he will say 'I thought they tasted different' (!!)
    :hello:
  • maxmiler
    maxmiler Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If he is daft enough to not even knowingly try them, then he doesn't deserve to know. Keep treating him like the fool he is.

p.s. I really don't know, but it's just possible that they are made in the same factory to almost the same recipe.
  • ashleyriot
    ashleyriot Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    pwharley wrote: »
    Why not try it the other way around?

Put Shreddies inside an own-brand box and implore him to try them "Just once, dear?".

If he still says he doesn't like them, you can expose them as the "real thing" and see his reaction!!

If he says "They're OK", you've won! Buy the own-brand thereafter.

(PS I like Shreddies, but I find the own-brands perfectly acceptable. If Shreddies are on offer, I buy them; otherwise I buy the store brand.)

Oh my gosh! Best idea ever!!
  • ashleyriot
    ashleyriot Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    Seems very strange to deliberately give your loved one something he said he doesn't like.
    Also seems strange to deliberately deceive a loved one.

No wonder the divorce rate is so high.

Lol, yes divorce rates are high because of the Shreddie-swapping epidemic.

He does like them as well! He just doesn't know he likes them.

The problem will be in the end male pride and the fact that he realises that actually, the own-brand ones weren't bad at all.
  • kirkwisebeard
    Options
    My ex wife worked in the factory where Shreddies are made... three days a week, it was Shreddies... four days a week, it was own brands... same ingredients, same factory, same staff, slightly different moulds etc... just like digestive biscuits and Jaffa cakes... an awful lot of the own brands are made in the McVities' factory in Ashby de la Zouch....
  • joehoover
    joehoover Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    How old is your husband?!

Let him to do the shopping and budget everything then if he's not happy with what you buy.

Problem solved.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not good. Grasping at straws comes to mind. If this is the last thing you can save money on there really is no hope for you.

Very entertaining, reading all the above delightful schemes. But you wouldn't like him to muscle in with the same trick on your make-up. Let the guy come round to it in his own time.
  • davholla
    davholla Posts: 523 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    macaroni wrote: »
    Keep swapping and dont tell. Just buy the occasional new box when on offer. If you tell him he will say 'I thought they tasted different' (!!)
    I agree 100%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport