Holiday misleading info - who's at fault

Options
We booked a holiday through onthebeach.co.uk. Basically when we arrived at the hotel, it was different on various levels. We called OTB and were told to either find somewhere else ourselves or wait until we got home and then raise a complaint; which we opted to do as we were half way through our holiday when they finally got back to us!

After making the complaint we were told by OTB that it wasn't anything to do with them because they just make the booking and take payment - they then pass it on to third parties, in this case You Travel. At no point when booking the holiday were we told to check the accommodation details with You Travel as they might have different information.

My question though is that, we booked with OTB knowing they are ABTA and ATOL protected. However, it appears that You Travel are not. So ABTA cannot assist with my complaint. So, why do OTB have ABTA protection and what is it for?

Comments

• StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You booked with OTB, paid OTB, so your contract is with them...

Hard to help you though, as you have given no info as to what the issue was, is, etc.. and what you want from the complaint u made ?
  • dwill1503
    dwill1503 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    That is all I wanted confirming really. The issues were all with the hotel - we were told : room definitely had a bath - it didn't (having a baby this was one of our criteria), hotel had a gym (it didn't) sauna (it didn't) restaurant and bar (only bar no restaurant), inclusive air-con (we had to pay over £150!) and many other things which on their own may not seem important but all together it was a completely different hotel to the one we booked.
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Without all the details it is hard to be specific in a point of view, but..

It's not quite as simple as you booked with OTB so your contract is with them. They claim to act as an agent for 3rd parties, in this case Youtravel. That is actually something many agencies do, primarily to reduce their VAT bill, but it has implications for legal liability as well (I'm not a lawyer so won't go deeper on that, the law around this is complex and not heavily tested in court).

However, if you booked based on the information on the OTB site, and it proved to be factually inaccurate, they cannot completely shirk their responsibility for that. They will have disclaimers in their terms about accuracy of information (reasonable as they have so much product and rely on third parties, who also rely on others etc), but in practice reputable companies will still entertain genuine complaints if their info is wrong. At the very least, it is they rather than you who should take up any issues with Youtravel.

ATOL and ABTA protection are really in the event of supplier financial failure, they are not there to cover quality complaints. However, ABTA will have guidelines for how its members should deal with complaints, and that is regardless of whether OTB is acting as principal or agent. Pursue via ABTA if no joy with OTB.

Quality complaints are notoriously difficult unless they are factual (e.g. info said hotel had swimming pool and none existed). If something is in a greyer area around customer expectation, it comes down to customer service.

FYI, although Youtravel is not an ABTA member, they do say on their consumer website that they abide by ABTA guidelines. They are owned by FTI, a large and reputable German tour operator.

Hope this helps
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On the Beach will have been provided with a hotel description by You Travel, so any errors in that description will likely be the fault of You Travel. That is unless there has been a computer error and OTB have attached the wrong description to the wrong property.

The original post is a little vague, as you don't say what was different. As you've mentioned You Travel I can only presume it's something to with your accommodation. If the description was totally wrong i.e wrong resorts, distances from places, no swimming pool etc then fair enough. But if its something such as pool closed, no kids entertainment in low season or quality of accommodation then you may find somewhere in the terms and conditions that this can happen sometimes at the hotels discretion (say for example if the hotel is too quiet to warrant such facilities) and therefore nothing much can be done.

If you provide more info someone may be able to help more.
    Lea :confused:
  • lea2012
    Options
    Sorry it seems that there were a few more responses whilst I was typing mine.
    When you say you were told, was this over the phone or via their website? If over the phone then there is a possibility that the call was recorded and you can ask to listen to the call. If online, did you take a screen shot at the time of booking? ( I know I wouldn't do this and don't expect that many people would.) Or have you checked since to see if it still says that?

In terms of the gym and bar / restaurant was there any sign of their ever having been one at the hotel? If they were there but closed then thats classed as the hotels discretion and would depend on the hotel offering some form of compensation. And again with the AC was it clearly stated that it was free during your stay? I.e it didn't say 'free in high season' or subject to time restrictions etc?
  • dwill1503
    Options
    Thank you all, that is very helpful.

I just find it hard to believe that OTB take a booking and then pass it on but then have no responsibility. I have spoken with YouTravel who have actually been very helpful and confirmed to me the details that they send to the booking agents - I am 100% sure that OTB have just simply not looked at this and therefore entered what they like on their booking website.

To add to this, I have also called OTB as a new customer and they have even given wrong info over the phone!

You have all answered my queries though so thank you :)
  • dwill1503
    Options
    lea2012 - yes I have screen shots of everything. I have literally printed them and gone through and pointed out all the black and white errors.

I have also found many errors with other accommodation places that they advertise. I am currently putting together a report outlining the areas that are either misleading or incorrect. Wish me luck :)
  • lea2012
    Options
    It sounds to me then that perhaps they have entered the information into their system incorrectly, or that the info has been linked incorrectly somehow.

I would expect that if you go back with the property description screen shot and indicate exactly what's wrong and explain to them what You Travel have said then they would have to look into it and possibly offer you some sort of compensation.

I wouldn't expect a lot, they may offer you a % of your hotel costs back but you can then see how far you want to go with it.
  • dwill1503
    Options
    Hello all,
    So, I am still in discussion with the holiday company about the incorrect hotel description except now the lady I am dealing with has decided to not reply to me for over a week and I am frustrated. ABTA won't help because they say that You Travel who Onthebeach booked with are not a member, even though OTB are. any ideas?
    BTW the lady I have been dealing with in case anyone else needs her contact details is claire.young@onthebeach.co.uk
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    onthebeach's shortcomings in the customer service dept (amongst others) is legendary.
    I admire your persistence, but wouldn't be holding my breath
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business