PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• Living_proof
    Options
    Well my old machine has not turned up, so yesterday I bought a second-hand Janome New Home for £35. It has obviously been really well looked after so I will start my sewing lessons next week, all being well.

Today I bought a pair of good quality lined curtains which I will maybe cut down and use the surplus for a couple of cushion covers, so that can be my first project!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Went to the Knitting and Stitching show at Olympia yesterday and I noticed a lot more younger women there than last year - good sign. Though I have to admit, the majority of us were ladies of a certain age and uncertain figure. I saw one solitary chap trailing dutifully along behind his wife pulling a wally trolley
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • freezspirit
    freezspirit Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Newbie can anyone advise me on how to make 2 seat pads and a matching tablecloth. Its a small dining table 80cm by 80cm, how much overhang should it be. How much fabric would I need to purchase? Is there a website that would give me step by step guide?

I'm thinking plain lilac or lilac and white squares.
  • Tarnlass
    Tarnlass Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I'm an Ok sewer but nothing sparkling but I've got an idea to make a friend a quilt/ bed spread as a Christmas gift. My idea is to make the pattern and then fix it to a summer 3 tog quilt. I just don't know how hard it will be or which pattern would be the easiest but still look good. Am I aiming too high ;)
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Freezspirit most fabric comes in widths of either 112 cm or 150 cm, and you'll need a hem on each side so if you buy 112 cm width you'll have a bit less than 15 cm hanging on each side, if you buy 150 cm width you'll have much more. Up to you which you think looks right, you can always cut a bit off the wider fabric (personally I'd just have more overhang, I'm too lazy!). Don't forget that if your table is square you'll want an equal overhang on the end as well as the sides - so buy a length to match the width.

All you do then is press a narrow hem on each side and then fold again so that the raw edge is enclosed, and machine through the folds to keep it stitched down. You could get fancy with invisible hemming and so on, but as you say you're a newbie I'd keep it simple.

I hope that makes sense, I'm sure if you Google there'll be an online tutorial somewhere.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tarnlass wrote: »
    I'm an Ok sewer but nothing sparkling but I've got an idea to make a friend a quilt/ bed spread as a Christmas gift. My idea is to make the pattern and then fix it to a summer 3 tog quilt. I just don't know how hard it will be or which pattern would be the easiest but still look good. Am I aiming too high ;)

Have a browse on YouTube. My sister uses it a lot and finds all sorts of demos by 'ordinary people' if you know what I mean !!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Freezspirit most fabric comes in widths of either 112 cm or 150 cm, and you'll need a hem on each side so if you buy 112 cm width you'll have a bit less than 15 cm hanging on each side, if you buy 150 cm width you'll have much more. Up to you which you think looks right, you can always cut a bit off the wider fabric (personally I'd just have more overhang, I'm too lazy!). Don't forget that if your table is square you'll want an equal overhang on the end as well as the sides - so buy a length to match the width.

All you do then is press a narrow hem on each side and then fold again so that the raw edge is enclosed, and machine through the folds to keep it stitched down. You could get fancy with invisible hemming and so on, but as you say you're a newbie I'd keep it simple.

I hope that makes sense, I'm sure if you Google there'll be an online tutorial somewhere.

I'd have it as long as possible too especially if you want to leave it on the table rather than just when you want to lay up for a meal. It looks far more luxurious.

An envelope cushion cover like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4OLOuGmnCU

is probably the simplest way of making seat pads without having to bother with zips. You can always sew ties (or pieces of ribbon/tape) on the corners to tie it to the chair if you want.
  • tlb2408
    tlb2408 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Wow loving the thread found it today.

I started sewing about a year ago a friend helped me make a coco top and I haven't looked back love sewing and spend far to much money on fabric and patterns which I am going to try and stop! I buy more patterns and fabric than I can sew.

I currently have the following cut out and on the go:
    a sew over it !!!!! bow blouse
    Sew over it Molly Top
    Toaster Sweater
    Agnes Top (Tilly and the buttons) which I need to hem but not liking
    and a bra (craftsy class) which is not going so well.

Anyone else sew underwear? I'm struggling a bit with the bra taking a lot longer than I thought! I think I've just now got bored with it never mind it might not actually fit me.

I am thinking about making a swimming costume with a full type bra in it (maybe should finish the bra first!). But I'm unsure of what fabric to buy and lining? Anyone got any advice - I have seen a craftsy class but get disappointed you don't get the patterns included in the price.

Hopefully next time I'll be able to post some pics of something I've actually made :-)
  • tlb2408
    tlb2408 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    mrssnowy wrote: »
    katkin wrote: »
    Some tote bag ideas:)

I've picked out a few fabrics from my stash that should be big enough as I'd like something roomy with strong straps and a lining.
    ]

maxresdefault.jpg

Katkin, I have made this one a few times and it is excellent,good and sturdy. holds a lot but not too big. I made them out of Laura Ashley cotton furnishing fabric and they didn't need lining,but it has double fabric on the base.

mrss

Where can I get this pattern please.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    tlb2408 wrote: »
    love sewing and spend far to much money on fabric and patterns which I am going to try and stop! I buy more patterns and fabric than I can sew.

:-)

That's standard I think :)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family