Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Money_Penny
    Mrs_Money_Penny Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Newgirly How is your Nan? Like you I'm glad it's cooler at the moment as I have a long list of cores to get through. Must get cracking soon, stop nursing the cat drinking coffee and put my iPad down. Busy day yesterday collecting our daughter fromKingston as Uni has finished. Looking after my Mum who's health has deteriorated the last few days.Shes hoping to get up today so let's hope it's a better day for her.
    I try and do a lot of my shopping in Aldi specially veg and fruit. Must go into Wilkinsons more for cleaning bits as they are quite cheap. Must go and get started and I'll check in with you later to see how we both got on.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Newgirly. Have a productive day.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Mrs mp, gran very confused still although we have been told there is nothing wrong with her ,mum has a meeting tomorrow to discuss her progress. Im sorry to hear your mum is not doing so well at the moment.

Lots of jobs done today, everything ready except the cleaning which I'll do in the week. We collected thevcoffee table today I got on fleabay, very pleased and a fascinating farmhouse where we collected from, it was like an episode of hoarders but with antiques, even the dirt track leading up to the farm was strewn with interesting things.

D's 2 just back from a 2 pm BBQ ,so I'm off to bed now :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Boring Monday morning update:

Flylady the kitchen
    Healthy clean eat all day
    No alcohol
    Finish DDS poem
    Go to work
    Look at centerparcs activities and decide what to do
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Edit, ds1 has been sick so I've taken the day off, the plus side of working for dh, although I'm running low on holiday a bit!

New plan pop to shops to get birthday cards from the boys, buy balloons \banners and then clean the whole house and finish all washing :D
  • newgirly
    Options
    Ds2 fine and going back to school, and me to work again :( I would love to be in the position I could think about giving up work, or even drop a day, best clear the mortgage.:D

Two mini successes yesterday, no alcohol and I ate "clean" - lots of it though ,but clean none the less.

Also discovered that aldi Greek yogurt and fresh cherries are very tasty together.

Read a great article on mmm, if you wouldn't buy it today then sell it type thing,pause for thought, made me think about the cars and what we should do over the next seven years (mortgage term left ie.time until we are skint until!)

We currently have : electric van, company owned separate from all our finances, use of evenings weekend, 2 seater.

Vauxhall zafira, 5+2 small seats,1.6l 58 plate, 51k miles, new clutch recently, big dent on driver side (hit by a double decker outside our house - £1700 to repair, didn't claim and left it.) £205 tax,£225 ins.

Eric, classic mini and car I've always wanted, bought for £2200 (very good price!) 1000 l , years not, tax £145 , insurance estimate £80 next year. Currently not being driven much due to excess of spiders!

We have three tall teens who don't often come out with us , but we still need space for if we do.The twins are both wanting to learn to drive when they are 17in two years, dd will learn when she Is less busy and doesn't see the point of owning a car.

I do not want any of them driving Eric as he is too small and only has drum brakes, so he thinks about stopping first ;)

I don't want to spend any more money on cars and am happy to have something boring and sensible for the next seven years, will my zafira last that long, the don't have great reviews for running costs ,should I ditch and switch to a diesel reliable Nissan/Toyota/vw saloon and run it In to the ground?

Should I keep and enjoy Eric for the next couple of years (that was the plan originally) then sell him and get a little corsa/fiesta type car for the kids to use and me to commute in if they are not. Or I could switch sooner a d use the second car for the commute.

My petrol costs are £100pm in the zafira, I commute one and a half hours a day, but the tube would cost £10 a day ,buses x3 £4.40 but would double commute. I work 3 days a week. Eric has done the commute ,but its a bit stressful as he is so small!

Any thoughts? :)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    To be honest, my initial thought is you should have had this conversation before you bought Eric. Sorry :(.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • newgirly
    Options
    I know ! I didn't want to though as I've always wanted a mini and it was kind of the last chance before having having to get a sensible car the kids can drive, no excuses really, i just really wanted one :o
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    what's the trip mix, annual mileage, MPG for the Zafira?

Any idea of trade in value

Going diesel may not be a good option if the mix is wrong.

Changing is often the expensive option unless you are into motors and find a great deal.

Rather than VW look at Skoda, Seat, Octavia might be a good fit.

The main issue is that the chances are you will need to be looking at a change within/end of the 7 years window(if the kids/you don't crash it)

Probably worth budgeting £100-£200pm for maintenance/replacement.

personally I would go AUTO if changing but with kids learning to drive you need manual so keeping the current car till the kids have passed their tests may be a good target to review and time to save for a replacement.

Perhaps review Eric, if you have storage maybe SORN for 6months a year or even a full year. (small savings but every little helps)

Another option may be to look at leasing options, might be a lower risk fixed cost option.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Getting dd named as a driver on the zafira is over £6 k on go compares cheapest quote :eek: Im getting about 32mpg commuting. Trade in around £3500 without the foot and a half long dent taken into account! Annual milage around 8 k I think.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback