PayPal refund - international INR claim

Options
2»

Comments

• steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did you send payment by "Friends & Family"?
    If so you are not covered by Paypal and wont be refunded
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    steveE2 wrote: »
    Did you send payment by "Friends & Family"?
    If so you are not covered by Paypal and wont be refunded

And I would beg the questions, why are you not speaking to the 'relative' to ask what was declared or if they will refund you.

It sounds like you've asked for a nil value/gift value and the [STRIKE]seller[/STRIKE] relative hasn't obliged.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    33333 wrote: »
    You can still reimburse your relatives for example for something they send you but that doesn't make it a commercial transaction, does it...? And in particular if the payment only covers part of the full value of the parcel. Usually it would only be classified as a commercial transaction if for instance an element of profit or regularity was involved - neither of which applies.
    Meanwhile a copy of the shipping document has been received from the sender and it turned out for whatever reason they stated the value excessively high (seems they misunderstood the different entries in the document).
    Hence coming back to the original question - if returning the item and submitting an INR, would PP refund the original payment in full based on the tracking information?

I can really only echo what has been said already, this is beginning to sound like a business transaction that has gone wrong and trying to dress it up as a paid for gift isn't really working as you don't appear to have any contact with your 'relative'.

Tax and duty is payable on the declared figure , if that figure is completely wrong then it becomes a matter between you and the retailer. I can't find anything written in paypal help pages that give me any confidence that an INR claim will be successful in this instance. From snippets and threads on various boards, which I appreciate do not constitute paypal rules, it appears that the seller may be able to defend an INR, the same was as they can on ebay, by proving an item has been refused at customs.

My advice would be to call paypal, drop all the nonsense about the gift and relative, be honest, say you bought something and you think it has been misdeclared and are you able to win an INR if you refuse the package. No one on here is going to be able to reassure you like paypal themselves.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    33333 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2017 at 2:08AM
    Options
    To clarify - the parcel wasn't sent by a commercial entity / retailer. The reference to relatives was generic to exemplify that in private personal interactions between family and friends there does not always have to be an element of commerce involved for a payment to be made! & Yet, depending on the personal relationship to that person, one may still prefer to pay normally - even with family members!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    33333 wrote: »
    To clarify - the parcel wasn't sent by a commercial entity / retailer. The reference to relatives was generic to exemplify that in private personal interactions between family and friends there does not always have to be an element of commerce involved for a payment to be made! & Yet, depending on the personal relationship to that person, one may still prefer to pay normally - even with family members!

Then the advice above still stands, if this is a personal transaction from someone you consider family or friend, ask them what was declared and explain that this is going to cost you more and would they prefer it returned ? I can't see what th eissue is if this is truly a personal transaction.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you pay towards the item, you may think it could still be classed as a gift, but HMRC beg to differ!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure