Redundancy Issues

Options
Hi all,
Asking here on behalf of my girlfriends mother who has recently been made redundant from the private school she works for as a teaching assistant. The story goes like this..

She was initially made redundant due to school closure at the end of this academic year. Entitled to circa £8k I believe, unless they got a new job before the closure (I think). Although they allowed people to go for interviews as necessary.

She begins looking for jobs, during which the school board and parents tried getting a plan to save the school, which they did, although the school would now be catering for those with learning difficulties and troubled upbringings. Different from the private school it was.

She recently has been offered a job at another local school, starting in the next academic year.

Last night, the people who were 'saving' the school have now pulled out altogether and the school will shut down again. There are now saying they cant pay the redundancy money or even any wages for July and August, rendering her last two weeks work unpaid!

The school breaks for summer holidays today, so this will be her last day on the job.
Where does she stand!?

Appreciate any help!
#157 - Save £12k in 2016: £12000 / £12000
House deposit saving mode active: £40000 / £40000

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Who is the employer?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ashers92 wrote: »

Where does she stand!?

In a line with all the other creditors. Although she will be amongst those at the head of the queue as she is a preferential creditor. I am presuming that the school is insolvent as it can't pay its bills and will be in liquidation.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Ashers92 wrote: »
    ..The school breaks for summer holidays today, so this will be her last day on the job.
    Where does she stand!?...

Basically, the government will step in and pay her. Although there are limits. You can only get statutory redundancy for example.

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent/claiming-money-owed-to-you
  • Ashers92
    Ashers92 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Who is the employer?
    She is/was employed directly by the school.
    In a line with all the other creditors. Although she will be amongst those at the head of the queue as she is a preferential creditor. I am presuming that the school is insolvent as it can't pay its bills and will be in liquidation.
    The closure is due to a lack of students, and therefore income to maintain the operation.
    antrobus wrote: »
    Basically, the government will step in and pay her. Although there are limits. You can only get statutory redundancy for example.

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent/claiming-money-owed-to-you

I'll have to look into this. Thanks.
  • Ashers92
    Ashers92 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    With regards to the failed payments of wages, where would she stand on this?

Being in teaching the payments are split across the 12 months to cover the holidays, but they wont be paying her the July or August wages. The last two weeks work she has done, will currently go unpaid.

Is this not a breach of contract?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills