Can we be compensated? Hurricane

Options
Hi, we are currently caught up in hurricane Matthew in Florida and as such have been confined to our hotel room because of a state curfew which is meaning we are missing around 3 days of our week long holiday. All the theme parks are closed as well because of the hurricane so the £600 we paid for them tickets have gone to waste.
We spoke to Thomas cook a few days back and told them we feel like it would be best if they could arrange for us to leave Florida before the hurricane came but they said there was nothing they could do because they didn't even know if it would hit even though the Florida governor had declared a state of emergency. Now we are confined to our hotel room and wasted half the holiday. I know a hurricane is not anyone's fault but this holiday took us a full year to afford and was supposed to be a holiday of a lifetime.
We have full holiday insurance but can we claim anything from either the holiday insurance or Thomas cook?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    only if you have specific travel insurance cover for hurricane from your insurer
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may also find that, depending when you are scheduled to return to the UK, your tickets aren't wasted. We got caught up in the 2005 (I think) hurricane. We had to batten down similar to you.

Our return flights were delayed by 5 days, because of the disruption so as the hurricane had passed, we were able to go out and about again and use our tickets.

Our insurers paid all of the additional hotel expenses. Hire car company didn't charge us anything for the additional 5 days. Airline managing our connecting flights back to where we live from the UK, were great. THey just put us all on the next available flights at no charge.
  • Startup1985
    Options
    Thanks that is great apart from the fact that we only budgeted enough money to last the original holiday term we don't have anywhere near enough to last extra days. The dream holiday that turned into a nightmare lol
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    isn't the curfew in Florida just for all day today and overnight? ie tomorrow there are flights coming into Florida airports again etc, and I believe (from the DIBB website) that the current curfew will end tomorrow morning?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    A hurricane isn't something you can claim compensation for, and most insurers don't cover 'acts of god'. It's a risk you take when you book to go away in the hurricane season. You know when you book it's a possibility. There are so many people been killed or injured, and homes and businesses destroyed that it seems rather heartless to ask about compensation for something that is no ones fault.

You might have rather returned home, but they'll many more people who wouldn't want to, and they can't just put a flight on for a handful of people who want to curtail their holiday. TCX operated their flights to MCO yesterday as normal and todays have been delayed until tomorrow. The curfew was only from 10pm last night and is in place until 7am tomorrow.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know a hurricane is not anyone's fault

I think your own comment probably answers your question regarding seeking compensation.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you checked your travel insurance document to see what it says about 'natural disasters' ?

As far as I can see, Thomas Cook have fulfilled the contract they have with you / they've got you to Florida, put you in the hotel and will fly you home again (even if unavoidably delayed).

To get compensation it's usually necessary to identify the 'guilty party' that caused the problem.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The whole situation in Florida at the mo just shows how important it is to have access to emergency money, a credit card is best or a debit card to use your UK bank account for extra food etc.
  • Mr_Wangers_Wang
    Options
    One of them things.

Go to a destination in Hurricane season, you can't really complain if there happens to be a hurricane.
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From what I've read so far the theme parks shut at 5ish yesterday eve and are closed today but re-open tomorrow morning so that's only one day. I believe it's now been downgraded in some areas of florida now so the curfew has been lifted. It's a major pain yes but it's better to be safe than sorry and can't be helped.
    Lea :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport