Dro questions

Hi I!!!8217;ve applied for a DRO. I!!!8217;ll try to keep my questions brief. I!!!8217;m utterly at my wits end and stressed out about it. I!!!8217;m mainly concerned about the 12 month period after and it seems very tight however having not coped emotionally over the debt the chance to be sorted is very tempting but here!!!8217;s some questions.

1. During the 12 month period is very long is your personal bank account monitored? What happens if I get money from my ex husband to pay for a new car, I!!!8217;m talking about one for 1000, my current car is not road worthy and my ex agreed to pay by instalments to pay for a new one. Do the insolvency agency or any other check the account?

2. My brother is asking to stay with me he has no where to live. He cannot stay with his wife, long story lol, wants to stay in counch. I!!!8217;d have to up my council tax payments as do not want to get in trouble with them either, however he is t in a position to pay half bills etc just the 25 extra towards ct, but nothing else, he!!!8217;s trying to keep payments on mortgage.

3. 12 months seems a long time, what do they check.

Please go gentle on me I really have suffered no one can tell you their nightmare story.

But thank you for helping

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    There are no routine checks during the moratorium. They could check anything they want to, but it doesn't happen.

You have to declare assets of over £1000 but if ex's payments are coming to you in small lumps that seems unlikely to be a problem. The car is subject to its own value limit - this is also £1000. But unless you are very good at car buying it is unlikely that your £1000 will buy one valued at £1000 on Parkers Guide.

Your brother is not part of your household for benefits (or DRO) purposes - he is just a lodger. His payments count as income but your council tax will rise with a second adult in the property. You will no doubt find that electricity, gas and (if on a meter) water expenses will increase. Only a problem if it takes your surplus income over £50 per month.
  • Thank you so much for your reassurance fatbelly. I!!!8217;ve read your replies over the years and I trust your knowledge, hat off to you for helping so many.

I will look into extras for my brother and ask him to contribute but should I declare this? They may say he has to pay half.
  • fatbelly
    Serifyn wrote: »

I will look into extras for my brother and ask him to contribute but should I declare this? They may say he has to pay half.

You're not a 'couple'. He pays what he pays. There's no set rate.
  • Ah ok many thanks for reassurance. !!!55357;!!!56832;
  • Serifyn
    Serifyn Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi was thrilled that my DRO went through today. However I am still concerned and have a few questions.

I have a step account with nat West. I have no debt with them, will this account be automatically closed? If it is I will struggle to buy food etc.

My ex husband is helping me to afford a car to take our son to college. He is still going to pay 350 into that account. Shall I tell him to pay my son direct? Can I have any money such as gifts from my mum passing through that account? I!!!8217;m not talking more than 100.
    Will the insolvency agency look at my account without my knowledge? How much am I allowed to keep in that account...

Panicking like hell, thanks for all the help given here.
  • fatbelly
    Hi was thrilled that my DRO went through today. However I am still concerned and have a few questions.

I have a step account with nat West. I have no debt with them, will this account be automatically closed? If it is I will struggle to buy food etc.

My ex husband is helping me to afford a car to take our son to college. He is still going to pay 350 into that account. Shall I tell him to pay my son direct? Can I have any money such as gifts from my mum passing through that account? I!!!8217;m not talking more than 100.
    Will the insolvency agency look at my account without my knowledge? How much am I allowed to keep in that account...

Panicking like hell, thanks for all the help given here.

Nat West is the one bank that might downgrade your account but no it should not be closed.

It's unlikely that anyone will examine your account. Even if they do, there's no problem with a cashflow through it. If your total assets (not including car but including savings) exceed £1000 you should inform the DRO team.
  • Serifyn
    So did they already check my account when the DRO went through as part of process? No there is never 1000 assets in there accept when wages go in. Do they check your account without your knowledge during the m period?
  • fatbelly
    So did they already check my account when the DRO went through as part of process? No there is never 1000 assets in there accept when wages go in. Do they check your account without your knowledge during the m period?

No, the routine checks are pretty elementary:

Have you declared anything that would disqualify you?
    Are you currently on the insolvency register?
    What is on your credit report?

If you breach the criteria during the moratorium, you are expected to tell them.
  • Serifyn
    Hi I only got the letter today saying it had been approved. I have no assets no savings. It!!!8217;s just my ex husbands wants to give a monthly sum of money towards a car.
    If they don!!!8217;t check accounts during the m period how do they know if you have received a sum of money? I know this question has panicked others on here who have received larger sums etc.
    Is it just they are not interested in the whys and where firs just it doesn!!!8217;t exceed 1000?
  • Serifyn
    I have disclosed everything. I think I may ask the ex to pay my son directly. I!!!8217;m not sure but then I don!!!8217;t want the ex knowing why.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure