PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House moving nightmare... Now trying to agree completion date!

Options

Comments

• sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    I think you are being unreasonable. You don't expect the seller to move out before he has found storage for his belongings surely? Why have you sold most of your furniture? How come you are losing money? Presumably you won't book time off work until you have a definite date?

I feel your frustration as our house went on the market in February and we still haven't moved but anything from 3-6 months is the norm and buying a chain free property doesn't always mean the process will go quicker.
  • Mdr
    Mdr Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in a rented property.
    We started to sell our stuff because our solicitor was happy with the way things were going in May and told us that it wouldn't be long, we've heard that every week since until recently since our solicitors have started to tell us that the vendors solicitors have taken weeks to get back with enquiries.

Even now we agreed a completion date for next week and my solicitor is still waiting this week to exchange with them. The vendors solicitors are really slow. We are at the end and they're just being ridiculous.

Time off work, I mean when we need to do anything for the house we have had the time off work, obviously I'm not going to book a week off work in hopes that we complete next week, I've arranged with my manager to provisionally book time off and she's agreed that ls okay if I need it last minute. But I mean if the seller is really stuck the seller should have the time off work and not delay us by weeks to sort out storage.

Storage, does someone really need 3 weeks to sort out storage? I don't think so, you can arrange and purchase storage the same day.

It's just excuse after excuse
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    That's just life I'm afraid. Welcome to the house buying process! Perhaps the seller can't just book time off work at short notice whenever he wants.
  • dlmcr
    dlmcr Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All I can say is welcome to the system of buying and selling property in England. Your gripe is not really with your vendor or their solicitor, it should be with the system that allows it to happen. Thousands of people are stuck in similar situations where things are moving slowly when they are buying and selling and it sucks unfortunately but there is little to do but play along with it. That said, in your situation, it is obvious your vendor is stalling for time. I would book viewings through the same agency as you are buying this one through, for other properties, then make noises about putting offers in. That fact will get through to vendor and will focus vendors mind to get a move on and it will be obvious based on what they do or don't do then what their intentions are. If they do nothing to speed things up then you know where you stand and it is time to pull out because it will become clear they are not ready to complete the sale any time soon.
  • LadyGMadameToThee
    Options
    You need to start putting your foot down with the seller. Sellers think they have the upper hand in the process but, in fact, they do not. We have twice made our seller drop his price & we have made him carry out 3k worth of work to the property otherwise we threatened to walk. He who pays the piper calls the tune! Put him to heel befor he ruins your life.
    :DLady G:eek::mad::rotfl:

Life is too short to be serious all of the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, call me - and I'll laugh at you!:money::money:
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    You need to start putting your foot down with the seller. Sellers think they have the upper hand in the process but, in fact, they do not. We have twice made our seller drop his price & we have made him carry out 3k worth of work to the property otherwise we threatened to walk. He who pays the piper calls the tune! Put him to heel befor he ruins your life.

Not really a blanket thing. It depends on the house,the market, how much the landlord really wants to sell,how much interest he's had.

For every owner who will bend over backwards to accommodate these things there are owners who will just say "meh go buy a different one then"
  • Mdr
    Options
    Was told by the seller that his solicitor had arranged to exchange with mine today. I sent my funds to my solicitor on Monday, she's been chasing all week for a date to exchange. Surprise surprise, the vendors solicitor has said he needs to finalise some figures before exchanging so now my solicitor is trying tomorrow.

I have sent my money across to my solicitor and I am scared. Honestly to anyone saying I'm unreasonable, try being told by your solicitor that you're ready to exchange since May because you've done everything quickly and efficiently and have to wait 2 months for vendors and their solicitors. It's heartbreaking.
    Maybe there is some hope and it'll be done tomorrow.
    We're supposed to complete on Monday!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mdr wrote: »
    We're supposed to complete on Monday!

How much notice does your lender require to release the funds?
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    How much notice does your lender require to release the funds?

Just what I was thinking.

Almost all lenders require 5 working days, but it may be the solicitor has already requested the funds in advance of exchange, but my experience is that they do not like doing this.
  • Mdr
    Options
    Omg I will have to call and find this out tomorrow. Would have been fine if all went to plan and we exchanged this Monday but vendors Solicitor has taken up the whole week faffing about!!! I'm literally going to pull my hair out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure