Credit card help needed URGENTLY

Options
Hi im new to the forum and have a serious problem with my card and any advice is greatly appreciated,

so 3 yrs ago i started a credit card with mbna and used it to finish repairs on my uk home so i could rent it and move to france to be with my partner, i have paid some of the card off but still owe £2700 and the interest free runs out in 7 days!

1month ago i had a conversation with mbna and they said i could extend the interest free for another year for %3,5, called them today and no can do GREAT.

i have a uk bank account and a rental income in the uk, does anyone know what my options are as i desperately need to extend my interest free period or transfer my balance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What card options are available to you in France?
  • Richie3000
    Options
    things are going a bit south over here and im not sure i will be staying anymore than the start of next year so i would like to keep it in the uk if possible, can i tell them i live in the uk? what kind of checks do they do?
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 October 2016 at 4:00PM
    Options
    If MBNA has said no, I don't think there's any point in barking up that tree. You need to look at options to transfer your balance.

Tons of offers going on 0% balance transfers (a few of them even no-fee) at the moment. Are you registered to vote in the UK at your home address i.e. do you have a permanent UK address that you can put on a card application?

Might be worth checking the eligibility calculator on the MSE cards page to see if your current UK bank (assuming it has your UK address) has any balance transfer offers that you could use and which you have a high chance of getting. Assuming you have online banking, the new CC should show up under your login in a day or two and you could initiate the BT without having to physically get the card/login details/etc. I've done exactly this (BT without having the card in hand) with my Nationwide account when I was on holiday in India.

Richie3000 wrote: »
    Hi im new to the forum and have a serious problem with my card and any advice is greatly appreciated,

so 3 yrs ago i started a credit card with mbna and used it to finish repairs on my uk home so i could rent it and move to france to be with my partner, i have paid some of the card off but still owe £2700 and the interest free runs out in 7 days!

1month ago i had a conversation with mbna and they said i could extend the interest free for another year for %3,5, called them today and no can do GREAT.

i have a uk bank account and a rental income in the uk, does anyone know what my options are as i desperately need to extend my interest free period or transfer my balance.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    it would depend on the lender. 7 days is cutting it too fine. With Virgin for example they wouldn't do the transfer till I physically had the card - which they will send only to the address on the application.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Richie3000
    Options
    i own a uk adress but im registered with gov uk as living abroad, i own a uk house tho if that makes any difference, i called my bank and they said they cant offer anything because they have on my file i dont live in uk, i think mbna think i still live in the uk.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Be careful of making a fraudulent app - it's one of a few scenarios in which they could demand immediate repayment.
  • Richie3000
    Options
    i earn a wage here i have a house with positive equity but i cant remortgage yet, is there no cc company or loan i can get from abroad?

thanks for the help im really panicking here.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not with an overseas address.

What is your APR? £2700 isn't a large balance. Are things really that desperate?
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could check the mse loans eligibility calculator using your UK address https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/loans-calculator/ to see if you *might* stand a chance of being offered any personal loans for the amount you need.
    Richie3000 wrote: »
    i earn a wage here i have a house with positive equity but i cant remortgage yet, is there no cc company or loan i can get from abroad?

thanks for the help im really panicking here.
  • Richie3000
    Options
    the rate is 20.9% annual rate

they have now offered me a 2000 pounds money transfer for 5% handling fee interest free for 1 year so that leaves me with £700 outstanding plus the 5% i have to pay,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure