IVA support and discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Standingtall
    Standingtall Posts: 576 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Scared Sick

Regarding your outlook for credit / mortgages, i am not sure how much difference there is between DMP or IVA as both seriously affect your credit rating. I have several defaults and AP markers and potentially my only way forward is my current changed address - but that is a very long and complex story (I have also remarried and changed my name). I will pay all my debts off within the next couple of years and do not want credit but would like a joint account with my husband and my name on the mortgage!!!!

The only reason a DMP was of any preference to me was that are of profession can be termed as 'financial services' and there was talk of IVAs becoming classed in the same bracket as bankruptcy thus my decision to stick with DMP.

Rightly or wrongly that was my personal choice.

Regards
    ST
    LBM August 2011. DFD somewhere post [STRIKE]2025[/STRIKE]2022 :eek:
    Total debts October 2011 circa GBP 17,700 September 2018 GBP 0 DMP with Payplan
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger:T:D:D:D
  • scared-sick
    scared-sick Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    I am so tired of all the toing and froing between deciding on a dmp or going for an iva.
    My head is truely battered.

I seem to make my mind up then think of something else and change it back again.

The way i am looking at it now is if i make a wrong choice and choose an iva it can have dire consequences.
    If i make the wrong choice and choose a dmp the worst thing to happen is i have wasted time that i could have used getting to the end of an iva.

I wish someone would tell me what to do but i am a single parent and have no one to talk things over with.

I have just made a list of pros and cons for both and the only pros for an iva were: paid off in 6 years max, all interest stops and debt free.

I had loads of pros for a dmp and only a few cons. The worst being if nothing changes i will be in a dmp for 26 years!

I know they can, but are creditors likely to take me to court or send bailiffs etc if i am in a dmp and have not missed payments? Are companies ok about waiting a long time for their money or do they get worse if its going to take too long?
  • UpToMyNeckInIt
    Options
    Scared Sick,

As stressful as it all is at the moment, it is very important that you take your time before making a decision which is very difficult to reverse. It took me 6-Months of research before I took the IVA plunge.

Better to do that than 'go for it' in a moment of panic, and then be one of the 35% who's IVA fails.

Nearly as sad however, are the forum posts which read 'I've been in a DMP for 5 Years, and now I am thinking of an IVA'. ...Hindsight is great, but it could have all been over by now.

However, you could do worse than opt for a DMP for now, as that at least gives you some breathing space, and an affordable repayment solution, in which you can further consider your other options.

But, those 3 'pro's' for an IVA that you mention are VERY significant.

Some here would say that the 'pro's' of a DMP include the informality & flexibility of the arrangement. Yes, that's great, but it works both ways: The informal nature of DMP's means that creditors can change their terms at will (ie: decide to no longer freeze interest, take further legal action etc). Realistically, it is highly unlikely that your creditors will agree to freeze interest over a 20+ Year term. Still, as it is an informal arrangement, you can alter payment terms to suit.

The downside (but also arguably an advantage) of IVA's is that they ARE legally binding on all parties. So yes, they lack the same flexibility as a DMP, but the huge advantage is that you are also protected from interest rate rises court action etc. as well. it is also concluded after 6 Years.

Advantage 4 of the IVA: Also bear in mind that your credit file recovers 6 Years after the START of an IVA, but not until 6-Years AFTER you final DMP repayment.

Fancy a knackered credit rating for the next 32 Years? Think about that: No chance of EVER remortgaging, getting any sort of car finance, no mobile phone contract, and being stuck with a 'dark ages' basic bank account. Not for me thanks - 6-years I can tolerate however.
  • scared-sick
    Options
    And then i flip back to thinking an iva is the best way forward again!!

My biggest fear staying on the dmp is in a few years time realising that i should have gone down the iva route.

My biggest fear with an iva is in 5 years time being worse off because of the equity release clause and also i keep reading 'horror' stories about peoples' iva payments being put up when they have had no income increase and the cost of living things have gone up.
    If the latter happens then i dont have a say in it do i? I just get told what to pay and the choice is pay it or fail the iva!

Hopefully a telephone meeting with my provider on monday might make things clearer!!
  • Custard_Pie
    Custard_Pie Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    And then i flip back to thinking an iva is the best way forward again!!

My biggest fear staying on the dmp is in a few years time realising that i should have gone down the iva route.

My biggest fear with an iva is in 5 years time being worse off because of the equity release clause and also i keep reading 'horror' stories about peoples' iva payments being put up when they have had no income increase and the cost of living things have gone up.
    If the latter happens then i dont have a say in it do i? I just get told what to pay and the choice is pay it or fail the iva!

Hopefully a telephone meeting with my provider on monday might make things clearer!!

Your IVA is a legally binding document, so make sure you read it with a fine tooth comb. Anything can be scary if you read into it to much. There are pros and cons with any approach.

Remember, that if you majorly defaulty on an IVA, then it reverts back to owing the debt and you can go down the bankruptcy route if needed. Either way, it finishes after 6 years and anything owed is written off. The IP take their fees from the pot of payments paid in.
    Search my post " PoPLA evidence - What to submit" on what is a good defense for a PoPLA appeal.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If an IVA is the best solution for your circumstances then there is no need to fear it. The rules are very clear, you negotiate a budget with the IVA company for your year's household and personal expenditure, and a reputable company will ensure the budget is reasonable - after all, they won't want you to struggle with the payments and end up with the IVA failing. Every year you renegotiate a new budget, and that is your opportunity to review your situation in the light of household expenses going up. Any unforeseen problem that can't be covered by your budget (eg washing machine blows up, car dies so you need a new car etc) you discuss the situation with your IVA company and something can usually be worked out. As long as you are open and honest with the company and make the agreed monthly payments, there should be no problem. As far as equity release in year 5 is concerned, we found that although we had equity to release, we were unable to get anyone to lend to us. On providing evidence of that, we agreed to extend the IVA for an additional year and are due to complete next summer. The equity release bit seems to scare some people, but who knows what the economic situation will be like in 5 years time?
    The IVA has definitely been the right decision for me and my OH - others may find a DMP better, others bankruptcy. The best advice anyone can get is to get the best advice. Look at all the options, and you will usually find one solution will stand out as the best. At the end of the day, the object is to get free of debt, paying back whatever is possible, and then start a new life - this time much wiser in the ways of handling money.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • scared-sick
    scared-sick Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Just thought i would let all you helpful people know that after MUCH consideration and weighing up all my options and considering as many (probably far too many) scenarios as i can, i finally decided to go for the IVA.

I have asked a million questions on here, (thank you for all your very helpful replies, you are worth your weight in gold)!
    I have made phone calls to the top to get answers and i just had another telephone appointment and asked another 100 questions!

I can only hope now that everything goes through smoothly.
    Keep your fingers crossed for me please x
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good luck, scaredsick, at least you have started your journey to debtfreedom!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • longtermplanner
    Options
    Well done - in the end you have to make a decision if delaying won't change anything or bring any more useful information. I hope your creditors approve your proposal and that it is plain sailing for the next 5/6 years.
  • UpToMyNeckInIt
    UpToMyNeckInIt Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 April 2014 at 5:10PM
    Options
    Just thought I would share a useful bit of information regarding the availability of Mobile Phone contracts for IVA customers.

Up until recently, those of us in IVA's are either 'trapped' with our existing contract providers, and those on PAYG wanting to go on contract were out of luck altogether.

There is a new network provider: 'shebang' (google it), who promise mobile phone contracts with 'No Credit Check', and option to upgrade to the latest handsets after 6-Months.

They seem legitimate, and share T-Mobile's infrastructure, so coverage should not be a problem.

Worth checking out if any IVA customers need a new mobile contract.

The only catch (there had to be one), but as you would perhaps expect, is that comparable contracts for 'normal' customers with a reasonable credit rating are slightly cheaper.

Anyway, it's an option that may just make IVA life a little easier for some of us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure