PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    February is going well challenge wise with a few spends here and there but mainly buying just what I need and I am slowly using up what I have in my freezer which is helping keep costs down.

I have been drawing up weekly meal plans which has been so helpful because it gives me something to refer to and means Im less likely to nip to the supermarket on the way home and buy food I dont need !
    Got a home delivery shop coming next week from Mr T and then a delivery of some organic fruit and veg the following day which will take up almost or at least half my budget but will leave me well stocked and so it should be possible this month to come in under budget if I stick to my plans. I am so pleased.
  • puss14
    puss14 Posts: 310 Forumite
    Options
    alisean221 wrote: »
    Please put me down for £300 for Feb

Just dont know how to update signature yet

Hi Alisean
    To update your signature go to User CP and in there click on edit signature and you will be right to go. Glad everything is going well for you:beer:
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If possible, I will need to go to town tomorrow,my children have asked for a corned beef hash for tea so need some potatoes and root veg,whatever is left will be made into a pie for tea on Saturday.
    No school again tomorrow for my 3 middlies,such excitement they have only managed Monday and Tuesday this week,hope this snow clears soon as they are eating a lot of things they wouldnt normally and its throwing my budget out.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Options
    Went to MrS tonight got the first shop for the month. Got plenty of meat spent £84.76 so need to go careful. Good luck everyone.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • S_Wales_Saver
    Options
    Snowing here this morning, so I went into work early and sent OH to shop :eek: He hit MrS, MrA and Aldi and managed to stick to my list. He even rang to ask if he should buy some of the really good value potatoes in Asda!!! OS must be contagious lol. So tonight we had veggie soup, salmon defrosting in the fridge for tomorrow and his meals for the weekend ready in the freezer. I'm off to update my sig and will check in with you all on Tuesday when I return from Scotland. Hope Wales win or I just might blow the budget on comfort eating :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Dor
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm rather disappointed so far this month have spent nearly £40 and I'm not quite sure on what. We were supposed to do a big shop and haven't yet, which means we've been buying things day to day, which always seems to be more expensive. I did buy a happy chicken today which will see us through the weekend though, with a roast, pasta salad and soup (and maybe an odd sandwich). I don't normally buy whole chickens, normally just get legs, as they are normally cheaper per lb than a whole chicken.

I did get a few good bargains though, a pack of taste the difference olive pitta bread for 15p (normally 79p), a loaf of taste the difference seedy bread also 15p (normally 78p) and a pack of large white pitta for 20p (normally 85p). This will give us a bit of variety for lunches over the weekend. I'm also going to sit down tomorrow morning and work out an online shop for the rest of the month and get it ordered to come on Tuesday.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • Different_Corner
    Options
    Well this is my first proper go at this and I have to say I'm learning a lot about my spending habits. In 5 days I've managed to spend £68.93 ! £40 of this was two quick dips into Morrisons.

However I've had two mega savings this week. DS1 came home from his PT job at the weekend with a huge roasted rump of beef, works in a very nice local eatery. So we had a second roast on Monday night. Added to that some leftovers at work from the canteen went into the dog for a futher two nights.

Made an awesome lasagne (kids words not mine !) on Tuesday night, was going to freeze the excess but they both said they'd rather have it again on Weds. Last night my basil and tomato pasta didn't taste right, so the dog has more leftovers tonight and tomorrow.

So if I've saved all this on leftovers etc, why have I spent so much ?
    Only got a menu plan done til Sunday, and Saturday night DS2 wants to experiment in the slow cooker so I'll have to go to the butchers for some shin.

I guess this being my first real effort I can afford to make the mistakes so I can get a true guide for March.
    DC.
    "Some people walk in the rain... others just get wet... " - Roger Miller
  • Kiwisaver_2
    Kiwisaver_2 Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    Options
    I made it through a whole week with no shops! Woohoo! :j Shame I had to go today and spent $153.02

Got loads of extra bits towards next weeks shop; Flora, frozen chicken breasts, biscuits, soft drinks, toiletries, Radox etc for my visitors arrival, so not doing too bad so far.

Probably won't know what's hit me until they get here and start eating me out of house and home.:eek: So trying to make sure I'm well loaded with 'ingedients' to make or bake, should things start getting tricky.
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    NSD for me yesterday but need to do a shopping list for tomorrow as im going to MrM's in the morning.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning all! This is turning out to be a really snowy day again -it just keeps falling. I am having two unexpected visitors coming this morning if they can get through to us. So I've quickly dug some soup out of the freezer and luckily I made a batch of Twinks Hobnobs yesterday, so hopefully I should manage to rustle up something of a warming snack for them. Can't really nip out at the moment for any provisions as getting out is difficult and I 'm not sure the village shop will have much in -still I think we'll be ok.

This hopefully will mean yet another NSD, so I'm hanging on to my little budget still -I did go a bit wild last week, but have been very glad of my stocks this week.

Keep safe and warm everyone and have a good dayicon7.gif
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure