PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Part buy question and problems

Options
Hi,

My wife has a part buy home bought through the Lift scheme in Scotland, she bought this before we met and got together and I moved in 2 years later.

It is a 2 bedroom flat and now we have 2 children and are looking to move and this is where the problem lies.

She owns 60% of the property and the company the other 40, she has £43000 left on the mortgage, the flat was valued at £90000 which would give us £11000 after selling, but there are hidden costs for the other company, we must pay there solicitors and admin fees give them there 40% and for some reason an additional 1% plus pay our own solicitors fees for selling and buying,

Which would leave us with £5000 but they have said they cannot help us buy another house, the council will not home us as we are 'making ourselves homeless' by selling, they will not allow any formal of swap.

We have even asked if we can remove a few walls at our own cost to create another room but they said we need solicitor letters and permits before they will make a decision if we are even allowed to.

The other problem is, as I have married someone who has had help it now means they won't help me despite me never owning a property or being on any mortgage.

I know it's a long story but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All the money seems to be coming from your wife's investment in the flat. What you need to do is to put your savings into this. Why should they help you when you should have savings of your own and not need to rely entirely on what your wife has saved?
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    Agree with Cakeguts - you'll need to use you own savings to be able to afford a bigger home - or make do with what you've got.

Your post comes across as a little whiny - you are fortunate in that you have a home and I see no reason why the Council are obligated to help you. You chose to have two children while living in a flat that's apparently unsuitable for your needs.
  • ssparks2003
    Options
    I know it's a long story but any advice would be appreciated.

Simple advice, though it may not be what you want to hear. In the good old days when people wanted to buy a house they scrimped and saved every penny they could, perhaps took a 2nd job, didn't go on holiday and after a while they would have saved some money which is called a deposit. then they would go to a mortgage adviser and see about getting a mortgage that would allow them to buy a home.
  • NineDeuce
    Options
    Get your solicitor to go over the T&Cs. Why should you have to pay the other party's legal fees.

Did you agree to that in writing?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    Get your solicitor to go over the T&Cs. Why should you have to pay the other party's legal fees.

Did you agree to that in writing?

That is a requirement of the LIFT scheme
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family