Depositing coins

Options
Hi,

I have sorted over 50 bags of coins and want to bank them. However my Nationwide branch has a limit of five bags a day. I am quite happy to open an account elsewhere just to bank them all in one go, so can anyone suggest which banks will take all the bags in one go and if this is a sensible way to go about it.

I'm not being lazy I just haven't got the time to go in 10 times just to deposit money on 10 different days!!

J

Comments

• stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have an account with HSBC, Barclays or NatWest they have coin deposit machines in larger branches you just throw it all in and the money will be created to your account.

However I'm not familiar the maxium limits for coinage over the counter.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • wwfc_2
    Options
    My local TSB where happy to take as many bags as I had as long as it wasn't over lunch time which was fair enough and very helpful

Halifax, Nationwide and Santander will only ever take 5 at a time from us
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    50 bags isn't a lot. They only need to weigh them. I think most banks would be Ok as long as you never went when they were mad busy.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Armorica
    Options
    Might be worth asking Nationwide if you can exceed the limit if you come it at a quiet time / a time they suggest?
  • Swampy3k
    Options
    are you sure the limit is only 5 bags a day maximum? when I was with Halifax the limit was 4 bag per day at the counter, however. if I used the Business desk they'd let me and others put in as much as I wanted and they'd weigh it for me.
  • parker1982
    Options
    I haven't taken money to a bank for years. Instead I use the self service checkouts in the local supermarket, I'll do a small shop and then dump handfuls of coins into the machine. For example, buy £5 of shopping, but I'll put around £10 worth of coins in, get a £5 note back. It depends on the supermarket though as I wanted to do the same at a different store and the machines there only let you use 1 coin at a time so couldn't do it.
  • anoncol
    anoncol Posts: 982 Forumite
    Options
    parker1982 wrote: »
    I haven't taken money to a bank for years. Instead I use the self service checkouts in the local supermarket, I'll do a small shop and then dump handfuls of coins into the machine. For example, buy £5 of shopping, but I'll put around £10 worth of coins in, get a £5 note back. It depends on the supermarket though as I wanted to do the same at a different store and the machines there only let you use 1 coin at a time so couldn't do it.

The only reason i NEVER do that is they take a % of your money!
  • sexyshark
    Options

i tried this at asda bought £4 worth of stuff put £10 worth of 20p's in and it gave me me change £6 worth of 20p's:mad:
    Sealed pot member 095 SPC No 7 £578.32
    sealed pot No 8 Target £750 TOTAL £1059.86:j
    sealed pot no 9 Target £1200 TOTAL £1073.38:cool:
    sealed pot no 10 Target £1200 TOTAL £1209
    sealed pot No 11 target £1250 total £TBC
  • joe_mcclaine
    Options
    It's almost as if Supermarkets are trying to make money with those coin changing machines.

Bonkers, eh?
  • SuperAllyB
    Options
    anoncol wrote: »
    The only reason i NEVER do that is they take a % of your money!

Only the CoinStar type machines take a %. Some supermarket self service checkouts have a similar set up where you can just dump a handful of change in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure