Credit score when moving house

Options
I have just started a new mortgage (first time buyer) and have now set up a TV licence direct debit and created an account for monthly direct debit for the current utility provider / water at the property. I now want to switch energy providers for a fixed rate deal as well as getting some furniture on finance (0% interest) for 18 months. However I am worried about all these checks on my credit score in a short amount of time although these are really necessities when moving house so will need to add these. Will these have a massive impact on my credit score? Where is best to get a report on my credit score? My partner and I have never had an issue with our credit score and each have a credit card we pay off in full each month to build credit score historically.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ignore the credit score. No one sees it and it's made up.

It's unavoidable to get a few searches when moving house. Nothing to be overly concerned about, and in a few months they will have minimal impact.

Do what you need to do.
  • user18
    user18 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I thought that was the case!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There 3 agencies you can get your report from, they all have at least an alternative thats free to get your report. Remember your report is what lenders can see.

If you get rejected for something be wary to not keep on applying as your report will be littered with searches.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    user18 wrote: »
    I have just started a new mortgage (first time buyer) and have now set up a TV licence direct debit and created an account for monthly direct debit for the current utility provider / water at the property. I now want to switch energy providers for a fixed rate deal as well as getting some furniture on finance (0% interest) for 18 months. However I am worried about all these checks on my credit score in a short amount of time although these are really necessities when moving house so will need to add these. Will these have a massive impact on my credit score? Where is best to get a report on my credit score? My partner and I have never had an issue with our credit score and each have a credit card we pay off in full each month to build credit score historically.

You can take steps to minimise hard searches, but in your case it may be too late if you've already actioned some of the points mentioned. So ...

TV licence isn't relevant for credit searches.

Don't inform the water company about pervious addresses and don't give them any personal information. They won't then know who to search.

Ditto the incumbent utility provider. Then move to EDF, who don't have a relationship with the credit bureaus, so no search there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure