Barclays default removal- compensation?

Options
Hi all,

Hope someone can help.
I've recently viewed my credit file on Call Credit and Experian.

They both feature a student account I had with Barclays which went into default in July 2008
when I couldn't pay back the £1,300 overdraft.

The amount got passed onto a debt collection agency (Debt Managers) in Dec 2008
and I paid them £80 a month until May 2009 where I paid the remaining outstanding amount (about £900).

My credit file says it defaulted in April 2008,
but doesn't show the account as closed and still shows that I owe £900.

I understand the default being placed, but don't understand why it still says I owe money when I paid it over 4 years ago!

Should it be marked as satisfied?

I've sent a copy of the letter of satisfaction from Debt Managers to Barclays Data Recovery team and am awaiting a response.

But in the meantime, am wondering:

How I can find out if Barclays or Debt Managers informed the CRAs that I paid the full amount in 2009?

If they didn't, would I be able to receive compensation for the wrong balance being shown on my credit file for so long or at least would they be able to remove the default completely for the damage caused?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    They won't remove the default as it's factually correct.
    Can't see that any compensation is due.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    No - the only relevant point is did you give permission for your data to be disclosed? If you did, what happens after that is not your concern. If there is an error, you ask for it to be corrected, but in the scale of things, only the default will be of interest - whether owing or satisfied.
  • LadyLondon
    LadyLondon Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I understand and accept the default is correct, I just dispute how the balance has been showing as £900 still owed when I paid it off over 4 years ago. It makes them look like I still owe money. I've asked for it to be corrected through Call Credit and Barclays didn't budge.
    Why isn't it marked as satisfied? I had another default from O2 for a while (for £13) but it got changed to satisfied when I paid it.
    I don't know about the data disclosure part...
  • _Andy_
    Options
    OK so you raise a complaint with them and ask them to amend to satisfied.
    Still fail to see how compensation is due, aside from perhaps a token payment for your time etc
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Unless you can demonstrate that the incorrect outstanding balance/satisfaction has caused you some material loss/put you out of pocket, then at most you might get a small token sum for inconvenience etc.

I would concentrate on getting the info correct as the priority, and if they should offer you a small sum as a gesture of goodwill then that is a bonus.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • LadyLondon
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :) I'm ideally hoping they can remove the default completely as a "gesture of goodwill" for the wrong info being displayed and the hassle it's caused trying to change it to satisfied, but I'll see what they say (if they reply).
  • _Andy_
    Options
    They won't remove it.
  • You-kip
    You-kip Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    LadyLondon wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies :) I'm ideally hoping they can remove the default completely as a "gesture of goodwill" for the wrong info being displayed and the hassle it's caused trying to change it to satisfied, but I'll see what they say (if they reply).

There's some sort of laws that CRAs must abide by when it comes to issuing Defaults and its the same for removing them so your chances of a correct default being attached to your credit files and you asking for a goodwill gesture to have it removed is wasting your time as it won't happen however long you harp on about it.
  • LadyLondon
    Options
    I can still try though. O2 removed one when I asked and it has 4 years left to fall off. Barclays didn't bother to update my file when I paid them back yet rushed to tell the CRAs when I'd got a default. Removing it 8 mths before it falls off is the least they can do as far as I'm concerned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure