Redundant today - do I still need to 'work' for the company?

Hopefully an easy one this..

I was made redundant today after 5 years in IT support.

I was sent home with the option of returning 'if' I wanted to attend consultation meetings/ CV workshops.

If I am contacted by staff for IT support via my mobile (as I have always used my own... I know!) do I have to assist? Or should I refer them to my line manager?

My moral compass says assist, my stomach says refer them..

TIA.
'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Exemplar wrote: »
    Hopefully an easy one this..

I was made redundant today after 5 years in IT support.

I was sent home with the option of returning 'if' I wanted to attend consultation meetings/ CV workshops.

If I am contacted by staff for IT support via my mobile (as I have always used my own... I know!) do I have to assist? Or should I refer them to my line manager?

My moral compass says assist, my stomach says refer them..

TIA.

What do you mean made redundant? Typically that's after consultation happens?

I'd ask your manager what the expectation is
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Did they terminate the contract?

If not you are still employed on that contract untill they do terminate it.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You've been there 5 years, been told you're redundant and sent home with no consultation?

Sounds a bit dodge.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Are you sure you were made redundant or told you are at risk of redundancy?
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Update...

So - apologies I was very confused.

I spoke to HR today and received a letter from them.

It appears that I am being made redundant but have only had 1 consultation meeting and an interview for my own position where I did not meet the criteria set/ person specification (job title has changed from Internal IT to On-Site IT Engineer.

All of this I get and understand.

The reason for me going home was that, as part of IT, I have access to portals/ platforms that can potentially damage the company (e.g. Mimecast - I could delete all polices. O365/ Azure/Intune etc etc) so I was sent hoke as I was seen as a security risk, but this was not explained.

So I'm meeting with HR tomorrow off site and will be asking when I am being made redundant.

Hopefully that's all I need to do?

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Exemplar wrote: »
    Update...

So - apologies I was very confused.

I spoke to HR today and received a letter from them.

It appears that I am being made redundant but have only had 1 consultation meeting and an interview for my own position where I did not meet the criteria set/ person specification (job title has changed from Internal IT to On-Site IT Engineer.

All of this I get and understand.

The reason for me going home was that, as part of IT, I have access to portals/ platforms that can potentially damage the company (e.g. Mimecast - I could delete all polices. O365/ Azure/Intune etc etc) so I was sent hoke as I was seen as a security risk, but this was not explained.

So I'm meeting with HR tomorrow off site and will be asking when I am being made redundant.

Hopefully that's all I need to do?
    Just ensure you are getting full pay until a decision is made (don't rush it!)
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 November 2017 at 9:22PM
    So in effect it sounds like you are 'at risk' of redundancy and have been through the initial selection process. But as a result they have put you on 'garden leave' - as they see you as a risk/threat due to your IT access for the business. This should be on full pay so do not rush as Comms69 suggested. :p

I would ask HR tomorrow their expectations, outright ask the timescales and are they putting you on garden leave with full pay? To clarify the intention.

If I was you, wait to hear from HR tomorrow the timescales on things i.e. are they talking weeks, 1 month or what? I imagine as they have put you on garden leave, they probably want to push things along as quickly as possible...

Start redoing your CV and applying for new jobs. Unless you want some time away from employment.

Don't forget re: your pay that you should be receiving full pay during the consultation process. Once redundancy has been confirmed and a date, you should receive your basic pay, payment in lieu of notice (your notice period i.e. 1 month or 5 weeks etc) and your actual redundancy pay for your service.
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    OK - latest update.

Yes I am on full pay during consultation.

There are 3 internal jobs that I have the skills for and am applying for.

1 is permanent
    2 are 3 month secondments

So the interviews are next week, the last being Thursday PM.

If successful for the permanent role I will re-start the following Monday. If the secondments I will also start that same day.

With any of the roles I am free to try them for 4 weeks and the employer can cease if needed and the same for me.

What I do find interesting is that I am 49 years old, 50 at the very tail end of January 2018, in addition I will have been in 5 years continuous employment on Jan 14th 2018...

SO.... If I can 'potentially' spin it out past one of those dates I will get more money (especially as I'm taking the Kings coin all the time!).

Thanks so much for all of the input so far through a very upsetting time.

• Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    How close is the job spec of your current job and the new job they're replacing yours with?

Surely they're on shaky ground making you redundant if they could have offered you training to bring you up to spec for the new role? (if you'd have agreed?).
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The 2-3 month secondment positions - are they still offering you redundancy at the end of it?

Just checking they are not trying to con you into signing a fixed term contract, then at the end of it telling you the term is up... i.e. no redundancy pay
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure