Warrant out for my arrest for Amigos loan.

Options
Hey, I'm not a newbie. I was on this amazing forum a whole ago, however I've lost my details - so here we are, re-starting again & I hope to get some good non-judgmental advice, like I used to get before.

Anyway, as the title says I've been informed that there is a "warrant out for my arrest due to non-payment of an amigos loans".

Debt now; £5467 (gone up by £1467)
SOA: will post on thread later on today, at a more reasonable time.

The background is; I was young and stupid excuse. Me and my ex both got a loan 3 years ago from amigos loans totalling up to £5,000 which was £198 PCM. We have a two year old Daughter. We split up September 2013 after four years and it was a bad split due to DV, I'm still under a marac (marac is high risk individuals of being murdered/serious harm placed by SS). However, he was a good dad to our daughter when he was around.

When we split, he did help me out financially, as although our history wasn't great - and he was abusive I tried being civil for our daughters sake due to the fact that he adored our little girl, just seemed to lose his rag with me at times. That lasted until November 2013 then everything stopped. My finances was stretched as I provided everything solely for my little girl including taking on all the bills, mortgage, general lifestyle on my own - without a penny towards from him.

He met his new partner October 2013, it later came to light. And it's a classic story she slowly became controlling (he has admitted it to his mum last time she spoke to him, as she was concerned) to cut the story short, she now has control of his Facebook, I can't have his new number, and in time, his access went from per week: 2 days, 1 days, 7 hours, 3 hours to zilch..... He has stopped seeing our daughter all together. his mum informed me that he has thousands in the bank & giving it to her, spending extremely large amounts of Money on her -'possibly to impress her... But I have no way of contacting my ex.. She's put a stop to his mum contacting him, she hasn't seen him or heard of him for 4 months due to the fact that we get on well (had our moments) and she sees her granddaughter. So it's kinda messed up... She lives 20 minutes away from me and he is based down south (in the army)

My ex is in a secure job, army, earns just short of £2000 PCM, after bills it's £1400 with majority of it going on shopping sprees and his partner. He is normally
Left overdrawn since November, according to his mother and himself (when he did see our daughter I had to pay for his food/petrol etc)
However, CSA will be called first thing tomorrow morning.

I work part time (24 hours) = 2 12 hour night shifts in a care home, I also study nursing and on top of that do placement ranging from 37.5 hours a week on average. So nearly a 60 hour week... I'm exhausted mentally and physically - there is no way I can get an additional job.

I have to go see law enforcement officer Wednesday to sort out this amigos loan - which has my ex name on as well. I got a letter stating that warrant is issued for my arrest re:amigos loans

when I phoned him he stated that he can put a stop to that now but if you don't come Wednesday I WILL re-in force that order. If you don't co-operate and bring a statement of affairs, I can re-in force that order. I asked him can I really go to prison over a loan, he said yes... And they're coming down hard on people who don't pay. Who I asked... The judges at the court he said.

So, never been in this situation before?! What the hell do I do? Step change can't help, CAB office is closed down, I can't get in touch with my ex... My career can be affected if this is true.. I'm just a single mum busting her gut to get by... If it's true, my daughter will have to go into care?! My heads spinning, can't sleep.. Can't eat... I feel emotionally, physically, mentally exhausted.

Can anyone, please, help?

Comments

• bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't imagine why you'd be arrested for this.

Who was this person and what did the letter say exactly, and from who?
  • Scarlettsmumx
    Options
    I had a letter today from the law enforcement officer, stating this with Her majesty county court logo on the top. He also stated twice on the phone which worried me :-(
  • Scarlettsmumx
    Options
    Letter states 'fail to do as ordered a warrant for your committal to prison will be issued' sorry, brain fizzled ... X
  • Whiner
    Whiner Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Law enforcement officer?

So the Police, then?
  • Whiner
    Whiner Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    By the way you cannot go to prison for non repayment of a debt, it is a civil matter, meaning it will not be dealt with by a criminal court, and thus you cannot go to prison.
  • thewhiteavenger
    Options
    My guess is that Amigos have got a county court judgement against you and either (1) are asking for an order to obtain information:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/debt_w/debt_action_your_creditor_can_take_e/how_a_creditor_can_get_information_about_your_finances.htm

or (2) are trying to get an attachment to your earnings:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/debt_w/debt_action_your_creditor_can_take_e/creditor_takes_money_from_your_wages.htm

Either way, you should comply with what the court is asking you to do, and take advice from someone who can look at your debt situation as a whole (stepchange are available from 8 a.m, national debtline are available from 9 a.m.).

If you're in Scotland, you need to say as the law is different.

Certainly post a statement of affairs later and we'll have a look at it.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey, I'm not a newbie. I was on this amazing forum a whole ago, however I've lost my details - so here we are, re-starting again & I hope to get some good non-judgmental advice, like I used to get before.

Anyway, as the title says I've been informed that there is a "warrant out for my arrest due to non-payment of an amigos loans".

Debt now; £5467 (gone up by £1467)
    SOA: will post on thread later on today, at a more reasonable time.

The background is; I was young and stupid excuse. Me and my ex both got a loan 3 years ago from amigos loans totalling up to £5,000 which was £198 PCM. We have a two year old Daughter. We split up September 2013 after four years and it was a bad split due to DV, I'm still under a marac (marac is high risk individuals of being murdered/serious harm placed by SS). However, he was a good dad to our daughter when he was around.

When we split, he did help me out financially, as although our history wasn't great - and he was abusive I tried being civil for our daughters sake due to the fact that he adored our little girl, just seemed to lose his rag with me at times. That lasted until November 2013 then everything stopped. My finances was stretched as I provided everything solely for my little girl including taking on all the bills, mortgage, general lifestyle on my own - without a penny towards from him.

He met his new partner October 2013, it later came to light. And it's a classic story she slowly became controlling (he has admitted it to his mum last time she spoke to him, as she was concerned) to cut the story short, she now has control of his Facebook, I can't have his new number, and in time, his access went from per week: 2 days, 1 days, 7 hours, 3 hours to zilch..... He has stopped seeing our daughter all together. his mum informed me that he has thousands in the bank & giving it to her, spending extremely large amounts of Money on her -'possibly to impress her... But I have no way of contacting my ex.. She's put a stop to his mum contacting him, she hasn't seen him or heard of him for 4 months due to the fact that we get on well (had our moments) and she sees her granddaughter. So it's kinda messed up... She lives 20 minutes away from me and he is based down south (in the army)

My ex is in a secure job, army, earns just short of £2000 PCM, after bills it's £1400 with majority of it going on shopping sprees and his partner. He is normally
    Left overdrawn since November, according to his mother and himself (when he did see our daughter I had to pay for his food/petrol etc)
    However, CSA will be called first thing tomorrow morning.

I work part time (24 hours) = 2 12 hour night shifts in a care home, I also study nursing and on top of that do placement ranging from 37.5 hours a week on average. So nearly a 60 hour week... I'm exhausted mentally and physically - there is no way I can get an additional job.

I have to go see law enforcement officer Wednesday to sort out this amigos loan - which has my ex name on as well. I got a letter stating that warrant is issued for my arrest re:amigos loans

when I phoned him he stated that he can put a stop to that now but if you don't come Wednesday I WILL re-in force that order. If you don't co-operate and bring a statement of affairs, I can re-in force that order. I asked him can I really go to prison over a loan, he said yes... And they're coming down hard on people who don't pay. Who I asked... The judges at the court he said.

So, never been in this situation before?! What the hell do I do? Step change can't help, CAB office is closed down, I can't get in touch with my ex... My career can be affected if this is true.. I'm just a single mum busting her gut to get by... If it's true, my daughter will have to go into care?! My heads spinning, can't sleep.. Can't eat... I feel emotionally, physically, mentally exhausted.

Can anyone, please, help?

Ask these people whether they are also pursuing your ex.

You may not be able to contact your ex directly but you know where he works and he still has responsibility for his daughter and you should be able to obtain money from him for her. That is a separate issue which you should take up.

They can't send you to prison for non-payment of a loan. We don't live in Dickensian England. Be wary of what this loan repayment person tells you. Take someone you trust with you if you can.
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whiteavenger is correct (post #7).

This is the only way I know that you could go to prison for a civil matter; refuse to cooperate with an order for information from the court. Usually I&E information and usually given in person.

You must cooperate with the court (bailiffs?) on this.
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 June 2014 at 9:06AM
    Options
    Sorry but where are you supposed to be going to see this "law enforcement officer"? have you looked for the phone number of the court independently (not on the letter) & called them to see if this is kosher?

Its not a high court enforcement officer?
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Anaheim
    Anaheim Posts: 42 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You poor thing, this is an awful situation and you must be frantic with worry. I couldnt just read this and move on, but I cant really offer any advice
    We've all been young and stupid so don't let that bother you
    If his name is on the loan as well is he being pursued? That doesn't make sense
    So are you being asked to go and see the 'law enforcement officer'? Where do you have to go to? I can only imagine that this is a court enforcement officer, do they have a court order against you and your ex? If it is a court enforcement officer they have strict guidelines they have to follow.
    As pervious posters have said you cannot be arrested for a civil matter, unless (I think) it's a court debt
    Have you managed to speak to CAB at all, I hope so, and I hope that they can help you out of this horrible situation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure