New career in 40's

Options
batg
batg Posts: 295 Forumite
Spent many years at home with children who
Should I start looking now, am I too old and past it?
I am 44

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    Definitely not too old.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You mentioned IT; there's lots of demand for people of all ages with skills in office documents, and the world's you oyster if you're good with spreadsheets and databases.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    You mentioned IT; there's lots of demand for people of all ages with skills in office documents, and the world's you oyster if you're good with spreadsheets and databases.

Level 2 ECDL is pretty basic and not going to make the OP stand out from thousands of other candidates, nor is being good with spreadsheets.

batg, what would you like to do? You're never too old to start again, but you need to be realistic in your ambitions. I'd focus more on getting experience than doing Level 2 qualifications, you may be able to get some voluntary work or possibly working in a call centre. Develop your skills (in practice, not just in theory) and you'll find more opportunities opening up to you.
  • batg
    batg Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    @Bogalot
    Call centre work holds no appeal for me.
    I want to get some work experience, and have applied at at least 20 places, no luck whatsoever, even when I mentioned transferable skills and maturity.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    No point doing level 2 unless you are already in the job and doing the lv2 as a stepping stone to a course people care about.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    What work did you do before having your children and what general qualifications do you have?
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    batg wrote: »
    @Bogalot
    I want to get some work experience, and have applied at at least 20 places, no luck whatsoever, even when I mentioned transferable skills and maturity.

You may have to do roles with little appeal to get where you want to be, most have had to. Your transferable skills are more suited to call centres than to office based roles, and the call centre environment can often enable you to build up the admin experience you are lacking.

I also wouldn't write off all call centres as being the same. Some are target driven and pretty unpleasant, some are more customer service based and can be good fun. I picked up some temp work in one and ended up staying for three years, over time progressing to a non phone based role. I wouldn't have had that opportunity if I'd not taken the chance.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Level 2 ECDL is pretty basic and not going to make the OP stand out from thousands of other candidates, nor is being good with spreadsheets.

batg, what would you like to do? You're never too old to start again, but you need to be realistic in your ambitions. I'd focus more on getting experience than doing Level 2 qualifications, you may be able to get some voluntary work or possibly working in a call centre. Develop your skills (in practice, not just in theory) and you'll find more opportunities opening up to you.

I was meaning that it's worth continuing into level 3 courses and further, as level 2 quals are, as you say, a bit basic.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    batg wrote: »
    @Bogalot

I think not many actual hard core office's exist now, it's all labelled 'Customer Experience/Business Support' where possible.

You may be better scanning for 'Secretarial'.? Or Receptionist.
    I think factories may have offices but I'm not sure other then that.

So some what of the reverse may be true, someone I know believed they were going for your classic hardened 'Contact Centre /Customer Service Agent' ended up in Accounts Payable, 9-5 which actually really could be considered a paperless mini call centre with the same war boards and monitoring associated with call centre's, live chat taking over email sending even so they do have to be reasonably quick co-ordinating on a computer with targets to meet. There are no paper files or letter writing. Years ago it may have been an office but we're in very different times now.
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think "too old" is relevant - you're ~25 years from retirement (and won't yet have your full State pension entitlement) and most benefits that make low-paid part time work worthwhile are contingent on having a dependent child. You don't need me to tell you that unless you have somebody willing to support you you're going to have to find something proper before too long.

You have something that an eighteen-year-old doesn't have, and that's contacts. Ask around family, friends and acquaintances. Where do they work, and what skills does it need? Can they get you anything, or do they know anybody who might be able to? Stick something on Facebook! You might get some new ideas that you hadn't thought about. If people can even just tell you what skills you need to develop (which you could then be working on while you are waiting), that would be useful.

Most places have some sort of an office/back room, so don't restrict yourself to the usual round of insurance firms and accountants. Are you set on literally an office, or do you just mean "not manual or shop floor work"? Warehouses and supermarkets and suchlike all have admin functions, and many blue-collar businesses have a reception desk and/or someone to answer the phone.

Larger offices will need you to be useful from Day One i.e. they'll want previous specific experience with e.g. billing systems, reports, Powerpoint, diary management etc, and may not value the generic "raising kids has made me a great organiser and problem-solver!" stuff. You might do better in a smaller place where you can get away with a lower level of skill in a wider number of tasks, and then build on that.

Jobs for life are long gone so don't get hung up on making your first job your ideal one. So what if it's a taxi firm or a garage? Get yourself in there - and applications really are a percentage game, so don't get disheartened if you don't get snapped up right away - and learn as much as you can. Expect to stay there for 2-3 years, making contacts and building up a good reputation so you get a great reference, and then move on when you see something more suitable.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport