Acrylic or Steel bath?

justaquestion
justaquestion Posts: 737 Forumite
Our old Acrylic bath cracked last night when our wee lad was using it was sliding up and down and a large crack across the width of the bath appeared. I had noticed for years that bath was very flexible at bottom and did wonder how long it would last as its 25 years old.

So now I have to decide whether to get an acrylic or steel bath, I am under the impression that the steel baths are stronger but that the enamel can chip easily enough especially with a child with learning difficulties but who is getting stronger and very active.

Are the acrylic baths nowadays of a higher stronger quality than years ago?

Advice as to why is the best option for me would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Steel, and Kaldewei have a good reputation.

A good quality steel bath should be very resistant to enamel being damaged except by being hit with something hard, but if it is damaged it can often be touched up - or the entire bath can be sanded and re-enamelled.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Our steel bath has had various items dropped into it (when empty) including quite a heavy mug and it has no chips.

As has been said, the now mainly white baths can be repaired , though you could, when colours were popular, find companies that would re-enamel a coloured bath completely.

If something heavy hits an acrylic bath, it is likely to be irreparably scratched or even cracked/split.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Modern acrylic baths can be weaker than acrylic baths of old or stronger. We replaced our old acrylic bath with a Carronite bath and it is much stronger that the one it replaced. The plumber than fitted it was very impressed.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I went with carronite when i upgraded the bathroom at my old flat and it had no flex at all but I have just got the stock acrylic bath at my new flat which has more flex
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    When I refurbished a bathroom 8 years ago, I bought a Bette steel bath. It's a quality brand. The enamel got scratched very easily from the base of the folding shower screen. The base of the bath also got damaged from using a harsh cleaner. Being steel, the bath took a lot of heat from the hot water. And it was a b*gger to get upstairs because of the weight.

I would go for acrylic next time.
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    Not too sure what our bath is made of, other than it is "plastic", no give at all when you step in it and is (according to the salesman anyhow !), insulated. Water certainly stays warm in it longer.

Was sceptical about a plastic bath, but the salesman (again !) obviously had confidence in his product, as he stood in his showroom bath and jumped. Quite impressive as he is well north of the 20 stone mark - he was moaning about the short lifespan of adjustable office chairs whilst doing the bathroom design with us, as he kills one every 3 months or so.
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    When we replaced our bath, there were ar least two grades to choose from. We paid extra for the thicker grade and have never had a problem with it in about 30 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure