PBA Natwest

Options
Advice needed please.

I wish to reclaim PBA as I have been paying this for years and have never needed any of the services I get with this platinum account.
However I did register my phone and cancelled my existing mobile phone insurance as I thought at the time I may as well use one of the 'priveliges', about 2 years ago I did claim on this when my phone was damaged.

Does this affect my case ?

I am more than happy to have a free current account and get separate phone insurance, nothing else I get with the platinum account is of any use to me.

Thanks + Regards
David

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    If you claimed on the package you were paying for, why would you expect a refund on the package you were paying for?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even if you hadn’t claimed, you registering your phone and cancelling your separate insurance are both steps of you knowing you had the benefits and using them (I.e the insurance cover). Presumably you still have your phone registered, so you are also receiving the benefits of this cover even if you haven’t made a claim recently.

By claiming a policy was mid-sold you are saying that you should never have had it as you weren’t eligible or weren’t aware. You were aware because you used the benefits, and you were eligible because you made a successful claim. As such you are not entitled to money back because there are no real grounds for mis-sale from what we can see.

You are obviously able to cancel and go back to a free account. You just won’t get any money back.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • magnum777
    Options
    Thanks for the reply guys and kind of agree that this will be thrown back at me which is why i'm asking for others opinions.
    I have never said that I was unaware of the additional benefits to the account package, I just never wanted them but just let it go as I was not aware of other options.
    I only used the phone insurance is it was there and thought I may as well put it to some use.
    This does not mean I wasn't mis-sold surely.
    A lot of people may have been aware of ppi but continued to pay it as they simply thought there was no other choice until it was brought to their attention.

I think I kind of have a point?

Regards
    David
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    magnum777 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply guys and kind of agree that this will be thrown back at me which is why i'm asking for others opinions.
    I have never said that I was unaware of the additional benefits to the account package, I just never wanted them but just let it go as I was not aware of other options.
    I only used the phone insurance is it was there and thought I may as well put it to some use.
    This does not mean I wasn't mis-sold surely.
    A lot of people may have been aware of ppi but continued to pay it as they simply thought there was no other choice until it was brought to their attention.

I think I kind of have a point?

Can't see what it is!!

You bought a packaged account. You knew you had. You used it (i.e used the package, in your case the phone insurance part of it).

There's only a case for redress if you either weren't aware and/or didn't use it.
  • magnum777
    Options
    my point is I do not recall 'buying' it as you say, just not being given an alternative option at the time of opening the account

isn't this being mis-sold something?

we are talking nearly 30 years ago but if I was given a choice of a basic free account with no bells and whistles or one I pay for with a bunch of benefits I won't use....I would have taken the free account
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    my point is I do not recall 'buying' it as you say, just not being given an alternative option at the time of opening the account

we are talking nearly 30 years ago but if I was given a choice of a basic free account with no bells and whistles or one I pay for with a bunch of benefits I won't use....I would have taken the free account

If you made use of it you can't claim you were mis-sold it.

Mis-sold is something you don't need and don't use. You may or may not have needed it when you started with it - but you definitely used it, even claimed on it whilst you had it.

If you really believe you have a case then try it - but I think you'll have it thrown back fairly quickly. And, in the unlikely case that they did uphold it, I would think they'd be asking for you to repay that damaged mobile claim from 2 years ago.

The package is, in effect, an insurance premium, and you used that insurance and claimed on it. If you do that with any other insurance you wouldn't expect to get your premiums back would you?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I've got some beans I can sell you, they are very special.
  • magnum777
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    I've got some beans I can sell you, they are very special.

only if there is some kind of package involved, i'll not need health insurance so you can include that
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Technically, someone who has used the services on the packaged bank account can still complain. And sometimes the banks will uphold the complaint. Where they do, the bank will deduct the market cost of the services provided and used from the redress. More often than not, these are more expensive than the cost of the bank account and its an upheld complaint with no money paid out.

One of the measures used with PBA complaints is whether the things in the package were suitable for the person (doesnt have to be all of them. Just most of them). Another is whether the person actually registered any bits of the package (this counters the allegations made when someone says they didnt know they had it).

in this case, we have two events that show the account was known to be a PBA (registering and then claiming on the phone insurance). So, that avenue of complaint is doomed for failure.
    we are talking nearly 30 years ago

No we are not. PBAs were not available 30 years ago. If you have banked with them for 30 years, then chances are you were on a "free" account at the start and moved to a PBA later. Also, PBAs have changed a lot over the years. People tend to get moved from one PBA to another. If that happened to you, then the bank can timebar you as it shows you knew other accounts were available and you have to raise a complaint within 3 years of that change of account.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 September 2017 at 12:31PM
    Options
    For a while now since this packaged account miss-selling.

The bank send periodic letters saying is the account still right for you etc.

Then your given the opportunity to contact them and discuss your options.

When was the account opened and how was it opened?
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family