Options
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »

Yes, yes, yes!!

Love that tune. Some very sound advice.

Shame he doesn't speak of how to get out of debt.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well tomorrow is our last day in Spain. We fly home Tuesday morning. We have had a fantastic time, the weather has been perfect and me and my boys have spent some quality time together.

Luckily our hotel has quite decent wi fi so I've been able to keep track of my finances. I got paid whilst we were away so I've used YNAB to budget for August.

I did end up spending £80 on my credit card as we went into Barcelona and I didn't want to dip into my euros. We couldn't have come all this way and not done a tour of the city.

On the positives, I was only £70 overdrawn in July (thanks to YNAB & a total change in my head) and I've paid into my emergency fund and savings and paid £160 towards my credit card. I've over budgeted quite a bit during August so I may have more to put towards my CC - now that would be a first!

I'm hoping I won't be overdrawn at all this month. I'm looking forward to continuing this budgeting as the months go by. I'm a definite YNAB convert now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    welcome back (nearly) glad you have had a great holiday and well done for doing so well with your spending.
    Ramble x
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Louby, glad you enjoyed the holiday and even more happy you're getting to grips with YNAB. It takes a bit of getting used to but already you're seeing the benefits which I'm really happy to hear.

I've found that as I get better with YNAB I'm able to save more, so I've every confidence that you won't dip into the overdraft this month and you'll put a bit extra toward the CC.

Keep up the good work.
  • louby40
    Options
    Hi all

We're back and the washer has been in use. Need to sort my house out a bit and go into school on Friday as I've swapped classrooms so need to sort it all out.

We've got a London trip planned in 2 weeks,me and my OH are taking our 2 youngest. Hotel and theatre are paid for, we just need to pay for 2 evening meals. I've budgeted £100 for me and my son so hoping that will be enough. There is a bit of room for maneuver with the money...as YNAB says "roll with the punches"
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you had a great time Louby, back to school already, bet you wish for the illusion that some people have that teachers have shed loads of holidays to sit back and relax.:rotfl:
  • louby40
    Options
    Oh yes Tori - it is an illusion!

I'll probably have to go into school for at least 3/4 days and spent 2/3 days planning too before I go back on the 5th September
  • louby40
    Options
    Spent the morning in my classroom, made a sight dent in it but will need to go in tomorrow and Monday.

Trying to aim for 10 NSD in August - only achieved one so far and that was on Monday whilst I was still in Spain. Aiming for a NSD tomorrow.

Still getting to grips with YNAB and this morning woke up realising that I hadn't paid my CC, it had been ticked off via YNAB but I hadn't actually completed the transaction! Oooops!

Still a learning process
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    easily done!!
    Can you set up a SO for a basic amount so you never miss, and then do a top up of anything extra manually?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure