Am I not eligible for Universal Credit until after my last wage payment?

Options
I have been made redundant and my last day of work was Friday. I am due to get my last wages, including outstanding holiday (and hopefully my statutory redundancy pay) on the 28th of this month.
Because of the above I answered Yes to the question “Are you expecting take-home pay of £338 or more in the next month?” and was told “You cannot claim Universal Credit”
Does this mean I am not entitled to anything for the period between now and 7 days (the “waiting period”) after I get my last pay packet?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Your assumption seems reasonable. You will be paid up to the 28th so why would there be any entitlement to UC before that date? The 7 day waiting period will also apply. You won't normally get your first UC payment until between 4 and 6 weeks after making the claim.
  • Johanno
    Johanno Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I won't be paid up until the 28th, i will be paid up until the 16th. I just won't receive the money until the 28th.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 June 2017 at 4:14PM
    Options
    By 28th you will not have had any drop in income and could have an increase, due to the addition of holiday pay, so there is no entitlement to benefit.
  • Johanno
    Options
    By the 28th, I will also have been out of work and not earning for nearly 2 weeks (assuming I haven't found work). It seems like I'm losing benefits just because I finished my job in the middle of the month rather than the end!
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    Do you normally get paid on the 28th of each month?
  • Johanno
    Options
    Yes I do. Is that relevant?
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    Johanno wrote: »
    Yes I do. Is that relevant?

Yes, of course it is.

There's no difference between this month and any other month then is there. You have your wages from 28th May which will last you until you get paid again as normal on 28th June.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, of course it is.

There's no difference between this month and any other month then is there. You have your wages from 28th May which will last you until you get paid again as normal on 28th June.

There will also be some holiday pay and redundancy money, so no hardship.

Am I correct in assuming that , when staring work the benefit is paid to cover until pay is received ?
  • Johanno
    edited 20 June 2017 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Yes, of course it is.

Did I mention at any point that I was worried that my wages this month wouldn't last me? That's not what my question or my point relates to at all. I am asking if I am entitled to any benefits for the time since Friday 16th June, when I finished working.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You've already been adviced that because of your pay which is due to you on 28th June you won't be entitled to any benefits. There's a certain amount of money the law says you need to live on and because of your pay which is due to you you're not entitled to benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure