IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

OH's car locked in car park!

Options
Just had OH on the phone to me, apparently he parked his car in the car park of the Stretford Arndale Centre in Manchester today, paid for parking until 5pm, went to get his car at 4.30pm to find te car park closed and locked up!

He did say there were no signs (that he saw) advertising the early closure (but he's not always the most observant person) but surely there should be something on the machines themselves, if they are going to let people pay for parking until after the place closes!

So he can't get his car till tomorrow now and will also presumably find a nice invoice on it when he does (car park seems to be managed by UKPC, though when you phone them they are closed, being a BH and all).

I will be helping him appeal the inevitable ticket (hopefully with the trusted assistance of this lovely place!), but it's lucky he doesn't need his car this evening!

:mad:

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If he's still there get him to take a photo of the machine showing that there was no warning and showing the time then he can prove he attempted to reclaim his car before his paid for time had elapsed.

Might also be worth checking the pedestrian exits to see if there were warnings and if there aren't, again, photographs for evidence.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • martin2345uk
    martin2345uk Posts: 907 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sadly I couldn't get hold of him again till he got home... quite a long walk!

He only took a photo of the sign of the car park giving the operation hours etc.

Interestingly it states charges apply on BH whereas on the website for the mall it states the car park is free on Bank Holidays.

Nice to see some consistency!!
  • martin2345uk
    Options
    Well he went to get his car and there wasn't a parking charge notice on it - just a small note saying the car park shut at 4!
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    has he asked for a refund for his hour yet?

wait for a ANPR ticket thru the post for exceeding the time purchased
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • martin2345uk
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    has he asked for a refund for his hour yet?

wait for a ANPR ticket thru the post for exceeding the time purchased

Yes that's what I said - made him take photos regardless, as I'm sure they won't want to miss the chance to get a bit of cash out of an innocent driver! :beer:
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I nearly got caught in a car park in Wellingborough

Passing through stopped for a curry, car park close for the swangate centre.

only as I was walking out did I see a sign it would be locked up in the next 20mins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure