Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dawdie
    • By dawdie 5th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dawdie
    1 year masters, uni never confirmed fees. Charging 2.6k more than next year
    • 5th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    1 year masters, uni never confirmed fees. Charging 2.6k more than next year 5th Mar 17 at 7:06 PM
    Hey,

As the title above states I feel like I am being shafted by my university. Prior to me starting the fees were listed as 10.5k however I was told that the fee was a placeholder and it was highly likely it would drop.

We got transferred over to another course which was an internal course and not advertised publicly. I inquired with the university how much my course fees were back in October, they told me they couldn't see a price for it and they would let me know (They never told me)

Come December I get an invoice for 10.5k (Getting annoyed because I was told it would be lower) I then also found out on the same day they published the fees for next year at 7.9k. I phoned the university up and they told me it would be corrected and I would be indeed paying the lower price.

I chase a few weeks later because it still hasn't been updated on my account and low behold I get told "We set our fees for the next year in advance and the 10.5k is correct"... In theory if they had set the fees in advance they should have been able to confirm it back in October...

After that they stone walled me and haven't responded to my emails, the student union has also been getting similar responses, to make it worse I found out that someone who went part time got offered the lower course fees (they don't start next year they continue their studies this academic year)

My accommodation by the university has been shambles as well, so far we have had power cuts, electrical fires and pipes bursting. The only thing that shines is that my course is respected by a lot of large companies who send staff on it

Sorry if it sounds like a rant but im wondering if anyone has any advice on how to proceed with this, 2.6k is a massive amount especially when im funding this with my own cash, it seems like the uni is just trying to charge us more now that we are committed to the course.

Im going to give my union a chance to push it again at their next meeting with the execs before im happy to name and shame

Cheers
    Last edited by dawdie; 05-03-2017 at 7:35 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,201Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: We are filming tomorrow in Torremolinos! If you're in the area, head to Branigans on Av. Palma de Mallorca between 5pm-6.45p?

• RT @mmhpi: ??The money and mental health manifesto - 10 steps to boost #mentalhealth & financial #wellbeing for Britain #GE2017 https://t.c?

• In Spain in a restaurant ready for filming in Torremolinos tomorrow (do come and see us if you're there) watching #mcfcmufc #CTID

• Follow Martin